Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city does best at leveraging their respective Colleges and Universities for Urban Economic Rev
Austin 17 21.79%
Charlotte 0 0%
Atlanta 28 35.90%
Houston 5 6.41%
Nashville 28 35.90%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Georgia State University being located in the heart of downtown should put Atlanta on top in this survey. It has been the catalyst for numerous refurbished high rise buildings and several new residential high rises and complexes in it's ever-expanding on-campus residential movement. There are tons of new buildings that have been proposed and should start as soon as Turner Field is demolished this year, making up an entire village of low and high rise buildings along with new football and baseball stadiums amongst a retail and entertainment district. It's one of the most exciting developments on the board for downtown right now, along with new residential at Underground - which is also related to GSU and its proximity. There is another high rise residential building proposed directly across from The Commons, which itself is a 2,000 student 15-floor complex built less than 10 years ago, and Piedmont Central - just opened this August with about 1,200 beds. I would love to post photos of all the refurbished buildings GSU has revived, but let's just say there have been dozens along with several newly-built classroom and research buildings mixed in. GSU has truly changed the face of downtown and brought thousands of new residents into the mix to create livelier streets and a more 24-hour atmosphere.

This is not to diminish Tech Square in Midtown, which has connected Georgia Tech campus into Midtown with the park-like 5th Street bridge making the connection and future plans for more capping of I75/85 for better connectivity. Tech Square has revived a derelict section of Midtown that was mostly parking lots and lifeless buildings just a decade or so ago. This has spawned a new high-performance computing center (CODA) that will rise above the square AND NCR's new double tower headquarters building that is currently under construction. Add to these several residential high rises for both Tech students and market-value apartments and we suddenly a new lively district in the southwest section of Midtown that has grown up organically and still has several proposals that look very promising to begin shortly. This is a very hot corner of the city at the moment, and most (if not all) of it is due to the presence of Georgia Tech.

In addition to Emory University, which is on the table to be annexed into the city in the near future and has massive construction going on around its campus and the related CDC, these two urban universities have transformed both downtown and Midtown in recent years...even going back to the Olympics that brought new sporting facilities and new dorms for Tech in the form of the Olympic village. I can't imagine any of the other universities listed - great as they are and great as the cities they are in may be - having a similar impact on their respective cities. I don't know exactly where development in urban Atlanta would be without GSU and Georgia Tech, but it wouldn't be quite on the level that it is right now.

Okay, long post...sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 12:59 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Georgia State University being located in the heart of downtown should put Atlanta on top in this survey. It has been the catalyst for numerous refurbished high rise buildings and several new residential high rises and complexes in it's ever-expanding on-campus residential movement. There are tons of new buildings that have been proposed and should start as soon as Turner Field is demolished this year, making up an entire village of low and high rise buildings along with new football and baseball stadiums amongst a retail and entertainment district. It's one of the most exciting developments on the board for downtown right now, along with new residential at Underground - which is also related to GSU and its proximity. There is another high rise residential building proposed directly across from The Commons, which itself is a 2,000 student 15-floor complex built less than 10 years ago, and Piedmont Central - just opened this August with about 1,200 beds. I would love to post photos of all the refurbished buildings GSU has revived, but let's just say there have been dozens along with several newly-built classroom and research buildings mixed in. GSU has truly changed the face of downtown and brought thousands of new residents into the mix to create livelier streets and a more 24-hour atmosphere.

This is not to diminish Tech Square in Midtown, which has connected Georgia Tech campus into Midtown with the park-like 5th Street bridge making the connection and future plans for more capping of I75/85 for better connectivity. Tech Square has revived a derelict section of Midtown that was mostly parking lots and lifeless buildings just a decade or so ago. This has spawned a new high-performance computing center (CODA) that will rise above the square AND NCR's new double tower headquarters building that is currently under construction. Add to these several residential high rises for both Tech students and market-value apartments and we suddenly a new lively district in the southwest section of Midtown that has grown up organically and still has several proposals that look very promising to begin shortly. This is a very hot corner of the city at the moment, and most (if not all) of it is due to the presence of Georgia Tech.

