Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

Hey I grew up in AR and my high school best friend (several generations of Arkansan born and bred)both live here in Portland, I would say you would like Portland- its metro- but not too metro(don't live down town, pick one of the edges of town its cheaper and mellow while still having plenty of town activities, tons of affordable diverse foods (love those food carts) and the low key vibe (yes it still exists)... with tons of outdoor activities and is amazingly dog friendly (I have a difficult dog, probable she would be banned if her breed wasn't relatively rare).

People are out and about in all kinds of weather (which is pretty mild, summers here are great compared to those long hot humid AR summers) and no evidence of that "Seattle freeze" (unfriendliness ) here.

so thats my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 09:43 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
If you're comparing one metro area to another, let's keep it consistent.

King County has just over 2 million people living in it. That's easily considered the "Seattle area" for this region.

To that end, a good breakdown of the languages spoken in the Seattle area can be found in this link, and scroll down to the pie chart: Language Diversity in America: How Seattle Stacks Up - The Seattle Globalist
I was clearly referring to each city (city proper), not metro areas or counties. Thanks for the info though.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
For a more affordable urban alternative to Seattle, but with the same water and mountain views, look at Tacoma. Visit Seattle on the weekends.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Tacoma is a sleeping giant IMO. Tons of potential for Tacoma to become a hot city, especially once the light rail line expands across the city in a couple of years.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Tacoma is a sleeping giant IMO. Tons of potential for Tacoma to become a hot city, especially once the light rail line expands across the city in a couple of years.
For those who don't know, it's already awake. It just hasn't been gentrified to the point Seattle has.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
I'd say Minneapolis. It's clearly less expensive than Portland and Seattle, but the COL is steadily rising.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
For a more affordable urban alternative to Seattle, but with the same water and mountain views, look at Tacoma. Visit Seattle on the weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
For those who don't know, it's already awake. It just hasn't been gentrified to the point Seattle has.
Great. Now I have a b0ner for Tacoma!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Seattle

Old 11-08-2016, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 778 times
Portland would be my choice. Living in St Paul and Portland and visiting Seattle, Portland is very spacious and not packed tight. Seattle is definitely going to give you a big city feel, with lots of night life, while MN and OR gives you a friendly neighbor feeling. Granted, it is more expensive it is worth the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City