Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best choice for the second expansion team in the NBA, if the NBA chooses to expand?
Mexico City 13 4.30%
Montreal 16 5.30%
San Diego 23 7.62%
Vancouver 14 4.64%
Tampa 6 1.99%
Baltimore 15 4.97%
Pittsburgh 20 6.62%
Saint Louis 42 13.91%
Las Vegas 53 17.55%
Austin 23 7.62%
Kansas City 36 11.92%
Louisville 15 4.97%
Raleigh 4 1.32%
Richmond 4 1.32%
Virginia Beach/Norfolk 13 4.30%
Omaha 5 1.66%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You don’t want municipal funds spent on an arena, and without an arena, there is no team. Any expansion will be Seattle + an Eastern/Midwestern city with an NBA-ready building. It’s going to be Pittsburgh, Columbus or Louisville...most likely the latter.
I don't see Louisville getting a team because it is too close to Indianapolis. Pittsburgh makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 12:59 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I don't see Louisville getting a team because it is too close to Indianapolis. Pittsburgh makes sense.
Why? Many teams are as close. Louisville already has a top tier NBA arena. It’s media market when combined with Lexington and NKY is similar to many middle of the road metros in the NBA...why not?

Between Louisville CSA and Lexington CSA you got 2.2 million people separated only by 40 miles of farmland between them with the growing state capital in the middle?

How about support from the Northern KY suburbs of Cincinnati adds 600k more

Old 10-09-2018, 11:58 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why? Many teams are as close. Louisville already has a top tier NBA arena. It’s media market when combined with Lexington and NKY is similar to many middle of the road metros in the NBA...why not?

Between Louisville CSA and Lexington CSA you got 2.2 million people separated only by 40 miles of farmland between them with the growing state capital in the middle?

How about support from the Northern KY suburbs of Cincinnati adds 600k more

I don't know if the UL and UK diehards want somebody pushing into their territory. I have a friend who moved to Cincinnati and I've visited, its like you cross the river and you're in UK country

Old 10-09-2018, 02:19 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I don't know if the UL and UK diehards want somebody pushing into their territory. I have a friend who moved to Cincinnati and I've visited, its like you cross the river and you're in UK country
Exactly. Cincinnatians want nothing to do with Louisville or Lexington. I have family there lol. Columbus is a possibility, however.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
You don’t want municipal funds spent on an arena, and without an arena, there is no team. Any expansion will be Seattle + an Eastern/Midwestern city with an NBA-ready building. It’s going to be Pittsburgh, Columbus or Louisville...most likely the latter.
We don't have to worry about that. Muncipal funds will likely go to the expansion of the convention center.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
There are (27 South American stars) in the National Basketball Association as we speak manu Ginobili the first to come to mind + Nene.

Mexicans don't root for South Amnericans and they don't identify with everyone who has brown skin and speaks Spanish.

Basketball is just not that popular in Mexico. Sure, in a country of 120 million you can find a smattering here and there but kids don't play pickup basketball at the park. They don't follow the NBA on TV. And don't confuse curiousity with support - they might fill a stadium for an occasional exhibition game but won't turn out night after night.

Another thing is Mexicans aren't big on the "season ticket" model on which American pro sports is based.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:13 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Mexicans don't root for South Amnericans and they don't identify with everyone who has brown skin and speaks Spanish.

Basketball is just not that popular in Mexico. Sure, in a country of 120 million you can find a smattering here and there but kids don't play pickup basketball at the park. They don't follow the NBA on TV. And don't confuse curiousity with support - they might fill a stadium for an occasional exhibition game but won't turn out night after night.

Another thing is Mexicans aren't big on the "season ticket" model on which American pro sports is based.
I’ve played pickup basketball in Mexican parks. There’s also a weird winner-take-all-tournament scene. If I had to guess, I’d say it was their #4 sport.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

In other words, the renovations to Key Arena isn't going to be enough to lure the NBA to Seattle according to several reports that have surfaced in recent days. There is a strong possibility that Seattle will have to find the means to build an entirely new arena anyways if it wants to get the NBA expansion team at some point in the latter half of next decade.

Meaning that Seattle will have to upkeep that prospective arena and the newly renovated Key Arena as well. Sounds like a complex situation.
Yeah, I don't believe a word of that. Especially since it's from Deadspin...

Old 10-09-2018, 03:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
I’ve played pickup basketball in Mexican parks. There’s also a weird winner-take-all-tournament scene. If I had to guess, I’d say it was their #4 sport.

Fair enough but the list of negatives is long.

Travel would be logistically more difficult. Sure, it's a long flight from Houston to New York but road trips usually hit up 3 or 4 nearby cities, so when the Rockets head to New York they might play the Knicks, Nets, Celtics, and 76ers. And there are a lot of nearby road trips such as when they play the Spurs, Mavericks, and Hornets. Every single trip to and from Mexico City is going to be a long flight.

Few players are going to want to play there. Mexico will have a hard time attracting top free agents and re-signing top draft talent.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
I was racking my brain and what’s #3? Soccer and baseball seem obvious, the only other one I could come up with is bullfighting. I’m not stereotyping, there’s a Bullring right on the ocean along the Tijuana/San Diego border. I was thinking Jai Alai, but the arena in TJ is now a concert hall, can’t speak or the rest of the country.

As for the question of NBA expansion I would’ve said Las Vegas, but I wonder if the fiasco of the Allstar game there a decade ago is still fresh in their minds. It does make the most sense with all the corporate money, a new area, and the Golden Knights in the NHL proving they can easily support pro sports.

I know the NBA is no stranger to going to smaller markets, especially if they can be the only game in town, but I don’t see it going to Louisville or Lexington, KY. I don’t know what cities are willing to finance arenas these days, but cities that have already proved they can support pro teams is my guess for expansion. KC seems like a good choice because unlike Pittsburgh or St. Louis it wouldn’t have to compete with the NHL for fans, or corporate dollars.

Many other cities talked about in this thread I don’t happening becaue of nearby owners not wanting to share the market/region. You can forget about Baltimore or northern Virginia. Texas is pretty saturated leaving Austin out, same goes for Tampa. Unless someone really rich wants to build an arena you can count San Diego out. The NBA has already failed in Vancouver, don’t see that happening again. I think that might make them weary of Montreal. Omaha is way too small. Mexico City is way too far besides countless other reasons. Not on the list, but intriguing is Buffalo. They lost their team to San Diego in the 70’s and are crazy for sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City