In addition to Emory University, which is on the table to be annexed into the city in the near future and has massive construction going on around its campus and the related CDC, these two urban universities have transformed both downtown and Midtown in recent years...even going back to the Olympics that brought new sporting facilities and new dorms for Tech in the form of the Olympic village. I can't imagine any of the other universities listed - great as they are and great as the cities they are in may be - having a similar impact on their respective cities. I don't know exactly where development in urban Atlanta would be without GSU and Georgia Tech, but it wouldn't be quite on the level that it is right now.

Okay, long post...sorry.
Thank you for your clear and accurate post. All these projects will definitely be a catalyst for more development. As Nashvols stated, Belmont appears to be doing the most in terms of spurring development. Vanderbilt has definitely spurred development on 21st and Broadway. Meharry, Fisk, and Trevecca are majorly slept on areas that should be much more vibrant than they are. It doesn't help that they are located in poor and low-income neighborhoods either. Lipscomb and TSU(main campus) are largely suburban campuses with fringe development. Nashville State and MTSU are also suburban campuses.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Thank you for your clear and accurate post. All these projects will definitely be a catalyst for more development. As Nashvols stated, Belmont appears to be doing the most in terms of spurring development. Vanderbilt has definitely spurred development on 21st and Broadway. Meharry, Fisk, and Trevecca are majorly slept on areas that should be much more vibrant than they are. It doesn't help that they are located in poor and low-income neighborhoods either. Lipscomb and TSU(main campus) are largely suburban campuses with fringe development. Nashville State and MTSU are also suburban campuses.
I didn't even mention Atlanta University Center, including Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark-Atlanta. I'm not sure how much construction is going on there and they are located in what many consider a transitional area of the city that has seen some gentrification in recent years. Someone else may have more information on how these colleges/universities are growing and if they are spawning any growth in the area. I think there is massive opportunity there for improving the area surrounding these campuses if it isn't already happening, but some of those surrounding streets are pretty rough.

I haven't gotten up to Nashville lately but would love to see the development around Vanderbilt and Belmont. I wouldn't have even though about Belmont being such a big contributor, but it must be growing. I think people sort of forget about it and immediately think of Vanderbilt when they think of Nashville universities.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:15 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I didn't even mention Atlanta University Center, including Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark-Atlanta. I'm not sure how much construction is going on there and they are located in what many consider a transitional area of the city that has seen some gentrification in recent years. Someone else may have more information on how these colleges/universities are growing and if they are spawning any growth in the area. I think there is massive opportunity there for improving the area surrounding these campuses if it isn't already happening, but some of those surrounding streets are pretty rough.

I haven't gotten up to Nashville lately but would love to see the development around Vanderbilt and Belmont. I wouldn't have even though about Belmont being such a big contributor, but it must be growing. I think people sort of forget about it and immediately think of Vanderbilt when they think of Nashville universities.
There are many other private colleges and universities in the area, but these are the ones most discussed. The other issue not being discussed with Nashville is the lack of a comprehensive plan for urban development that includes the colleges and universities. Because Belmont and Vanderbilt are located in or near historic areas such as Music Row, historic preservationists, nimbys, and commercial business owners who refuse to sell or improve their properties all have a stake in those areas. The city has been caught in the crosshairs, preventing many of the large scale amenities/shopping/residences that would add urban depth to the area like you are seeing take place in Atlanta. The projects that are under construction or proposed will take many years to see the affect on the area. There are also no bike lanes, Marta stations, pedestrian friendly plazas, or rapid BUS transit stations to make it easier for students and residents to get around. Not to be doom and gloom, but Nashville has so much potential, yet is far behind on making infrastructure improvements.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM

226 posts, read 280,586 times
Austin Atlanta Houston Nashville.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:35 PM

31 posts, read 43,745 times
Nashville and Atl has my vote

Old 01-29-2017, 04:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Which World Cities Have the Best Universities? - CityLab

Based on this, Only Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham have 2 top 100 universities in the world in the South.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:07 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Which World Cities Have the Best Universities? - CityLab

Based on this, Only Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham have 2 top 100 universities in the world in the South.
Not sure how that's relevant to the discussion though.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:31 AM

182 posts, read 226,238 times
I got atl and nashville.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:39 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
A new development being spurred by University of Houston is The Icon, which is being built along the light rail line:
Amenities for Student Living | The Icon

Site of development:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7280...7i13312!8i6656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City