Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:37 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Fort Worth has a lot more going on downtown than Big D.
I think it's partially because the "activity" is more concentrated in Downtown FW than Downtown Dallas. The activity along Main St, Convention Center area, West End/Dealey Plaza, Arts District/Klyde Warren Park, and Farmer's Market area is comparable to Downtown FW. It's just the activity is spread further apart. Whereas in Downtown FW, Main St. and Sundance Square are fairly close to one another.

I would NOT consider Downtown Dallas a top 5 or even top 10 Downtown, but I wouldn't call it a ghost town either. You just gotta know where to look....

Old 10-17-2016, 11:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
1) Midtown Manhattan
2) Chicago
3) Manhattan below Canal
4) Philly
5) SF

Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Best or favorite?

I'll do favorite: Boston, Charleston, Baltimore, New York City, Asheville.

(I know the thread title is "best", but I can't imagine the OP putting Indianapolis in the country's top 5 downtowns objectively.)

Old 10-17-2016, 12:01 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It depends, some people and organizations use downtown and lower Manhattan interchangeably, others use them to denote different areas, and when they do, downtown Manhattan often circumscribes a smaller area than lower Manhattan.

I use the term for those neighborhoods directly. If you get any group of New Yorkers of different backgrounds, and of varying degrees of how long they have been in the city or if they are natives or transplants and you'll get different definitions of downtown going from the most restrictive of just the Financial District and then up through every major crosstown street up to and including 34th street. To me, Canal Street has always been downtown's demarcation point while 14th has been it for lower Manhattan, but I'm totally up for disagreement.

I do love me some Midtown though and think it's highly underrated in a lot of ways among people who live here.

Yea, there's the argument that jobs and population densities in the entirety of that region are basically so high and these areas meld into each other so much that they're basically one. It's such a massive octopus that its reach has basically taken downtown Jersey City, the LIC waterfront, downtown Brooklyn, DUMBO, and now increasingly north Brooklyn along and close to the waterfront into its reach.
Yeah I've been here 5 years and honestly I have no idea what "Downtown" would be...I hadn't really thought about it before. I usually just think of downtown as a direction.

If someone in NYC asked you where you lived/worked and your reply was simply "downtown" or "downtown NYC" you would probably get a confused look and be asked for more specifics.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:43 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
Mid-town Manhattan alone isn't big enough to be better than Downtown Chicago.Its like outside of Times Square what's the next big thing to see in Mid-town ?

But if we lump Mid-town & Lower Manhattan together than that's another story.Thats why i said Lower Manhattan is the real Downtown in New York.

Mid-town Manhattan is like what Wilshire is in Los Angeles.Not exactly Downtown but also a CBD area and you also could call Hollywood another Downtown type area. So these questions have to be asked specifically or we're gonna get all this back and forth about what should be included as the Downtown area.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:47 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Chicago

Old 10-17-2016, 08:42 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Mid-town Manhattan alone isn't big enough to be better than Downtown Chicago.Its like outside of Times Square what's the next big thing to see in Mid-town ?

But if we lump Mid-town & Lower Manhattan together than that's another story.Thats why i said Lower Manhattan is the real Downtown in New York.

Mid-town Manhattan is like what Wilshire is in Los Angeles.Not exactly Downtown but also a CBD area and you also could call Hollywood another Downtown type area. So these questions have to be asked specifically or we're gonna get all this back and forth about what should be included as the Downtown area.
I'm not a fan of Midtown, but I disagree with you here. I definitley think Midtown is clearly the main CBD of NYC, and definitely bigger than downtown Chicago. 2 of the reasons I don't like Midtown as a local is because:
1. It's too touristy. Obnoxiously touristy.
2. Too business/work oriented

Saying that there's nothing to see in Midtown outside of Times Square is just extremely wrong. Have you been to NYC? Midtown is by far the most touristy region of NYC with many other famous landmarks. There's the Empire State Building, Rockefellar center, part of the high line, the UN, Central Park South, Fifth Avenue, Madison Square Garden, NYPL, MoMA, Hudson yards (too soon?), Grand Central, Bryant Park, Chrysler building, and St. Patrick's just to name a few.

I much prefer Downtown, and I feel pretty strongly about it, but there's no denying that Midtown is the main business district of NYC

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm not a fan of Midtown, but I disagree with you here. I definitley think Midtown is clearly the main CBD of NYC, and definitely bigger than downtown Chicago. 2 of the reasons I don't like Midtown as a local is because:
1. It's too touristy. Obnoxiously touristy.
2. Too business/work oriented

Saying that there's nothing to see in Midtown outside of Times Square is just extremely wrong. Have you been to NYC? Midtown is by far the most touristy region of NYC with many other famous landmarks. There's the Empire State Building, Rockefellar center, part of the high line, the UN, Central Park South, Fifth Avenue, Madison Square Garden, NYPL, MoMA, Hudson yards (too soon?), Grand Central, Bryant Park, Chrysler building, and St. Patrick's just to name a few.

I much prefer Downtown, and I feel pretty strongly about it, but there's no denying that Midtown is the main business district of NYC
Plus the Broadway theatres, Carnegie Hall, and a long list of major corporate and organizational headquarters

Old 10-17-2016, 10:12 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,066 times
Indianapolis one of the best downtowns in the USA lol.. thats quite hilarious I cannot stop laughing lol

Old 10-17-2016, 10:30 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
There's an interesting effect with opinions on downtowns. Let's say that nearly all US downtowns have been getting larger and denser at a high rate, particularly with new housing. And let's say most people have seen their own downtowns more recently than other cities' downtowns. Their impressions might be that their downtowns have caught up or widened the gap cities they haven't seen recently (unless they keep track on the internets!), when in fact their downtowns might have grown at the same pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City