Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The classic example of a megalopolis is Washington (DC), Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, and possibly Montreal and Toronto. if New York is not the dominating city in that cluster, I don't know what a dominating city is.
I am not sure I would include Montreal and Toronto in that megalopolis. NYC has influence on those two cities for sure, but not nearly as much as it does on places like Pittsburgh or Richmond VA.

If you want to create an expanded BosNYWash, that's where I'd look. Not to Montreal and Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18montclair View Post
that^ is so sad.

Ugh.

Help them baby jesus...

#prayfortoronto
keep calm

and remember

that that's in celsius

Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
So according to you they're moving away from Chicago due to the murder rate, yet moving to SF bay area where Oakland is in the top 10 for violent crime in the country.

Logic doesn't make sense.
Youre right. Oakland is also growing at a much higher rate than Chicago. Maybe it's the cold then...

Old 10-23-2016, 08:36 PM

This thread is like being in high school all over again.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 PM

615 posts, read 598,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Youre right. Oakland is also growing at a much higher rate than Chicago. Maybe it's the cold then...
Toronto can get pretty cold and it's growing faster than or just as fast as the SF Bay area.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:02 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Given the infamous and horrendous traffic in the Bay area, and the longest working hours (or close) in the U.S., I am not sure that the warmer summers at the other end of the metro are really that big a bonus.
agreed.
imagine if i lived and work in sf...and its 60 degrees everyday in "summer".

would i have to wait until i finish my 8 hour shift of work, and then drive an hour away durig rush hour just to feel real heat? and then drive back home to sf? lol.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Yaaasss!

This map shows a stunning 48-degree spread in temperatures within a single metro area on a single day.

There is nothing like the sensation one gets when driving into The City from a hot ass suburb and feeling the air get cooler along the way...its incredible.

I pick up friends at the airport in July and they are awestruck by how pleasant and comfortable it is here. They rave on and on for their entire stay...

Torontonians have to condition their air just to emulate what we get naturally and I don't blame them...

Sometimes we pinch ourselves just to remind ourselves that this place actually exists.

#WeatherOfTheGods
I can only imagine having to pinch myself because I have to leave the city just to feel real summer temperatures...while people in Toronto, Chicago and DC and all can feel the heat without leaving the city to do so in the summer.

Such a pain...

Old 10-23-2016, 09:07 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure I would include Montreal and Toronto in that megalopolis. NYC has influence on those two cities for sure, but not nearly as much as it does on places like Pittsburgh or Richmond VA.

If you want to create an expanded BosNYWash, that's where I'd look. Not to Montreal and Toronto.
I'm going partially based on news coverage in NYC area media. Or else how would I know so much about Canada?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
You're doing a great job defending our city ! And Chicago too!

Quote:
San Francisco July 2016 weather:

14 days (half the month) with temps below 18C (64F)! Not even the AC is set this cold, pack your sweatshirts kids!

One day had a high of 13C (55F), in July!

Maybe it's a blessing considering the tree-less urban wasteland that is most of SF city.

85F here for 3 months would probably be unbearable
That looks like April/May in Toronto. 13 degrees C the 'high'? LOL.

Quote:
Yeah it was the coldest July in years:

San Francisco chilled by coldest July in years, after hottest February temperatures in three decades - SFGate

Hahaha /FAIL

Omheck...
Homeless men freeze to death during Toronto's winter cold snap | rabble.ca

And I hope you are ready for the white hell thats coming toir way:
Here’s the description The Canadian Farmers’ Almanac is tossing around for their 2017 winter forecast:

“Exceptionally cold–if not downright frigid–winter weather will predominate over parts of the Rockies, Prairies, Great Lakes, Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritime Provinces. Newfoundland and Labrador are expected to be cold and flaky.

Harsh winter forecast for Canada in 2017 | Daily Hive Toronto

I. Am. So. Sorry.
Cold winters in the Northeast, Midwest, etc are normal. These same places also get summers where numerous days are higher than 20/30C.
When your February is hotter than your July, there is definitely something not normal going on in SF. I've never heard of that in my life for North American cities.

It's unfortunately that in February SF residents are wearing sweaters....and 5 months later in the 'summer', they are still wearing the same sweaters. lol.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Toronto can get pretty cold and it's growing faster than or just as fast as the SF Bay area.
That's because Canada all but pays Foreigners to move there.

Thirsty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City