U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is Toronto more similar to?
US Midwest 63 68.48%
US Northeast 29 31.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:36 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,336,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Or because Chicago isn't the "Mid-West".

Mid-West also implies cities like Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Columbus, etc. All cities that bear no resemblance to Toronto at all on any sort of tangible way.

Philadelphia and boroughs of NYC on the other hand actually resemble Toronto.
DO NOT IGNORE THIS REPLY ^^^^^

Chicago is clearly the Midwest. It's the flagship of midwestern city, but it is not the TEMPLATE of midwestern cities. Being "like Chicago" does not equal typically midwestern.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 11:29 AM

22,402 posts, read 36,869,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Reminds me of parts of San Francisco. Does anyone else see the similarities?

or could easily be Philly, actually that image reminds me more of Queens or Philly then SF, but with all places there are going to be areas that have a resemblance

Old 09-30-2016, 11:44 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,648,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto has thousands of row houses, most built in the bay and gable style which is unique to Toronto. They don't completely dominate the inner city like they do in Philadelphia, but they do make up a significant portion of the pre war housing stock in the oldest parts of the city, mostly in the neighbourhoods East and West of downtown.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Toron...HUXBD-kQsAQIGw

https://goo.gl/maps/eB8zFZnWyQC2

https://goo.gl/maps/fmJzm29Z4CQ2
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Some nice rows. Reminds a little bit of the area around Penn in Philly. University City.

I agree.

It reminds me so much of Philly that I think certain blocks could be especially dead-ringers for areas of South Philly and Germantown.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
Or because Chicago isn't the "Mid-West".

Mid-West also implies cities like Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Columbus, etc. All cities that bear no resemblance to Toronto at all on any sort of tangible way.

Philadelphia and boroughs of NYC on the other hand actually resemble Toronto.
^^^This is so true.^^^

Old 09-30-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto's walkability also sets it apart from just about any midwestern city, all the major neighbourhoods in the old city blend right into one another allowing the pedestrian to experience uninterrupted urbanity stretching for miles and miles.
Philly is also a very walkable city, especially Center City and the Art Museum area.

Additionally, the presence of so many city parks and sidewalks throughout the various city neighborhoods further encourage walkers, joggers, skaters, and bicyclists to get out and utilize their availability.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:43 PM

9,882 posts, read 14,885,862 times
The network of underground tunnels and climate controlled connections in downtown Toronto is very similar to downtown Minneapolis. I think Minneapolis would probably be the US city that most resembles Toronto. Also Toronto has a very strikingly modern skyline that also has parallels with the Sunbelt.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM

16,361 posts, read 7,460,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The network of underground tunnels and climate controlled connections in downtown Toronto is very similar to downtown Minneapolis. I think Minneapolis would probably be the US city that most resembles Toronto. Also Toronto has a very strikingly modern skyline that also has parallels with the Sunbelt.
I don't see it. Toronto's core is dense row house neighborhoods. I don't believe Minneapolis has any row houses at all, much less entire neighborhoods made up of row houses.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:53 PM

22,402 posts, read 36,869,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Philly actually has a quite extensive underground concourse, not all climate controlled and not widely used except for part but covers a large area of the DT. I have no real experience with either the Toronto or Minneapolis underground That said I am not the underground is the defining metric for any of the comparisons. Houston has a large climate controlled underground as well Cincy the skywalk etc but none are how I define the towns themselves

http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.452.s.jpg

Old 09-30-2016, 02:45 PM

14,086 posts, read 15,519,578 times
Even though Toronto's inner neighborhoods do have rowhouses, I feel like they give a more similar vibe to Chicago rather than Philly because of the setback. Toronto rows, even when 19th century, never seem to be built right to the sidewalk. Some areas of Philly of course do have setbacks, like much of West Philly, but the setbacks seem smaller due to the omnipresent porches. In contrast, Chicago houses in older neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are usually detached, but spaced very close together, with a seemingly useless "front lawn" stuck in front of them, which is much more reminiscent of Toronto.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:22 PM

234 posts, read 131,577 times
Toronto is a Great Lakes city, so, not surprisingly, looks like other Great Lakes cities, which are generally considered Midwestern. Also, Toronto is a relatively young city, so didn't develop the rowhouses and pre-auto infrastructure of the biggest Eastern cities in the U.S. and Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City