Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 598,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

There is nothing like the sensation one gets when driving into The City from a hot ass suburb and feeling the air get cooler along the way...its incredible.
Lol that's a creative way of spinning the disadvantage of having **** summer weather.

Quote:

Torontonians have to condition their air just to emulate what we get naturally and I don't blame them...

Sometimes we pinch ourselves just to remind ourselves that this place actually exists.

#WeatherOfTheGods
Yeah it's called summer. If you want the heat you step outside, if you want to be cool you step inside. You only get the cool in SF.

67F is 19C, haha is that summer? Don't forget your light sweater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM

97 posts, read 90,140 times
Quote:
Hee hee .. thank you for sharing this, because I didn't know how to phrase what I've been mulling since yesterday: The Bay Area must be one of the few places if not the only one in the world where taking a metro to escape to either warmer or cooler climes is possible.

In the space of 10 minutes, I myself have gone from a blustery 34F snow shower to a hazily calm 90F atop a rushing desert riverbank .. .. altogether one of the few thrills Canada has to offer springtime.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
Yes you can live in Fremont and have real summer weather,
Actually in the Bay Area, the range in summer highs can be as high as 50 degrees, which means I can have it all..

Speaking of Fremont, they seem to like their climate.
Census Tract 4432 in Alameda County( Fremont) is the
Vineyards-Avalon Neighborhood of Fremont, is 68% Asian. The wealthiest Predominantly Asian neighborhood in the
United States.

Looks like this bunch^ isnt having trouble adjusting to the climate. LOL.

Quote:
but you won't have all the things (urbanity, food, diversity, culture etc...) that you boast about San Francisco.
Right, but I adore being comfortable so yeah...67 is about what folks in TO set their AC to. I just go outside and voila-its 67.

What am I missing? LOL

Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
In the space of 10 minutes, I myself have gone from a blustery 34F snow shower to a hazily calm 90F atop a rushing desert riverbank .. .. altogether one of the few thrills Canada has to offer springtime.
That sounds magnificent!

Old 10-23-2016, 03:23 PM

97 posts, read 90,140 times
^ ^ ^ Unforgettably so

Quote:
67F is 19C, haha is that summer? Don't forget your light sweater.
I wouldn't snicker were I you. Either Summer 1991 or 1992 along with either Summer 2002 or 2003 - I can't remeber which year from either pair - did the sun shine much around that corner of Lk Ontario let alone the temperature exceed 67F. Many days on end each of those 2 summers made long pants and sweatshirts obligatory what with highs of 63F and cooler .. such an abominable summer has yet to occur anywhere downstream along the St. Lawrence valley. Furthermore, springtime thaws may occur earlier than most frigid regions around the country yet summers' grasps take ahold much later lakeside there.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:27 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
^ ^ ^ I've never written "whilst" .. it sounds snobby when uttered too!

I don't comprehend how a metropolitan area itself (DC) can possess mid-size metro areas.

I shan't accept big-business' ongoing perversions of terminology. The only megalopolis that I know of that the west bears is Germany's Rhine-Rhur.

I wonder what a good one must be like! I was just trying to highlight an example wherefrom braggarts there learn to facetiously boast in these pages .. here, read for yourself:
"... UP Express is North America’s first dedicated express rail train ..."

Anyhow, I can't imagine further speed enhancements being applied to conventional HSR whereas I can with frictionless maglev. The funding announcement surprises me when maglev seems relatively promising .. oh well.
Possess? No, it's that actually decent rail lines would put those mid-sized metros within reach from DC so that day trips would be reasonable. The conversation was originally about high speed rail which generally needs to be a conversation about inter-city rail because high speed rail that goes point to point within a single city or metro alone isn't such a great idea.

Rhine-Ruhr is generally considered a metropolitan area, not a megalopolis. The megalopolis that Rhine-Ruhr sometimes fall under is far, far more expansive. I think you might just be reading too quickly with metropolitan and megalopolis being spelled somewhat differently, but similarly enough that you're confusing the two.

There are pretty bad boondoggles and then there are really bad boondoggles. UP Express without intermediate stops would be a pretty bad boondoggle--not awful, but pretty bad and a waste of money. It'd be a bad misuse of resources the same way that the plan to put in an O'Hare to the Loop express train without an intermediate stops or serving any other points a pretty bad boondoggle; hopefully, Chicago won't be doing that and does something like that Crossrail Chicago plan instead. UP Express with intermediate stops at least has some saving grace before they finally make the improvements that would have been nice had they come with it originally.

Maglev has a massive cost issue and trying to make a new set of tracks and the specialized infrastructure that must come with it through the densest and most expensive downtown areas of the US isn't something really palatable.

Quote:
The Bay Area is the only one of these 4 to have actual resorts earn a 5-Star rating from Forbes, local areas drenched in sun and warmth like only a Mediterranean climate could provide:
World's Mediterranean Climate Zones

5-star hotel Auberge Du Soleil in Napa is in the 90s...

While 45 mins away, the city is in the upper 60s...

How cool is that?
That is pretty cool. I think the Mediterranean climate is well-liked because of its fairly narrow band of temperature variations. The other kind of places that have that are subtropical and tropical highland areas which also share that feature though Mediterranean climates are more common that the subtropical and tropical highland climate.

Quote:
Hee hee .. thank you for sharing this, because I didn't know how to phrase what I've been mulling since yesterday: The Bay Area must be one of the few places if not the only one in the world where taking a metro to escape to either warmer or cooler climes is possible.

If it's strongly varying microclimates you're looking for then you can find them in areas with strong topographical variation, proximity to a large body of water, and/or urban heat island effects. For Canada, it's Vancouver that's got that though with the temperature average lower overall.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-23-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Actually in the Bay Area, the range in summer highs can be as high as 50 degrees, which means I can have it all..

Speaking of Fremont, they seem to like their climate.
Census Tract 4432 in Alameda County( Fremont) is the
Vineyards-Avalon Neighborhood of Fremont, is 68% Asian. The wealthiest Predominantly Asian neighborhood in the
United States.

Looks like this bunch^ isnt having trouble adjusting to the climate. LOL.
Yeah they live in Fremont not San Francisco.

Quote:
Right, but I adore being comfortable so yeah...67 is about what folks in TO set their AC to. I just go outside and voila-its 67.

What am I missing? LOL
AC is set to 68, but you can go outside and enjoy 80 weather whenever you want.

Never need to wear anything more than a t shirt and shorts.
Sleep comfortably under the stars.
Hang out during a warm summer evening in the park.
Sun tan on the beach shirtless and cool off with an ice cream.
Take the kids to the local park to play in the water fountains

Yes you're missing many things!

Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Well, how odd, not everyone has exactly the same preferences when it comes to weather. We've all really learned something valuable in this thread.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Yes you're missing many things!
Er, we dont go to The City to do that.

LOL

Old 10-23-2016, 04:24 PM

San Francisco July 2016 weather:

14 days (half the month) with temps below 18C (64F)! Not even the AC is set this cold, pack your sweatshirts kids!

One day had a high of 13C (55F), in July!

Quote:
Er, we dont go to The City to do that.

LOL
Maybe it's a blessing considering the tree-less urban wasteland that is most of SF city.

85F here for 3 months would probably be unbearable

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City