Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times

Advertisements

Just as an FYI, there are no nonstop flights from Toronto to Australia. I've seen people throwing around "flights to 6 continents" but that's not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 04:36 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh yeah, about this..."105"( snickers)

A whopping 49 of these destinations are to Caribbean and Central American vacation towns. San Franciscans dont evacuate the country when winter comes...so now I get it.

Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Belize City
Bermuda
Camaguey
Cancun
Cayo Coyo
Cayo Largo
Cienfuegos

Cozumel
CuraƧao
Faro
Freeport( Bahamas)
Georgetown( Jamaica)
Grand Cayman
Grenada
Havana
Holgui
Huatulco

Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo
Kingston
Lamezia Terme
La Romana
Liberia( CR)
Manzanillo
Mazatlan
Montego Bay
Panama City
Ponta Delgado

Port of Spain
Porto
Puerto Plata
Puerto Vallarta
Punta Cana
Providenciales
Rio Hato
Roatan
St Kitts
St Lucia

St Maarten
Samana
San Juan
San Jose de Costa Rica
San Jose del Cabo
Santa Clara( Cuba)
Santiago del Cuba
Terceira
Varadero

Wow...yall sure do love Cuba. Lol
That's 49 places in your list.

105 - 49 = 56 places YYZ travels to outside of U.S./Canada/Caribbean.

49 > 45
56 > 45

SFO's total number # of direct flights outside U.S./Canada = 45 (lol)
(8 of those 45 are in China lol. That's for pointing that out earlier).

Old 10-13-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I wanna talk about that video. I love videos like that.

First, being from NYC I completely understand how that is. Obviously nobody enjoys the high rent prices, and it is a huge downside of both the Bay Area and NYC, but it also kind of really says something about the city if people go to such amazing legnths just to live there. She said she could easily afford to live somewhere else, but she doesn't want to! She'd rather live in a garage than live somewhere else. It's kind of beautiful in a way. I understand exactly how she feels because that's how I feel in NYC.

Second, you guys keep posting that video as a way to bash the Bay Area, like "look at this poor lady, she's living in a garage", but she says multiple times in the video that she's very happy. She says that she's proud of her living situation and that she loves living there, and it works for her. Who cares as long as she is happy?

Third, it's not just a garage, but more like a garage that was converted into a separate apartment. It used to be a garage but no longer is anymore. She even has a bathroom and everything. Maybe it's the New Yorker in me, but I don't see much of a problem? I know that Bay Area rents are similar to NYC, and to be honest for $1000 that would be an amazing deal in NYC too. That's a lot of space for only $1000, and she gets her own apartment too! I pay close to that in my monthly rent in Brooklyn and my space is not too much bigger (not counting my roommates bedrooms), and I have 2 roommates to share with. Again, maybe this is just the New Yorker in me.

And FYI trying to make another city look bad doesn't necessarily make yours any better. It just pisses people off and then we get all this back and forth arguing.

Question: would you guys stay in your city/area if rent prices were on NYC/Bay area level? This question can be directed to anyone. I think it shows how great a city is and how much people really love/want to live there when people go through extremes like that.

Because I love videos like that so much, here is a similar one like that in an even smaller space in Manhattan:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU
Good post, though I can't imagine how it is to like like that, why anyone would want to live like that.

There was a video of a guy looking for a home in SF, and he found a van or ice cream truck or something that was parked outside on a 24/7 free parking residential street... and the ad said it you can live in this for $700 a month. Kinda outrageous. If I find it I'll post it.

NYC is a different type of city though, but I'm sure one can find some cheaper/reasonable places to live in Westchester County or out in Jersey. People can still live in the NYC area. Cant say the same for the Bay area where multiple areas have housing prices/rents through the roof. Its sad for your average Joe.

It seems like with SF, you leave the city and cross over it Oakland and its that same problem over there (Oakland has the 4th highest rents in the country), or you head southbound and your finding $1000/month garages. Cross over from Manhattan into Newark NJ and the average rent is $1300/month.

