Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Honolulu 20 37.74%
Las Vegas 14 26.42%
New Orleans 13 24.53%
Orlando 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times

Advertisements

Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
- Airports (destination options, amenities, transportation access): Orlando

- Conventions (the convention center and prominent convention events hosted annually): Tie between Orlando and Vegas

- Nightlife: Tie between Vegas and Orlando

- City parks, State, or National Parks: Orlando and surrounding metro

- Architecture: New Orleans

- Theme parks/Amusement parks: Orlando

- Sporting events, venues, and designated areas (golf courses, sports stadiums and arenas, sports teams): Orlando

- Outdoors recreation: Orlando and surrounding metro

- Shopping and retail options: Tie between Orlando and Vegas

- Food, dining, and drinking options: Tie between all three cities

- Historic sites (if applicable): Tie between Orlando and New Orleans

- Cultural Institutions (museums, art galleries, cultural centers, hall of fames): Tie between Orlando and New Orleans

- Performing Arts (musical groups, symphony orchestras, theater, comedy): Orlando

- Iconic Sites (world famous tourist attractions): Tie between all three cities

Old 01-17-2017, 11:50 AM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
Honolulu for me.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
- Airports (destination options, amenities, transportation access): Orlando (I could be wrong, but I believe it has widest array of destination offerings, though Vegas has many also and Honolulu has Far East)

- Conventions (the convention center and prominent convention events hosted annually): Orlando, Las Vegas and New Orleans all rank well here. Orlando has the biggest convention space and I believe is centrally located to the highest pct. of the US population, but is also less walkable than New Orleans and Las Vegas are, which hurts it here.

- Nightlife: Depends upon what you're looking for. New Orleans and Las Vegas are all about the party, though Vegas has more of a resort type feel with nightclubs, high end stuff etc., where New Orleans and Bourbon Street is more just about bar hopping, though New Orleans craft drink scene might be a little more unique also. Orlando actually may have the most diverse array of offerings. Over by UCF you have a true college town vibe, Winter Park and Winter Garden are upscale/yuppie, Orlando's urban core has a mix of hipster hoods, dive bars, and nightclubs/bar areas like Wall Street, and I Drive/City Walk offer the touristy type nightlife feel like Las Vegas (IceBar, Margaritaville, Howl at the Moon, etc., though on a smaller scale), and Orlando is the only metro where you can drink on a beach, apart from Honolulu. With that diversity, Orlando wins. Not really sure about Honolulu and I'm sure it's nice but perhaps not on this level.

- City parks, State, or National Parks: This is a close one here between Honolulu and Las Vegas, and depends largely on what scenery you prefer and how the CSA's are defined. I'd probably go Honolulu though Las Vegas has more spectacular natural features out of the bunch. Orlando is a sleeper here, too (Wekiwa Springs, Canaveral Seashore, Ocala NF, etc.).

- Architecture: For me, New Orleans, easily. Though Las Vegas' array of randomness is interesting to look at, and obviously Ivanpah and Hoover Dam aren't too shabby either. Honolulu has a nice skyline stretching down to the water, and more history than most expect. Orlando has the most new/clean look out of the bunch, but also has more 19th and early 20th century structures than some would think. Also KSC & the VAB.

- Theme parks/Amusement parks: Orlando by a longshot. Vegas has theme park type stuff, but not the quantity/quality of Orlando. New Orleans has a little kiddy theme park in city and Honolulu has a Wet N Wild within the CSA, but apart from that, not too much.

- Sporting events, venues, and designated areas (golf courses, sports stadiums and arenas, sports teams): Poor Honolulu brings up the rear here, but I think they'll survive. Vegas now has NHL, which is enticing to me moreso than any other apart from MLB, and UNLV BBall is generally pretty competitive as well. Not too into boxing though so that doesn't help me. N.O. gets the most marquee events, and NBA/NFL/Tulane, so not too bad. Orlando gets the most events in general though with NBA, MLS, PGA, NASCAR, UCF, Spring Training, and another point going it's way even though we said just metro is how close Tampa is to it, so seeing MLB, NHL, or NFL is no problem, either.

- Outdoors recreation: For me, Honolulu or Las Vegas. Climate and Topography are big determinants here. Honolulu doesn't get as hot as the other 3 in the summer, and has water and mountains right there. Vegas has outstanding natural features nearby, plus, if it gets too hot, you can drive 35-40 minutes from The Strip and be 25-30 degrees cooler (Mount Charleston). I'd actually say Las Vegas here. The natural beauty around it is awesome.

- Shopping and retail options: None are lacking. However, overall, I would guess Orlando and Las Vegas would have somewhat more options than New Orleans and Honolulu. Between those two, I would go Orlando on basis of it being bigger population wise.

- Food, dining, and drinking options: Again, all are pretty good, and some of it depends on what you are looking for. But New Orleans stands out here.

- Historic sites (if applicable): Honolulu can hang, and in their own ways (Hoover Dam, Kennedy Space Center), Orlando and Las Vegas can hang around too. Still, this just has to be New Orleans.

