Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the correct pecking order?
Boston Houston Seattle 84 38.71%
Boston Seattle Houston 87 40.09%
Houston Boston Seattle 19 8.76%
Houston Seattle Boston 9 4.15%
Seattle Boston Houston 12 5.53%
Seattle Houston Boston 6 2.76%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:42 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
Which one of these three is a Madagascan fisherman likely to have heard of? That should be the question lol

I'd go with none of them ... but at a push Seattle.

Houston's profile outside of the States is almost non existent. I could be wrong here but I can't think of how or why it's even close to "world class" status ?
Houston is considered world class by Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:38 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Prove your assertion that Atlanta was 'overwhelmed' by the Olympics. I was there, and they were doing a consistently good job of moving people around. If you wanted to see an example of a city that failed at providing adequate infrastructure during the Olympics, I'll cite Athens, which you have on your list as a superior candidate. It also closed out the Olympics with a 10M profit; how many other Olympic cities have bragging rights to that?

Hosting The Olympics Is A Terrible Investment | FiveThirtyEight

BTW, Atlanta's MSA comes in at right about 5.5M, about the same (as your asserted) size as Athens and larger than Sydney. In fact in Europe it looks like only the London and Paris metros are larger. And most sources I looked at put the Athens population at about 3.4M.

Boston has an MSA of 4.6M.
I am not putting Atlanta down, I dont consider any american city to be world class when you compare it to most of the first world. The only reason cities like nyc ( ie a certain area of manhattan) are lumped in as world class is because of American wealth and its our center for finance and media, its really very third rate public transit and infrastructure ,etc

Compare getting off at a tokyo or seoul or singapore a swiss and so many Europeans airport with getting off at laguardia or jfk, the clean and efficient mass transit , no thugs and mentally ill people and homeless everywhere .

Laguardia doesnt even have trains into the city. The last time I landed in a small city like copenhagen there was trains to take into copenhagen and all over europe, so many european airports always have great mass transit into the city. you end up trying to hail a cab or uber at laguardia to get into nyc

They should just have a permanent olympic site in asia like singapore or europe like barcelona or switzerland, no american city is really world class

frankfurt airport and train station

laguardia

Old 11-08-2016, 11:30 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You know as much as you say people dislike Austin or Texans are jealous of Austin, I have never seen you say anything positive regarding Houston. Just say you don't like the city and be done with it.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:01 PM

108 posts, read 98,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
Which one of these three is a Madagascan fisherman likely to have heard of? That should be the question lol

I'd go with none of them ... but at a push Seattle.

Houston's profile outside of the States is almost non existent. I could be wrong here but I can't think of how or why it's even close to "world class" status ?
False.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
There are issues with trying to build a true s-bahn in the US. The first is redundancy. Most of the city stops are already covered by rapid transit. The second is workforce. I'm not sure if Boston has a railroad union, but it would probably fight the workforce reduction required. Suburban rail stations would also have to be retro-fitted. These aspects have hamstrung Philly which has had s-bahn infrastructure since the 80's.
It's a bit different for Boston because its has some commuter rail lines that are in dense urban parts which don't parallel the subways as closely and the tunnel and an intermedate station means it offers itself as an important transfer link to other existing rapid transit lines.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:43 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I am not putting Atlanta down, I dont consider any american city to be world class when you compare it to most of the first world. The only reason cities like nyc ( ie a certain area of manhattan) are lumped in as world class is because of American wealth and its our center for finance and media, its really very third rate public transit and infrastructure ,etc

Compare getting off at a tokyo or seoul or singapore a swiss and so many Europeans airport with getting off at laguardia or jfk, the clean and efficient mass transit , no thugs and mentally ill people and homeless everywhere .

Laguardia doesnt even have trains into the city. The last time I landed in a small city like copenhagen there was trains to take into copenhagen and all over europe, so many european airports always have great mass transit into the city. you end up trying to hail a cab or uber at laguardia to get into nyc

They should just have a permanent olympic site in asia like singapore or europe like barcelona or switzerland, no american city is really world class

frankfurt airport and train station

laguardia

Not sure why you quoted me, as you do not address my retort in any way.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:18 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You know as much as you say people dislike Austin or Texans are jealous of Austin, I have never seen you say anything positive regarding Houston. Just say you don't like the city and be done with it.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:28 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Boston and Seattle are regional primate cities. Boston is overhyped since it is in the East Coast megalopolis by the East Coast media. If not for being on the East Coast, Boston and New England, it would be a cultural and economic backwater like the Rust Belt in the Upper Midwest with its closed factories. The media prefer the West Coast over the South, so Houston gets the short end of the stick. But Seattle is in a empty part of the West Coast, the Pacific Northwest, since California is the population/economic magnet.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:01 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Pretty much every person from Houston on here has said:

1) Houston is more world class than Seattle but not as world class as Boston.
2) There are elements of Houston that are world class but its not a fully world class city.

Seeing as how those statements are both true, I dont see what the hell your problem is.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:04 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Boston and Seattle are regional primate cities. Boston is overhyped since it is in the East Coast megalopolis by the East Coast media. If not for being on the East Coast, Boston and New England, it would be a cultural and economic backwater like the Rust Belt in the Upper Midwest with its closed factories. The media prefer the West Coast over the South, so Houston gets the short end of the stick. But Seattle is in a empty part of the West Coast, the Pacific Northwest, since California is the population/economic magnet.
I lived in Seattle, and I can tell you that it's not exactly an outpost. There are some amazing things to see and do within a 2-3 hour drive. Portland, Seattle,Vancouver, Victoria, the Cascades, the Olympics, countless beautiful resort towns; what does Houston have within that radius? I'd actually really like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City