U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Toronto more similar to?
US Midwest 63 68.48%
US Northeast 29 31.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 08:48 AM

37,250 posts, read 38,148,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
After all, Toronto is a Midwestern city...
You mean a Great Lakes city?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 08:52 AM

8,305 posts, read 14,097,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You mean a Great Lakes city?
Isn't everything after the Appalachians and before the Rockies the Midwest? Not being facetious here, that's just kind of how it's always worked in my head.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM

22,402 posts, read 36,897,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
When we say "like the northeast" I get them impression that we're basically "lots of rowhouses". In reality, northeast cities outside of the Big-4 aren't that rowhouse-centric. A handful of midwestern cities like Chicago, St Louis and Cincinnati have rowhouse neighborhoods.

well not sure, especially for smaller Mid Atlantic cities, many are loaded with row houses eactually

places like Hoboken, JC, Newark, Trenton (heck even AC had a lot historically), Reading, Allentown, Wilmington are all with a lot

Even smaller places like an Upper Darby, Chester, Norristown, Conshy have a lot

not as much north of the Mod Atlantic area though

Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,981,278 times
Midwest is an American term, it's not applicable to anywhere in Canada.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:19 AM

37,250 posts, read 38,148,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Isn't everything after the Appalachians and before the Rockies the Midwest? Not being facetious here, that's just kind of how it's always worked in my head.
"Midwest" isn't a Canadian designation though; "Great Lakes" is a shared one between Canada and the U.S.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 AM

1,851 posts, read 1,992,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
When we say "like the northeast" I get them impression that we're basically "lots of rowhouses". In reality, northeast cities outside of the Big-4 aren't that rowhouse-centric. A handful of midwestern cities like Chicago, St Louis and Cincinnati have rowhouse neighborhoods.
Chicago is an old city (by U.S. standards) without a ton of remaining 19th century architecture. Downtown has been basically rebuilt a few times at this point and tear downs are dime a dozen in trendy neighborhoods.

Chicago has some blocks of row homes in neighborhoods adjacent to or near downtown, but not much outside of that. Most of them burned down and were unable to be legally rebuilt under the revised Fire and Zoning Codes. River North historically has had a lot of row homes, but many have met the wrecking ball and been replaced by high rises. It's a shame too...they're quite beautiful.

West of downtown is a bit different. There's a lot of older, more historic buildings to be found, but many areas are former slums that just managed to stand the test of time. They're gentrifying, so that'll definitely make for some cool neighborhoods in the future. The University of Illinois at Chicago was actually an urban renewal project that wiped an entire neighborhood off the map. I think it was once the most densely populated neighborhood in the country?

I personally feel Toronto is more akin to Chicago than the NE. It may have pockets that feel like the "old world", but by and large it's mostly a product of modern architecture and planning practices like Chicago and other Midwest cities. Strong core with grid-based development spanning out in all directions.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,345,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Chicago is an old city (by U.S. standards) without a ton of remaining 19th century architecture. Downtown has been basically rebuilt a few times at this point and tear downs are dime a dozen in trendy neighborhoods.

Chicago has some blocks of row homes in neighborhoods adjacent to or near downtown, but not much outside of that. Most of them burned down and were unable to be legally rebuilt under the revised Fire and Zoning Codes. River North historically has had a lot of row homes, but many have met the wrecking ball and been replaced by high rises. It's a shame too...they're quite beautiful.
There are a fair number of extant rowhouses in Bronzeville and Hyde Park too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7974...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/place/54...899318!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8083...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 09-28-2016, 11:48 AM

429 posts, read 435,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I think Toronto is most like Chicago, but not like the Midwest outside of Chicago. Toronto is exceptionally diverse. Much more so than Chicago, Philly, or any other city in the US not NYC or LA. The vibe is incredibly international. As such, I think its more like the Northeast overall.
But we're talking about the urban form and structure. I did say vibrancy but more in the sense of foot traffic and street activities. I totally agree that as Canada's largest city Toronto has a much more cosmopolitan feel than all US cities besides NYC and LA. But we're talking about urban form, layout, and vibrancy/bustling-ness here.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM

429 posts, read 435,854 times
I'm surprised the Midwest is winning by so much.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 PM

8,305 posts, read 14,097,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Midwest is an American term, it's not applicable to anywhere in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Midwest" isn't a Canadian designation though; "Great Lakes" is a shared one between Canada and the U.S.
Ok, ok. I get that Midwest is a U.S. designation, but in my head I've always felt Toronto was more close aligned and situated to that part of the States than it is the east. Montreal, minus the French, has more in line with the Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City