Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:29 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Washington DC is the best, so much to see and do
The DC metro probably has the best prospects. If VRE and MARC operate together as a RER or S-Bahn type of service and Baltimore becomes a stronger commercial center (and Baltimore is likely to post its first official census increase in population which is a big deal as the last time this happened was the 1950 census), then it's really got a stew going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The DC metro probably has the best prospects. If VRE and MARC operate together as a RER or S-Bahn type of service and Baltimore becomes a stronger commercial center (and Baltimore is likely to post its first official census increase in population which is a big deal as the last time this happened was the 1950 census), then it's really got a stew going.
Yea Charm City's got to get its acts together...esp its inner city schools, transport system, crime, poverty, etc. etc. I think it's a great place to live and relatively affordable compared to DC, and has a down-to-earth grit about it that grows on you slowly. I did my undergrad at Hopkins and still have many fond memories of the city and its eclectic neighborhoods.

Bmore even has a subway line and a few LRT lines directly from BWI airport. The infrastructure is there, just very under-utilized and needs a lot of cleanup and ramp-up.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:11 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Yea Charm City's got to get its acts together...esp its inner city schools, transport system, crime, poverty, etc. etc. I think it's a great place to live and relatively affordable compared to DC, and has a down-to-earth grit about it that grows on you slowly. I did my undergrad at Hopkins and still have many fond memories of the city and its eclectic neighborhoods.

Bmore even has a subway line and a few LRT lines directly from BWI airport. The infrastructure is there, just very under-utilized and needs a lot of cleanup and ramp-up.
Baltimore doing well is key to the whole region doing well. I think if some of the plans outlined for MARC come to fruition such far more frequent service, especially between Baltimore and Washington, and interlining of several lines within Baltimore proper (essentially what Washington Metro and BART do currently in their respective urban cores), then these would help provide a strong boost towards improving Baltimore.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:47 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Speaking of Baltimore, there sure are a lot of vacation destinations out of BWI...I was looking at secondary airports and decided to post this.

Direct Flights to/from Non-Canadian or US airports:

Baltimore-BWI: 13
Aruba
Cancun
Freeport( Bahamas)
Fort-de-France
Liberia( Costa Rica)
London-Heathrow
Montego Bay
Nassau
Pointe-à-Pitre
Punta Cana
Reykjavik-Keflavik
San Jose( Costa Rica)
San Jose del Cabo

Reagan National-DCA: 2
Bermuda
Nassau

Chicago-Midway-MDW: 8
Cancun
Durango
Guadalajara
Leon/ El Bajio
Montego Bay
Morelia
Punta Cana
Zacatecas

San Jose-SJC: 7
Beijing-Capital
Frankfurt
Guadalajara
London-Heathrow
San Jose del Cabo
Shanghai-Pudong
Tokyo-Narita

Oakland-OAK: 14
Barcelona
Copenhagen
Guadalajara
Leon/ El Bajio
Lisbon
London-Gatwick
Mexico City
Morelia
Oslo-Gardermoen
Puerto Vallarta
San Jose del Cabo
Stockholm-Arlanda
Terceira( Azores)
Tijuana

Toronto-Billy Bishop-YTZ:
No direct flights to/ from Non-Canadian or US airports

Old 10-12-2016, 11:26 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Speaking of Baltimore, there sure are a lot of vacation destinations out of BWI...I was looking at secondary airports and decided to post this.

Direct Flights to/from Non-Canadian or US airports:

Baltimore-BWI: 13
Aruba
Cancun
Freeport( Bahamas)
Fort-de-France
Liberia( Costa Rica)
London-Heathrow
Montego Bay
Nassau
Pointe-à-Pitre
Punta Cana
Reykjavik-Keflavik
San Jose( Costa Rica)
San Jose del Cabo

Reagan National-DCA: 2
Bermuda
Nassau

Chicago-Midway-MDW: 8
Cancun
Durango
Guadalajara
Leon/ El Bajio
Montego Bay
Morelia
Punta Cana
Zacatecas

San Jose-SJC: 7
Beijing-Capital
Frankfurt
Guadalajara
London-Heathrow
San Jose del Cabo
Shanghai-Pudong
Tokyo-Narita

Oakland-OAK: 14
Barcelona
Copenhagen
Guadalajara
Leon/ El Bajio
Lisbon
London-Gatwick
Mexico City
Morelia
Oslo-Gardermoen
Puerto Vallarta
San Jose del Cabo
Stockholm-Arlanda
Terceira( Azores)
Tijuana

Toronto-Billy Bishop-YTZ:
No direct flights to/ from Non-Canadian or US airports
This is because Toronto Person International Airport handles of the international travel. That's why the word "international" is in the title of the airport. Billy Bishop is a city airport.

