Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next "big" city
Austin, Texas 43 17.62%
Nashville, Tennessee 41 16.80%
Portland, Oregon 15 6.15%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 34 13.93%
Denver, Colorado 63 25.82%
Phoenix, Arizona 48 19.67%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:57 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,248 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but austin is NOT a larger metro area than Denver!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM

97 posts, read 122,798 times
^Austin need's to humble itself

Denver is way bigger and better than Austin.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:05 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
In what ways is Austin worse then Denver??

I could give you pro sports obviously. And probably public transportation but only because of Austins lack of not because denvers is great.

Austin has an international airport

Weather is better here IMO but is subjective

Scenery is hit or miss in Denver and same in Austin but also subjective

Cost of living is cheaper in the Austin metro

Jobs- -Austin is one of the best growing job markets

Austin is expected to hit 4 million people by 2040 doubling its current size and is the fastest growing city in the country- and if you include smaller towns many of the austins suburbs are in the top in growth too.

Austin is the state Capitol

Food and night life scene is better in Austin

UT is here which Denver can't match

Austin is an hour from SAN antonio, 3 hours from Dallas and Houston.. Denver is..... hours and hours and hours from any other city.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:26 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post

I could give you pro sports obviously. And probably public transportation but only because of Austins lack of not because denvers is great.

Austin is expected to hit 4 million people by 2040 doubling its current size and is the fastest growing city in the country- and if you include smaller towns many of the austins suburbs are in the top in growth too.

Austin is an hour from SAN antonio, 3 hours from Dallas and Houston.. Denver is..... hours and hours and hours from any other city.
Denver is the state capitol of Colorado as well

And suburban Boulder (it tries to claim it's it's own area, but who are they kidding, it's part of Greater Denver) has the University Of Colorado

Old 10-15-2016, 03:58 PM

345 posts, read 530,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny12 View Post

The bias is real...

Denver's airport is bigger and serves way more people than Austin's. Have you seen Denver's airport??

I agree, weather is subjective, but Austin's summer are brutal. Dont know how people stand it. However, Denver's winters aren't any better...

Austin has the hilly country and rivers but they can't compare to the rockies near Denver. (I know the city of Denver is flat)

They're pretty much equal in COL. Both are extremely expensive.

Yes, Austin is growing faster, both are plentiful in jobs tho.

You say 4 million like thats a good thing. Traffic freaking sucks right now and the austin gov has no plans to expand public transit.

Denver is the state capitol too

Ehh, thats subjective too lol. Depends on what kinda food you like.

True, Denver has no uni compared to UT.

Yes, Denver does have a disadvantage being in a remote transportation.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:06 PM

895 posts, read 1,239,353 times
Why bias is there when you just agreed with most of everything. And just because the Rockies are close doesn't mean everyone enjoys mountains...

And it means the area is growing, has a healthy job environment, and is a desirable place to people moving here and companies relocating... and there are plans in the works for public transportation so obviously the hope is that the city and metro prepare fire the growth so that traffic can be alleviated. I will say that there is a lot happening in the north suburbs that is causing people to not have to go downtown to work.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Denver is a few tiers above austin. No doubt about that!!!! Much larger Metro! Denver's population as a whole is better educated and more fit. Our downtown is much larger, taller, more dense, and more options! Our airport is larger, with FAR more flight options. Mass transit is not even on the same level! Shall we mention pro sports? Denver has more cultural options. Our GDP DWARFS austin! Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade! I guess the better question is what does austin offer that is better than Denver??????????

Old 10-16-2016, 12:19 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I'd take Denver. But Austin does have some positives like a massive university next to Downtown (sorry Auraria campus!), a big river (sorry Cherry Creek, which I do like!), and more highrises going up above a certain height (say 300').

Old 10-16-2016, 12:35 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Denver is a few tiers above austin. No doubt about that!!!! Much larger Metro! Denver's population as a whole is better educated and more fit. Our downtown is much larger, taller, more dense, and more options! Our airport is larger, with FAR more flight options. Mass transit is not even on the same level! Shall we mention pro sports? Denver has more cultural options. Our GDP DWARFS austin! Denver has been one of the top 10 fastest growing cities for a decade! I guess the better question is what does austin offer that is better than Denver??????????
True, but Austin does have it's advantanges, like someone stated by having a large University near it's downtown, Austin is by far closer to larger cities than Denver. As for outdoor recreational imo Austin & Denver are close. Denver has more winter sports while Austin has more summer. I will say Denver is a tier above it, but Austin is no slouch. Btw just a question, does Denver having any festivels close to ACL & SXSW? Just wondering.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:50 PM

Cherry Creek Art festival draws 350,000 plus a year. National Western draws near a million every year. Red Rocks is always the best place on earth to see a concert. Taste of Colorado always drew 550,000 this year. Plus various parade of lights and one of the largest St. Patty's parades in the Country! And the GABF which sells out in about 20 minutes and is one of the largest Beer fests around!

Look, I realize austin is a booming up and comer. I do! But trying to say it is on the same level as Denver (also booming) is a bit of a stretch! That is mostly directed at antny12. 2 different tiers of cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City