Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 06:27 PM

153 posts, read 164,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
How is it implied? If you type in 'Tallest Structure in the World' guess what pops up at #3: The KVLY-TV mast in North Dakota.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...%20the%20world

You should really pay attention to your "facts." Your credibility is already in the gutter.
I say let Torontonians claim their CN Tower. After all its Concrete and not mere iron or steel like the Eiffel Tower.
Oh and being SACRED to them. We really should you know. After all Da Sears and Da Big John in Da Chi-Town are merely Antennas. They don't even count for Da buildings official height. A Spire does though. That's what gave the nod to the Freedom Tower in NYC over Da Sears because Antennas don't count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
I'm going to assume neither of you have ever seen the CN tower in person let alone ever been near it?

But this tower is sacred to Torontonians so topic dropped.
I do like Toronto's CN Tower. It does stand out. But being sacred. There probably will never be a building that will dare build taller then it?
Quote:
It is the tallest free standing structure in North America and the Western Hemisphere. Hope that clears up the confusion for you.
Ya know? Antennas don't stand on their own. They need a building . But STILL---->Da Antennas on Da buildings are like Da CANDLES on Da CAKE and Da STAR on Da TREE and its as Da CROWN too. Kinda like make them Chicago ROYALTY. Ya know? Maybe they are even sacred too?

But Ya know----> Chicago's Trump Tower building does have a little Spire. Ya know something too. I heard the Owners of Da Big John wanted to Change something and alter the outside sunken in Plaza it has? But were told try couldn't. Must have some aspects of a Landmark status? So I think even THOSE 2 MERE STEEL ANTENNAS probably couldn't be removed when obsolete.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 12-10-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
I don't think you will ever see the day when Toronto allows a skyscraper taller than the CN Tower. It's an icon for the city and should stay that way.

I for one have never been a big fan of the Toronto skyline but I absolutely love the CN Tower. Now it looks even better with the lighting. It's a gracious and beautiful structure that has aged well and yet isn't gaudy like so many of the new ones in Asia.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I don't think you will ever see the day when Toronto allows a skyscraper taller than the CN Tower. It's an icon for the city and should stay that way.

I for one have never been a big fan of the Toronto skyline but I absolutely love the CN Tower. Now it looks even better with the lighting. It's a gracious and beautiful structure that has aged well and yet isn't gaudy like so many of the new ones in Asia.
Sorry but CN Tower is really not that pleasing to the eye. Especially when it's practically the focal point for all tourists visiting Toronto, making it a "must-see" stop (along with the stupid Ripley's Sea World under the tower) and making that area perpetually one of the worst traffic congestions in the city throughout the year. Only worth visiting if you enjoy spending an hour waiting inline just to ride an elevator on steroids and taking some pictures. Almost like paying to get up the John Hancock Tower in Chicago.

There are far more interesting neighborhoods in Toronto that should be on a tourist's map than a TV tower and elevator ride.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:45 PM

615 posts, read 599,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Sorry but CN Tower is really not that pleasing to the eye. Especially when it's practically the focal point for all tourists visiting Toronto, making it a "must-see" stop (along with the stupid Ripley's Sea World under the tower) and making that area perpetually one of the worst traffic congestions in the city throughout the year. Only worth visiting if you enjoy spending an hour waiting inline just to ride an elevator on steroids and taking some pictures. Almost like paying to get up the John Hancock Tower in Chicago.

There are far more interesting neighborhoods in Toronto that should be on a tourist's map than a TV tower and elevator ride.
That's your opinion. The CN Tower is a Toronto icon, and makes for some incredible and unique urban views whether you're approaching Toronto from afar, up close, or just walking around the city. Not to mention the skyline views especially at night with the light show.

It's a very desirable landmark that sets Toronto's skyline apart from other major North American cities that may have many tall rectangular buildings but go without an iconic focal point of this caliber (height + uniqueness).

This includes Chicago, and I would argue even NYC after the collapse of the twin towers (which were far more iconic and impactful on the skyline than 1WTC is today IMO).

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 12-13-2016 at 08:03 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
That's your opinion. The CN Tower is a Toronto icon, and makes for some incredible and unique urban views whether you're approaching Toronto from afar, up close, or just walking around the city. Not to mention the skyline views especially at night with the light show.

It's a very desirable landmark that sets Toronto's skyline apart from other major North American cities that may have many tall rectangular buildings but go without an iconic focal point of this caliber (height + uniqueness).

This includes Chicago, and I would argue even NYC after the collapse of the twin towers (which were far more iconic and impactful on the skyline than 1WTC is today IMO).
New York has more class in its pinky than Toronto will ever have. Call me when Toronto has the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Terminal, Brooklyn Bridge, Woolworth Building, Municipal Building, Crown Building, Waldorf-Astoria Building, Golden Domes of Flatiron District, Flatiron Building, Cast-Iron Balconies of Soho. You talk about 'boxy skylines' yet are apparently oblivious to the fact that New York is a city of spires?

You're more delirious than I thought.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
New York has more class in its pinky than Toronto will ever have. Call me when Toronto has the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Terminal, Brooklyn Bridge, Woolworth Building, Municipal Building, Crown Building, Waldorf-Astoria Building, Golden Domes of Flatiron District, Flatiron Building, Cast-Iron Balconies of Soho. You talk about 'boxy skylines' yet are apparently oblivious to the fact that New York is a city of spires?

You're more delirious than I thought.
NYC has a lot of landmarks but it was always the WTC that anchored the skyline.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
NYC has a lot of landmarks but it was always the WTC that anchored the skyline.
New York's skyline had been world famous for 70 years before the WTC even existed. So it did not always "anchor" the skyline. Not even that, from 1974 to 2001 it only anchored Lower Manhattan. ESB has always been the King of Midtown and Midtown's stock of skyscrapers is vastly larger and more striking than Lower Manhattan.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
New York's skyline had been world famous for 70 years before the WTC even existed. So it did not always "anchor" the skyline. Not even that, from 1974 to 2001 it only anchored Lower Manhattan. ESB has always been the King of Midtown and Midtown's stock of skyscrapers is vastly larger and more striking than Lower Manhattan.
I wouldn't say that ESB even today is the anchor of NYC's skyline, that would be 1WTC - even if it does represent just lower Manhattan. It is the view most associate with Manhattan.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say that ESB even today is the anchor of NYC's skyline, that would be 1WTC - even if it does represent just lower Manhattan. It is the view most associate with Manhattan.
In what world do you live in?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Empire State Building will always be king. Even as all these new skyscrapers are going up that are taller than it, ESB is still #1. I think it will always be the face of the NYC skyline.

Also, the new World Trade Center will look much more complete once the other WTC towers go up. 3 WTC recently topped out and should be a more prominent part of the skyline soon, then there's just 2 WTC left after that. And we don't call it the freedom tower anymore. It's 1 WTC.

I loved the twin towers but they were much more boxy, plain, and rectangular than the new World Trade Center buildings. And the NYC skyline is probably the most iconic in the world. NYC has had many iconic buildings in its skyline before and after the twin towers.

Out of these cities, I actually think San Francisco has the most iconic skyline, despite it being small. I think the CN tower might be the only real icon in the Toronto skyline. I'm not sure how well-known it is internationally though. I definitely wouldn't say more iconic than NYC, not even close.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-13-2016 at 11:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City