- Cultural Institutions (museums, art galleries, cultural centers, hall of fames): New Orleans, and little question here.

- Performing Arts (musical groups, symphony orchestras, theater, comedy): This one is a toss up between New Orleans and Las Vegas, because N.O. has better local stuff and music, but Vegas is known for traveling shows/acts.

- Iconic Sites (world famous tourist attractions): If were talking truly famous? Well Honolulu is but I think more so in the US, the island culture isn't unique to Hawaii. Vegas is famous, but is for the most part a replication of other things to create it's identity. Still, huge though. New Orleans I don't think is especially famous outside the US, the reason it is so famous within the US, is it's appearance is so unique within our country but it isn't so much elsewhere. Has to be Orlando. The World's Most Famous Beach, Kennedy Space Center, Disney, Universal, those 4 are biggies on an international scale.

Which one would I choose overall? If I had to take someone to visit only one that had never visited the US before, Orlando. I've lived in Orlando for 6 years, and enjoyed many aspects. While I dislike the heat and humidity for a good portion of the year, I would certainly choose it over a number of places. It offers more diversity than meets the eye. Out of the cities, New Orleans is easily my favorite, I love it. However, the isolation, climate, and scenery IMO really hurt it compared to the others. Las Vegas on it's whole doesn't do that much for me, but The Strip IS a free and interesting place to always explore, has a unique energy, is close to the west coast, establishing roots as a city, and has incredible hiking/terrain nearby. Honolulu at first appearances is exceptional. Nice walkable areas, beaches, weather, stunning topography, unique culture/food/history. However, the isolation REALLY hurts it here, as does the COL. If I were to choose one to live right now, all things considered, it would be Las Vegas (trying something new), with the knowledge I may end up liking so much more about Orlando or New Orleans better that it would overrule the natural scenery...

Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post

- Conventions (the convention center and prominent convention events hosted annually): Tie between Orlando and Vegas

- Sporting events, venues, and designated areas (golf courses, sports stadiums and arenas, sports teams): Orlando

- Cultural Institutions (museums, art galleries, cultural centers, hall of fames): Tie between Orlando and New Orleans

- Performing Arts (musical groups, symphony orchestras, theater, comedy): Orlando

You must be from Orlando because there is no way Orlando beats New Orleans in nightlife, sporting events/venues, and food.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:13 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You must be from Orlando because there is no way Orlando beats New Orleans in nightlife, sporting events/venues, and food.
No case can be made on food, NO does dominate that.On nightlife, Orlando has nothing of the scale of FQ or craft drink scene. But Orlandos nightlife is very, very diverse as it is a larger, more sprawling area. New Orleans wins for hosting major sporting events, but no major differences in venues other than having a dome makes hosting FF possible. Orlando area gets my vote overall for the sports fan though, of course that depends on priority of teams.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
No case can be made on food, NO does dominate that.On nightlife, Orlando has nothing of the scale of FQ or craft drink scene. But Orlandos nightlife is very, very diverse as it is a larger, more sprawling area. New Orleans wins for hosting major sporting events, but no major differences in venues other than having a dome makes hosting FF possible. Orlando area gets my vote overall for the sports fan though, of course that depends on priority of teams.
Both arenas are within walking distance of the French Quarter, that's the major difference between the venues.
Orlando only has one of the major sports, New Orleans has two located downtown. And New Orleans has minor league baseball. Orlando has a third tier minor league team.

Nightlife in NOLA is world famous, I can't say it's better than what Orlando's has though.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
- Airports: definitely Honolulu. Not the biggest, but it has a selection of flights to cool places, like Australia and Asia, that you don't get in the other cities.

- Conventions (the convention center and prominent convention events hosted annually): Vegas or Orlando

- Nightlife: New Orleans and Vegas

- City parks, State, or National Parks: Vegas and Honolulu

- Sporting events, venues, and designated areas (golf courses, sports stadiums and arenas, sports teams): not really any of them

- Outdoors recreation: Honolulu and Vegas

- Shopping and retail options: Vegas

- Food, dining, and drinking options: New Orleans>Vegas>Honolulu>>>>>>>Orlando

- Historic sites (if applicable): New Orleans

- Cultural Institutions (museums, art galleries, cultural centers, hall of fames): New Orleans

- Performing Arts (musical groups, symphony orchestras, theater, comedy): ?

- Iconic Sites (world famous tourist attractions): All of them.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
For travel with just my spouse:
1. Honolulu
2. New Orleans
3. Las Vegas
4. Orlando

If the kids come too:
1. Honolulu
2. Orlando
3. Las Vegas
4. New Orleans

Out of these cities, the only one I would have interest in taking a job in is Honolulu. You'd probably have to double my salary before I'd consider moving to one of the others, even though the COL is low there.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:36 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post

Yeah you weren't biased at all here. Orlando and NOLA tied for historic sites? Orlando has better nightlife than NOLA? Lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City