Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More important overall?
Greater Boston 56 72.73%
Greater Philadelphia 21 27.27%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM

313 posts, read 336,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Logan Airport is now busier than PHL, and has more int'l air service. It also has more service to the West Coast.

Boston historically relied less on manufacturing than Philly did, and more on trade and commerce. Philly was its own manufacturing hub, while New England relied heavily on the Merrimack River Valley cities as well as places like Worcester and Fall River. Continuing this emphasis on commerce today, Boston has a disproportionately high number of top wage jobs, particularly in biotech and finance, and its office space and real estate are far more expensive than Philly's.

Nothing against Philly as a place, especially with many charming neighborhoods, but Boston is a more significant city.
It's would stand too reason that Logan has a higher intentional air service being Boston is the only regional airport serving all of New England it's nearest Int'l airport would be over two hundred and fifty miles south .Philadelphia on the other hand has two very large metro areas on its northern and southern borders , but that gives the people in the Philly region more choices and lower air fares ie Newark and BWI .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,177 times
Ive been to Boston and while I do think it is a great city, I didnt feel like I was in a city that was eons ahead of Philly. Philly is more rough around the edges and definitely more artsy which I prefer.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:21 PM

6,711 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
It's would stand too reason that Logan has a higher intentional air service being Boston is the only regional airport serving all of New England it's nearest Int'l airport.
But then why is Boston's international air service growing so much faster than Philly's?

Also, why does Philly have about 1/2 the California service Boston has?

And if BWI is really competing for so many Philly passengers, why does that airport have virtually no transatlantic service and very limited West Coast service?

Old 10-01-2016, 02:28 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
From someone from south America...Bost is more known. Most people know Boston for their educational institutions and good jobs... Many ppl (at least where I'm from) have not even heard of Philly, while Boston is much more well known.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:41 PM

40 posts, read 41,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
From someone from south America...Bost is more known. Most people know Boston for their educational institutions and good jobs... Many ppl (at least where I'm from) have not even heard of Philly, while Boston is much more well known.
This may proved your point:

Overseas Visitors, 2015 ranking US cities

10. Boston: 1.609 million

15. Philadelphia: 680,000

Old 10-01-2016, 03:45 PM

151 posts, read 124,346 times
Quote:
But then why is Boston's international air service growing so much faster than Philly's?

Also, why does Philly have about 1/2 the California service Boston has?

And if BWI is really competing for so many Philly passengers, why does that airport have virtually no transatlantic service and very limited West Coast service?

Is Logan 1:30 from EWR like PHL is?

Boston just caught up to Philly. Think about that for a second. And then consider Philly is twice as close to NYC as Boston.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Philly named among world's top 'Knowledge Capitals'

Quote:
Philadelphia and the other Knowledge Capitals are classified as "supremely well-educated," and serve as centers for new ideas and technologically advanced products. San Francisco and San Jose are known for their biotechnology, information technology, and digital services. The group includes other "global nodes of information technology (San Diego, Seattle, and Stockholm), life sciences (Boston and Philadelphia), medical technology (Minneapolis), and semiconductor manufacturing (Austin and Portland)," the report stated.

Old 10-01-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Yes, Harvard will do that.

It doesn't make Philly any less prominent or significant.

Boston and Philadelphia are almost twin cities. The US was founded in Philadelphia.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:47 PM

6,711 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirite View Post
Is Logan 1:30 from EWR like PHL is?
Logan handles more pax on international air carriers than EWR. Yet you're saying EWR still somehow pulls so many people from Philly, even though its nearly 100 miles away, and most of EWR's int'l service in on United, while Philly's an American hub.

Last edited by TheseGoTo11; 10-01-2016 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Logan handles more pax on international air carriers than EWR. Yet you're saying EWR still somehow pulls so many people from Philly, even though its nearly 100 miles away, and most of EWR's int'l service in on United, yet Philly's an American hub.
I am really not sure how many people actually do use EWR instead of PHL, but at least where I grew up in Bucks, people went to Newark. I didn't ever go to PHL until I was in HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Ive been to Boston and while I do think it is a great city, I didnt feel like I was in a city that was eons ahead of Philly. Philly is more rough around the edges and definitely more artsy which I prefer.
It isn't eons ahead, but it definitely passed the philly area 25-30 years ago.

This is topic is definitely something discussed in the Philadelphia area. You can dig up a half dozen articles from just this year in our newspapers asking the very question, what is Boston doing that we are not?

What Boston has and Philly lacks in biotech

One of the more interesting theories is that Philadelphia up until this decade, Philly never tried to leverage their academic institutions in ways that could translate into commercial enterprises and spur a start up culture in line with places like Boston and San Francisco.

Another unspoken element of Philadelphia's fall from importance is the financial footprint or lack there of. NYC turned into a blackhole of consolidation in the banking industry.

Quote:
From 1983 to 1998, seven of the eight largest locally based institutions succumbed to acquisitive initiatives by larger so-called “super-regional” organizations. Those transactions robbed Philadelphia of its place as a headquarters city for prominent commercial banks. Philadelphia National Bank (PNB) emerged as the only locally based super-regional. It adopted the name CoreStates Financial and acquired banks in Lancaster, Reading, Trenton, and Philadelphia. Only the PNB sign atop the building at Broad and Chestnut Streets remained to hint of that institution’s legacy. (In 1998, Charlotte’s First Union Corporation acquired CoreStates, but a decade later First Union became part of Wells Fargo, headquartered in San Francisco.)
Banking | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Still, you will see rankings ,as mentioned by amirite, that have the cities in similar categories

https://www.brookings.edu/research/r...global-cities/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City