Besides close by U.S./Canadian cities, it's not an international airport. That's why the word "city" in the title of the airport name (Billy Bishop City Airport).

Maybe you missed this well written detailed post earlier:

"By international service destinations (excluding American ones for Toronto and Canadian ones for Chicago/San Francisco/Washington to make it fair) it would be Toronto first, then Chicago, then a wash between San Francisco and Washington DC.

Toronto has direct service destinations to all 6 inhabitable continents on Earth. That is a very big deal, only half-a-dozen cities worldwide have that capability within their grasp."

//www.city-data.com/forum/45745771-post40.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does SF has a single international airport that travels to all six inhabitable. I honestly don't know...

Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
This is because Toronto Person International Airport handles of the international travel.
Really, you think no one knew that? And what does this have to do with my post? Im talking specifically about secondary airports.

Quote:
That's why the word "city" in the title of the airport name (Billy Bishop City Airport).
It doesnt have to have the word 'international' in the title to ha e international flights. Reagan in DC and Bush in Houston dont have 'international' in their titles.

And you take a chill pill sweetie-its not that serious.

Quote:
Toronto has direct service destinations to all 6 inhabitable continents on Earth. That is a very big deal, only half-a-dozen cities worldwide have that capability within their grasp."
That's nice, but China's economy is larger than Africa and South America combined and guess which North American city has the most direct flights to Chinese cities?

Hint: not you.

Toronto Pearson Intl to / from China:4
Beijing-Capital
Guangzhou
Hong Kong
Shanghai-Pudong

San Francisco Bay to/ from China: 10
Beijing-Capital
Chengdu
Guangzhou
Hangzhou
Hong Kong
Kunming
Qingdao
Shanghai-Pudong
Wuhan
Xi'an

Old 10-12-2016, 12:37 PM

103 posts, read 96,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I actually do need a new watch, lol. My current watch is old and scratched up, but are you sure about that?

Was this a recent change? I clearly remember the subways being closed before the bar was (last call is 2am in Toronto). Drunk me was pissed off about it, because I'm from NYC and our subways keep going 24/7 (and our bars stay open later too). I think it's a serious design flaw not just in Toronto, but many cities like SF too where subways stop running before bars close. I mean, I know there are buses, but I hate buses lol.

So I clearly remember the subway being closed before the bar. Drunk me had a little "culture shock" (lol) I don't live in Toronto and have only been once, so I don't know as much about it as many of a lot of people here but straight from the website it says 1:30.

https://www.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Fr...nformation.jsp

Someone else on this thread corrected/informed me that Toronto subways close around 1:30 too after I made that post
No. Toronto's subway routes COMPLETE their last runs close to 2:30am.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:44 PM

The last westbound subway train leaves Islington Station at 2:14am 7 nights a week:

TTC Islington Station

The last eastbound subway train leaves Warden Station at 2:13am 7 nights a week:

TTC Warden Station

The last northbound train leaves Wilson Station at 2:05am:

TTC Wilson Station

The last northbound train leaves NYCC Station at 2:12am:

TTC North York Centre Station

Old 10-12-2016, 12:51 PM

615 posts, read 600,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Really, you think no one knew that? And what does this have to do with my post? Im talking specifically about secondary airports.

It doesnt have to have the word 'international' in the title to ha e international flights. Reagan in DC and Bush in Houston dont have 'international' in their titles.

And you take a chill pill sweetie-its not that serious.

That's nice, but China's economy is larger than Africa and South America combined and guess which North American city has the most direct flights to Chinese cities?

Hint: not you.

Toronto Pearson Intl to / from China:4
Beijing-Capital
Guangzhou
Hong Kong
Shanghai-Pudong

San Francisco Bay to/ from China: 10
Beijing-Capital
Chengdu
Guangzhou
Hangzhou
Hong Kong
Kunming
Qingdao
Shanghai-Pudong
Wuhan
Xi'an
Billy Bishop is not the only secondary airport in the Toronto metropolis, it's a small city airport off the lake reserved mainly for propeller planes which provide a kickass view of the skyline upon landing.

Toronto is on the east coast so it's not going to access many Chinese destinations. Vancouver does that for Canada.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM

San Francisco has such a quaint, charming skyline. It evokes images of mom and pop shops and simple but friendly folk who will invite you inside for a glass of lemonade and some homemade brownies.

Numbers of 500+ foot buildings u/c:

Toronto: 26
San Francisco: 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City