Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Chicago have social, political, economical, commercial, and cultural influence on areas outside
Yes 56 65.88%
No 24 28.24%
Not sure 5 5.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 03:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

It is a fairly easy question.

This thread is a follow-up on an argument in another thread, this argument warrants its own thread as it is an entirely different topic from the other thread.

Does Chicago have social, political, economical, commercial, and cultural influence on other regions, states, and cities outside of the Midwestern United States?

If so, in what way and where is the evidence for such? Which regions, states, and cities outside of the Midwestern United States does Chicago have influence on and in which ways?

Factors:
- Social
- Political
- Economical
- Commercial
- Cultural

Here are the places that you will measure Chicago's influence and area of impact on;

Regions outside of the Midwest in the United States:
- Northeastern United States
- Southern United States
- Western United States

States outside of the Midwest:
- All the states outside the Midwest

Cities outside of the Midwest:
- All cities and their metropolitan areas outside of the Midwest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 03:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Charlie trotters is arguably the most influential US restaurant of the last 30 years. Alinea is often cited as top restaurant in the country. Kanye West is one of the most influential figures in both music and fashion, and many the people behind the scenes of his projects or Chicago people. Second City is still very influential in the world of comedy. So, yes Chicago is still carries a huge deal of cultural influence.

As long as Barack Obama has anything to do with Chicago, it will retain political influence. Chicago is one of two or three US cities where someone on the other side of the country might know the name of the mayor.

Chicago is a major corporate, has a GDP greater than London, and is home to the board of trade. It's clearly economically influential.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:02 PM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Nope

Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
Nope
Probably more than Boston, though, outside of the Northeast.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post

This thread is a follow-up on an argument in another thread, this argument warrants its own thread as it is an entirely different topic from the other thread.

Does Chicago have social, political, economical, commercial, and cultural influence on other regions, states, and cities outside of the Midwestern United States?

If so, in what way and where is the evidence for such? Which regions, states, and cities outside of the Midwestern United States does Chicago have influence on and in which ways?

Factors:
- Social
- Political
- Economical
- Commercial
- Cultural

Here are the places that you will measure Chicago's influence and area of impact on;

- Southern United States
- Western United States

So, you voted "No". That's always interesting to me...when someone starts a thread like this, when they've answered their own question. That's all.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Yes,I believe that Chicago has political influence in other areas of the country.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
So, you voted "No".
That's correct, I did.

I've lived all across the United States, in different regions, states, and cities. One thing I've noticed about them all is that they all had their own music scenes with their own styles and genres with zero Chicago influences. I also noticed that all of them had their own culinary scenes too, often delved from the fusion that comes from the immigrant communities their city attracted or concepts and styles of foods that became widespread in their part of the country. I never saw any Chicago style any food become a staple in any of those places.

I also never lived in a place where the political ideology of that city or even state for that matter even resembled Chicago's, much less was influenced by Chicago politically. I've lived in states where they had bans on things that were legal in Illinois and in contrast has things that were legal and banned (or very restricted in Illinois). Also lived in states that went politically the opposite direction of Chicago and Illinois in general.

I mean across the board, everywhere I lived in outside of Chicago may as well have been a different country altogether because of how different completely it was from Chicago. So yeah, I don't see the Chicago influences outside the Midwest that others are seeing.

All the things people say "we have rappers, we have presidents, we have companies" are all things practically every city can claim (other than the presidents part), that doesn't really mean other places are directly influenced by you. I mean, if it did, then Drake is the king of Chicago now, meaning Toronto directly influences Chicago's music scene, therefore its culture by extension. That's clearly not true. I don't see Chicago music artists copying Drake and Toronto's sound and Chicago's music scene becoming more like Toronto's.

Yeah, maybe things are different in the Midwest. Perhaps in Milwaukee there is overlap in culture, economics, politics, social aspects, and the like with Chicago but this is not true of Chicago in comparison to cities outside of the Midwest region.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That's correct, I did.

I've lived all across the United States, in different regions, states, and cities. One thing I've noticed about them all is that they all had their own music scenes with their own styles and genres with zero Chicago influences. I also noticed that all of them had their own culinary scenes too, often delved from the fusion that comes from the immigrant communities their city attracted or concepts and styles of foods that became widespread in their part of the country. I never saw any Chicago style any food become a staple in any of those places.

I also never lived in a place where the political ideology of that city or even state for that matter even resembled Chicago's, much less was influenced by Chicago politically. I've lived in states where they had bans on things that were legal in Illinois and in contrast has things that were legal and banned (or very restricted in Illinois). Also lived in states that went politically the opposite direction of Chicago and Illinois in general.

I mean across the board, everywhere I lived in outside of Chicago may as well have been a different country altogether because of how different completely it was from Chicago. So yeah, I don't see the Chicago influences outside the Midwest that others are seeing.

All the things people say "we have rappers, we have presidents, we have companies" are all things practically every city can claim (other than the presidents part), that doesn't really mean other places are directly influenced by you. I mean, if it did, then Drake is the king of Chicago now, meaning Toronto directly influences Chicago's music scene, therefore its culture by extension. That's clearly not true. I don't see Chicago music artists copying Drake and Toronto's sound and Chicago's music scene becoming more like Toronto's. Also for example, Obama being from Chicago, how has that done anything to shape the politics of Georgia or North Carolina or Texas? It hasn't. They have their own viewpoints, some that overlap with Obama's and some that diverge from Obama's.
You seem to be going for the jugular, here. Anyway, I think Chicago has more influence than other cities outside of their regions, with the exception of maybe three, or four cities. I don't know of another city that seems like New York City, either, but it has influence. That argument is weak.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:36 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:

Factors:
- Social
- Political
- Economical
- Commercial
- Cultural

- Southern United States
- Western United States

Nope! No influences outside the Midwest.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:39 PM

Financial Centres of the World: Chicago, USA

Here are a couple of things, for those in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City