I know NYC is embracing the micro apartment style living but that most for Manhattan where space is scarce. One can still live in the NYC area and not be paying those overpriced SF/Bay Area prices in various parts of the region.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
And passenger volume Toronto isnt close to SFO

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic
Yup.

Only 45 direct flights outside of Canada/U.S. = more connecting flights = more passengers passing through SFO to connect to where they are going.

That list also has Charlotte's airport with "more" passenger traffic than Toronto. I was looking at possibly going to New Orleans next year and saw on online that the connecting flight was in Charlotte. Mystery solved.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:39 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
That's 49 places in your list.

105 - 49 = 56 places YYZ travels to outside of U.S./Canada/Caribbean.

49 > 45
56 > 45

SFO's total number # of direct flights outside U.S./Canada = 45 (lol)
(8 of those 45 are in China lol. That's for pointing that out earlier).

Hahaha fyi this isnt how to respond after being pwned. Majesvya look worse.

L O L

Tell me, does like half the city flee when it the cold becomes so bitter that you can longer feel your extremities?

And 49 winter vacation destinations is hilarious to me btw.

Meanwhile,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA
Just as an FYI, there are no nonstop flights from Toronto to Australia. I've seen people throwing around "flights to 6 continents" but that's not true.
Really?

LOL

Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Yup.

Only 45 direct flights outside of Canada/U.S. = more connecting flights = more passengers passing through SFO to connect to where they are going.

That list also has Charlotte's airport with "more" passenger traffic than Toronto. I was looking at possibly going to New Orleans next year and saw on online that the connecting flight was in Charlotte. Mystery solved.

Haha sorry but no. San Francisco is one of the top point of origin&destination airports in North America.

Toronto otoh is where most of Canada flies through on their way to/ from somewhere else, no?

The Bay Area is just a much larger air destination than Toronto-70 million passengers per annum vs. 42 million. Our population has more disposable income, is more urbane in general and more apt to fly apparently.

lol@mystery solved.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:31 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:

L O L

Tell me, does like half the city flee when it the cold becomes so bitter that you can longer feel your extremities?

Meanwhile,

Really?

LOL
Are all those flights only operated seasonally? I would have thought these flights were more because of the large Caribbean population in Toronto.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are all those flights only operated seasonally? I would have thought these flights were more because of the large Caribbean population in Toronto.
Yes tons of seasonal service, and Caribbean/ Central American resorts account for nearly HALF of Toronto's international destinations.

This is the case with many NE airports too, lots of Caribbean( warmer weather) seasonal flights.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbird_(person)

Canadians appear to flock en masse to the Caribbean in the winter because it's warmer and because their money goes further-look at Cuba for example, it looks like there nonstop flights from Toronto to about 10 Cuban destinations in the winter.

It's all very interesting for a Californian since this is not nearly as commonplace here. Hawaii and Mexico are our top summer vacation spots but in the winter SoCal is still very pleasant and even the Bay is mild relative to most other areas.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:04 AM

Oh and when we take into account TO flights to warm weather US cities in FL, AZ and CA(there's even direct service from TO to Palm Springs), one gets a sense that well over half of TOs intl destinations are specifically people escaping the cold.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:

L O L

Meanwhile,

Really?

LOL
56 non U.S./Canada/Caribbean international cities is more than SFO's 45 total international list.
49 Caribbean destinations alone is more than SFO's 45 total international list.

You can spin it how you want it. SFO can't crack 50 international cities on its non Canadian direct flight list.

Quote:
Haha sorry but no. San Francisco is one of the top point of origin&destination airports in North America.

Toronto otoh is where most of Canada flies through on their way to/ from somewhere else, no?

The Bay Area is just a much larger air destination than Toronto-70 million passengers per annum vs. 42 million. Our population has more disposable income, is more urbane in general and more apt to fly apparently.

lol@mystery solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City