Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

I think people expect NYC to be #1 because in my experience, the rats are more visible (due to trash bags on the streets in various areas). Chicago on street level is much cleaner and doesn't have the trash bags laying on the sidewalk where you are walking so it's less visible. They are in the alley ways where people don't hang out. This list is about anywhere though so the perception might differ from the reality. I've only seen one rat in Chicago ever though (on the tracks at a subway station) but I've seen loads in Manhattan alone.

Not the same thing but a squirrel one time found his or her way into my girlfriend's bedroom in NYC - she was terrified Funny thing is that she had a dozen discounted AMC movie theater tickets and after the squirrel left, about half were gone. We joke that the squirrel stole them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Denver at #10 is kinda strange. I've seen mice, whenever construction is going on neearby. I've never seen a rat before though. Not downtown or anywhere

I agree with you. I have lived in Denver for almost ten years and I have yet seen a rat..well the outdoor ones anyway. Wait..I take it back somewhat. The other day I did see two boy rats outside here but they were once someone's pet. Apparently someone got tired of them and let them out and that was pretty much it as far as rats are concerned.

Now Denver and bedbugs well there you have something. I have seen them everywhere from Village Inn to Safeway to Target to even Kaiser Permanente and the results are always the same..."SHHHHHH we say nothing !!".

Old 10-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Didn't see a single rat or roach in Chicago or Seattle. And I rode the L daily, went downtown and explored parts of Pilsen to downtown on my fixie.

New Orleans should be in the top 5.
I walk from the bus at Westlake to my waterfront Seattle office every day at 6am, and see rats often. Doing something about the homeless would help.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:33 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
I'm really surprised to see Minneapolis on this list. Has anyone here witnessed a rat there?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:33 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I'm really surprised to see Minneapolis on this list. Has anyone here witnessed a rat there?
I've seen large sewer rats in downtown MPLS. I'm also surprised that MPLS made the list.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I have never seen them in Denver

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

66 posts, read 52,555 times
Where is New Orleans on this list? They have a huge rat problem.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think people expect NYC to be #1 because in my experience, the rats are more visible (due to trash bags on the streets in various areas). Chicago on street level is much cleaner and doesn't have the trash bags laying on the sidewalk where you are walking so it's less visible. They are in the alley ways where people don't hang out. This list is about anywhere though so the perception might differ from the reality. I've only seen one rat in Chicago ever though (on the tracks at a subway station) but I've seen loads in Manhattan alone.

Not the same thing but a squirrel one time found his or her way into my girlfriend's bedroom in NYC - she was terrified Funny thing is that she had a dozen discounted AMC movie theater tickets and after the squirrel left, about half were gone. We joke that the squirrel stole them.
I'm from NYC and I expected us to be #1 as well. I think I read somewhere that there's more rats than people that live in Manhattan. I don't know how true that is though. The underground subway stations and tracks are full of them too.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:23 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Not surprised one bit to see DC in the top 3. This city has a big rat problem. I remember people saying Howard China has good food off Georgia Avenue. I was about to try it and walked up there coming from Howard and saw rats just running behind the restaurant. I kept it moving, got home, and ordered a pizza.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:31 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I'm from NYC and I expected us to be #1 as well. I think I read somewhere that there's more rats than people that live in Manhattan. I don't know how true that is though. The underground subway stations and tracks are full of them too.
I expected NYC to be #2 right behind New Orleans. NO has a huge rat and roach problem. I am not surprised at LA and other West Coast cities, they have a lot of "wildlife", due to mild weather and huge homeless populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City