Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the "Top 5" of NY, LA, SF, DC, CHI are the only world class cities in
Yes, absolutely yes 39 26.71%
No, absolutely not 70 47.95%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, yes 7 4.79%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, no 15 10.27%
I don't care for "world class" cities at all 6 4.11%
Other 9 6.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
They make music in bumbletoe, Iowa too. Definitely the same as Los Angeles.

I've also heard that Montana has a new J Crew. Los Angeles also has a J Crew.
Chicago's film industry can't sniff LA'a, or even New York's. It's a terrible place to try to try to start a film career BUT, if you're established in the industry, you can move in maintain your career. I know an inordinate number of people who work in film and TV in NYC (just came back from a camping trip with five people in the industry). One of my closest friends is an assistant director on some films that you've seen. He's getting tired of New York, and Atlanta and Chicago are the cities he's considering.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:00 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
Chicago is a beautiful city but man...LA is just much more cosmopolitan IMO. Add that to the natural setting that LA is in with the beaches and the mountains and there's just no question that LA >>> Chicago.
LA is far more working-class than people think. Entertainment industry aside, its more Queens than Manhattan. It's natural setting is one of the best in the world, but that's not what makes world class cities. London and Paris don't have amazi g natural settings

Old 11-01-2016, 03:06 PM

508 posts, read 504,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
LA is far more working-class than people think. Entertainment industry aside, its more Queens than Manhattan. It's natural setting is one of the best in the world, but that's not what makes world class cities. London and Paris don't have amazi g natural settings
Apparently people think LA is world class and a ton of other people agree too. It's a combination of a ton of factors. Not being built like Manhattan, Toyko, or Paris has nothing to do with why people think LA is world class. So I am agreeing with you in some respects but not others.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
I agree. I was ubering to a bar in downtown once, and our driver, who has lived in LA all her life said, "LA is a blue collar town". Which is true to some respect. It's not all glitz and glamor out here, and once you leave the westside bubble, the city can get very gritty. There are even a lot of areas in the west side that are gritty as well. To top it off, a very large portion of the cities neighborhoods both look and feel very suburban. Having said that, you really can't beat the natural settings of the city. The beaches, mountains, sunsets, weather, hills, ect. it's pretty breathtaking. At the end of the day, these elements aren't really what make a city world class. LA is a lot of things, but cosmopolitan is not something I would call it.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,405,787 times
Quote:
This is very true, people who never been think of this fake, plastic, snobby place, when it's much more of a blue collar city. Staying on subject, I think both cities are world class, Chicago definitely has the better core, while LA is more international and fashion forward/trendy, I think fashion/trendy is a huge indicator whether a city is world class or not.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:28 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Agreed regarding LA being more working class than people realize. This article is from last year, but it highlights your point among Millennial earners.
These Are the 13 Cities Where Millennials Can't Afford a Home - Bloomberg

Median Millennial earnings by metro:
Riverside: $33,258
Los Angeles: $35,027

Chicago: $39,967

New York City: $43,809

Baltimore: $43,496
Washington: 49,294

San Francisco: $49,342
San Jose: $53,215

I went ahead and included metro areas that would be apart of larger CSAs, hence Baltimore, San Jose, and Riverside.

I remember being shocked at LA's numbers the first time I saw the article. It's such an expensive part of the country to live in, but that has not translated over to earnings. At least not for people in my age range anyway.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
If you've never been to LA it's really easy to fall into thinking that Hollywood and beaches = the entirety of LA.

I also wasn't trying to imply that Chicago's recent uptick in filming is at all comparable to LA's industry, but it's not as if movies and shows aren't filmed here.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:35 PM

508 posts, read 504,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I agree. I was ubering to a bar in downtown once, and our driver, who has lived in LA all her life said, "LA is a blue collar town". Which is true to some respect. It's not all glitz and glamor out here, and once you leave the westside bubble, the city can get very gritty. There are even a lot of areas in the west side that are gritty as well. To top it off, a very large portion of the cities neighborhoods both look and feel very suburban. Having said that, you really can't beat the natural settings of the city. The beaches, mountains, sunsets, weather, hills, ect. it's pretty breathtaking. At the end of the day, these elements aren't really what make a city world class. LA is a lot of things, but cosmopolitan is not something I would call it.
Cosmopolitan: Free from local, provincial, or national ideas, prejudices, or attachments; at home all over the world.

I don't think cosmopolitan means what you think it means.

If Los Angeles is not cosmopolitan then Chicago is for sure not cosmopolitan.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:55 PM

287 posts, read 547,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well some people do prefer the suburban feel to the claustrophobic cluster f**k that some of these dense cities can be. I do believe that the 'suburban' aspects of LA are actually quasi suburban. The LA density is spread out over a much larger area and because of that, it's hard to truly grasp how cosmopolitan LA is. To me what makes LA world class is the profound diversity that it is.

The Greater Los Angeles area houses the most diverse Asian population in the entire country. It's also home to a fairly significant diverse Hispanic population. It also has the largest Armenian and Persian population in the entire country. All of these factors contribute to bring the city amazing culture, food, etc that is unparalleled in many parts of the world. Tie that in with the amazing natural setting that LA is in and that makes it one of the most unique cities in America IMO but also one that is highly misunderstood. If that isn't cosmopolitan to you then you my friend have a poor grasp on what cosmopolitan entails.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:09 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
How can a city that's considered "World Class", not be cosmopolitan? Wouldn't one, normally, think the two would go hand-in-hand? If this can't be agreed upon, it's per the choice of the poster...not, necessarily, reality. Anyone can say what they want, but that doesn't make them right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City