U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which is Toronto more similar to?
US Midwest 63 68.48%
US Northeast 29 31.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2016, 09:10 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,183 posts, read 2,180,189 times
Reputation: 2027

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Maybe because you haven't been to both cities?
Wallahi, just asked my Toronto pal does Toronto remind him of Philly, he responded "Lol No."

I'll be in Philly soon, in need of some Jim's or Max's. But like I said before, I honestly can't see the comparison between Philly and Toronto. What are they?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2016, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
25,972 posts, read 34,779,915 times
Reputation: 10997
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Montreal, minus the French, has more in line with the Northeastern/Mid-Atlantic cities.
This is true to a point about the US NE and Mid-Atlantic cities that have some similarities with Montreal, but this still made me laugh.

It's like saying "aside from African-Americans, Detroit is quite in line with (insert name of city with low AA population"...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 AM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
8,304 posts, read 14,092,448 times
Reputation: 6825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is true to a point about the US NE and Mid-Atlantic cities that have some similarities with Montreal, but this still made me laugh.

It's like saying "aside from African-Americans, Detroit is quite in line with (insert name of city with low AA population"...
I should have worded that better. I meant people speaking French.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
6,329 posts, read 8,622,599 times
Reputation: 4028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Yeah, Cleveland and Detroit are much closer to Toronto the the big Bos-Wash cities, but they aren't really popular destinations for Torontonians in terms of places to go for vacation. Pittsburgh is fairly close to Toronto as well (5 hour drive), and it seems to me that it has become somewhat more popular lately as a place to visit, I think Torontonians are more intrigued by it than they are by Cleveland and Detroit.
Western PA has always been a popular place for Ontario residents to visit thanks to the Grove City Outlets though more probably keep heading south to the city now with the positive press Pittsburgh gets and its own high end mall (Ross Park). At Grove City, it's not uncommon for a quarter or more of the plates in the parking lot being from Canada. Last month when I was at the outlet mall, I saw the most Blue Jays gear I've seen since the last time I was in Toronto . Pittsburgh also offers very affordable NHL ticket prices and you do notice more than a few Leafs fans around the city when they're playing here.

When I went to Toronto last year, we went to the CN Tower and when we told the person operating the elevator we were from Pittsburgh, she asked us how close we were because she said they get a decent amount of Pittsburghers visiting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 09:24 AM
 
8,090 posts, read 6,341,501 times
Reputation: 9192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Western PA has always been a popular place for Ontario residents to visit thanks to the Grove City Outlets though more probably keep heading south to the city now with the positive press Pittsburgh gets and its own high end mall (Ross Park). At Grove City, it's not uncommon for a quarter or more of the plates in the parking lot being from Canada. Last month when I was at the outlet mall, I saw the most Blue Jays gear I've seen since the last time I was in Toronto . Pittsburgh also offers very affordable NHL ticket prices and you do notice more than a few Leafs fans around the city when they're playing here.
Really? The Niagara Falls outlets are so much better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
25,972 posts, read 34,779,915 times
Reputation: 10997
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I should have worded that better. I meant people speaking French.
OK, I get it, but it's still a huge "minus" (you said "minus the French"). Don't get me wrong, I am not offended. Just a bemused given that it's such a significant part of the character of the city.


Another metaphor would be "winters in Montreal are usually nice and warm except for the sub-zero temperatures and snow"...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 04:38 PM
 
1,462 posts, read 1,303,030 times
Reputation: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
IMHO, Toronto feels like a mashup of St. Louis (albeit and significantly larger version) and Chicago. I get the Philly references a bit, but I'd go with it has more in common with the Midwestern cities. After all, Toronto is a Midwestern city...
Wow.I swear I was typing the same thing you just said about St.Louis.Toronto is very much like many Midwestern cities.Its no contest.
Kennsington Market is a good example of a Midwestern neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 04:53 PM
 
1,669 posts, read 4,081,052 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Wow.I swear I was typing the same thing you just said about St.Louis.Toronto is very much like many Midwestern cities.Its no contest.
Kennsington Market is a good example of a Midwestern neighborhood.
Say whaaaa? I defy you to find any neighbourhood in the midwest that looks like Kensington Market.

https://goo.gl/maps/r2GLnZFfLuT2

With its narrow streets, ramshackle graffiti covered buildings and psychedelic rowhouses, the last place that comes to mind is a typical midwestern neighbourhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 05:03 PM
 
Location: alexandria, VA
16,361 posts, read 7,464,305 times
Reputation: 9726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Say whaaaa? I defy you to find any neighbourhood in the midwest that looks like Kensington Market.

https://goo.gl/maps/r2GLnZFfLuT2

With its narrow streets, ramshackle graffiti covered buildings and psychedelic rowhouses, the last place that comes to mind is a typical midwestern neighbourhood.
That neighborhood reminds me of parts of Pittsburgh.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2016, 05:18 PM
 
2,253 posts, read 3,455,360 times
Reputation: 1011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Wow.I swear I was typing the same thing you just said about St.Louis.Toronto is very much like many Midwestern cities.Its no contest.
Kennsington Market is a good example of a Midwestern neighborhood.
Kensington strikes me as very un-Midwestern. The Italian Market area of Philly reminds me more of Kensington than anywhere I've seen in the US.

If we want to compare Toronto to places in the US, I'd say it's a mix of Queens NY, Chicago and a bit of Philadelphia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top