Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 04:29 PM

97 posts, read 90,266 times

Advertisements

I think I see where our confusions lay:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
metropolitan and megalopolis
Metropolis signifies an urban centre, comprising of a city with suburban communities nestled up beside and/or around it. Megalopolis amounts to an extensive cluster of cities adjacent to one another wherein no centre dominates other ones.

Big business meddles with definitions. This is chiefly why I pay scant attention to (trumped up) statistics.

I agree with your outlook on the UP Express (thankfully, commuters have thus far fended off exclusive airport rail shuttle service being commissioned where I live .. they first want the likes of what's coming to CalTrain). It's the perversion of terms like express by meddlesome big business that brings about the overabundance of falsehoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If it's strongly varying microclimates you're looking for then you can find them in areas with strong topographical variation, proximity to a large body of water, and/or urban heat island effects. For Canada, it's Vancouver that's got that though with the temperature average lower overall.
My experience occured about 150 miles NNE of there, descending from a damp high plateau to a gentle valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 04:47 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Metropolis signifies an urban centre, comprising of a city with suburban communities nestled up beside and/or around it. Megalopolis amounts to an extensive cluster of cities adjacent to one another wherein no centre dominates other ones.
The classic example of a megalopolis is Washington (DC), Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, and possibly Montreal and Toronto. if New York is not the dominating city in that cluster, I don't know what a dominating city is.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:09 PM

97 posts, read 90,266 times
^ ^ ^ Classic? Dig back to the origins of the terms, and I bet we'd find your claims swiftly disqualified, although NY-Philly is 1 of the 2 intercity drives I've not driven. With Boston-NY being the other 1 I've yet to drive, I doubt it stands to being categorised megalopolan. Excessive green belts envelop all save possibly 1 of these proposals.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:13 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
if having winter means you also get real hot summers from june to september, then sign me up.
you get this diverse range of temparature in cities like chicago, new york and toronto.
sf... with it's cold summers are definitely a deal breaker for me.

i was just in sf in september and was wearing long sleeves on certain days during my first visit to the city.
i was told sf has indian summers, but didn't think it would of been that "cold" during their "summer"....in september.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Depends where in Canada you are though. There are plenty of beaches within the Toronto area.
They may not be ocean beaches, but still beaches within the largest collection of fresh water lakes in the world.

Same can be said about Chicago, which has great beaches too and are nowhere near an ocean.
You're doing a great job defending our city ! And Chicago too!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
San Francisco July 2016 weather:
Yeah it was the coldest July in years:
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Francisco Chronicle
With the month's climate data now in, the average high temperature for July only hit 65.2--the coldest July in six years--while February's average daily high was 66.4 degrees as measured in downtown San Francisco.
San Francisco chilled by coldest July in years, after hottest February temperatures in three decades - SFGate

Hahaha /FAIL

Omheck...
Homeless men freeze to death during Toronto's winter cold snap | rabble.ca

And I hope you are ready for the white hell thats coming toir way:
Here’s the description The Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is tossing around for their 2017 winter forecast:

“Exceptionally cold–if not downright frigid–winter weather will predominate over parts of the Rockies, Prairies, Great Lakes, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritime Provinces. Newfoundland and Labrador are expected to be cold and flaky.

Harsh winter forecast for Canada in 2017 | Daily Hive Toronto

I. Am. So. Sorry.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 PM

615 posts, read 600,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah it was the coldest July in years:

San Francisco chilled by coldest July in years, after hottest February temperatures in three decades - SFGate

Hahaha /FAIL

Omheck...
Homeless men freeze to death during Toronto's winter cold snap | rabble.ca

And I hope you are ready for the white hell thats coming toir way:
Here’s the description The Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is tossing around for their 2017 winter forecast:

“Exceptionally cold–if not downright frigid–winter weather will predominate over parts of the Rockies, Prairies, Great Lakes, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritime Provinces. Newfoundland and Labrador are expected to be cold and flaky.

Harsh winter forecast for Canada in 2017 | Daily Hive Toronto

I. Am. So. Sorry.
Good thing Toronto has the largest urban underground path system in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxICSISX3JI

Old 10-23-2016, 06:24 PM

93 posts, read 96,417 times
Quote:
San Francisco July 2016 weather:

Maybe it's a blessing considering the tree-less urban wasteland that is most of SF city.
Well SF is pretty tree-free. I can see in hilly parts trees might block amazing vistas of the Bay. But still odd frontage with green-space and dome trees was not the common route the city took. Actually looks like a WINTER scene without snow LOL.

I'd sat Chicago definitely is a city of neighborhoods with green-frontage in all neighborhoods and plenty of trees. Many tower over homes. Toronto to has tree-lined neighborhoods.

Readers’ Choice Awards saw the Windy City climb from third to second on its list of the nation’s top large cities to visit.
This year’s Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards saw the Windy City improve its ranking.
Chicago voted number two city to visit, on pace to set tourism record - Curbed Chicago

Displacing San Francisco and surpassed only by New York, Chicago’s bump was based off the votes of 100,000 Condé Nast readers that took part in the annual survey. BESTING SAN FRANCISCO AND 100,000 PEOPLE VOTED???

A picture of Chicago in summer of course. Shows the scope of green throughout.

Attached Thumbnails
Metropolises of North America: Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C.-chicago-skyline-north-side-nrighborhoods-lots   Metropolises of North America: Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C.-chicago-over-head-lots-trees____.jpg  

Last edited by JustGoForIt; 10-23-2016 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-23-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
That^ is so sad.

Ugh.

Help them baby jesus...

#PrayForToronto

Old 10-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoForIt View Post
Well SF is pretty tree-free. I can see in hilly parts trees might block amazing vistas of the Bay. But still odd frontage with green-space and dome trees was not the common route the city took. Actually looks like a WINTER scene without snow LOL.

I'd sat Chicago definitely is a city of neighborhoods with green-frontage in all neighborhoods and plenty of trees. Many tower over homes. Toronto to has tree-lined neighborhoods.

Readers’ Choice Awards saw the Windy City climb from third to second on its list of the nation’s top large cities to visit.
This year’s Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards saw the Windy City improve its ranking.
Chicago voted number two city to visit, on pace to set tourism record - Curbed Chicago

Displacing San Francisco and surpassed only by New York, Chicago’s bump was based off the votes of 100,000 Condé Nast readers that took part in the annual survey. BESTING SAN FRANCISCO AND 100,000 PEOPLE VOTED???

A picture of Chicago in summer of course. Shows the scope of green throughout.
Chicago is definitely a nice place to visit, but CLEARLY SF is winning as far as people actually moving there, SF is actually booming in population growth while people seem to be fleeing Chicago left and right.

It might be the fact that Chicago has 600+ murders year-to-date.
Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

100 more murders than NY and LA combined.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:47 PM

615 posts, read 600,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago is definitely a nice place to visit, but CLEARLY SF is winning as far as people actually moving there, SF is actually booming in population growth while people seem to be fleeing Chicago left and right.

It might be the fact that Chicago has 600+ murders year-to-date.
Crime in Chicagoland -- chicagotribune.com

100 more murders than NY and LA combined.
So according to you they're moving away from Chicago due to the murder rate, yet moving to SF bay area where Oakland is in the top 10 for violent crime in the country.

Logic doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City