Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the "Top 5" of NY, LA, SF, DC, CHI are the only world class cities in
Yes, absolutely yes 39 26.71%
No, absolutely not 70 47.95%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, yes 7 4.79%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, no 15 10.27%
I don't care for "world class" cities at all 6 4.11%
Other 9 6.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 PM

237 posts, read 179,932 times

Advertisements

I lived in rogers park on sheridan. Maybe youre talking about clark street or devon?

To me thats west rogers park.

Andersonville is cool, but thats a far walk from the lake.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks3 View Post
I love chicago, but most of it is very ho hum.
Even some lakefromt areas are dull. Edgewater, kenwood, south shore, rogers park.
Then you have the bungalow belt, which is just a older san fernando valley.

Nyc isnt all glamrous. A huge chunk of manhattan isnt.
Most of the boroughs arent.

So why does la get belittled here because it isnt all west la?
It's not like LA is devoid of urbanism either, IMO LA has the 7th most urban core in the country, which is pretty bad it being the 2nd largest city but nevertheless it's what we have. It's an area most tourists avoid, the sum of all its parts is what makes LA such a great city, to have an area like the core exist yet play second fiddle to the westside speaks volume of what LA has to offer.

Last edited by Calisonn; 11-01-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:14 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
I lived in rogers park on sheridan. Maybe youre talking about clark street or devon?

To me thats west rogers park.

Andersonville is cool, but thats a far walk from the lake.
Not sure if you misread what I wrote, but let me state it again The better areas of Edgewater and Rogers Park are not right along the lake. They're in a bit. Also when did you live there? There are some areas of Rogers Park that I've been exposed to that I love. Some of the cafes and such in them have a little bit more liberal west coast feel to them than most of the rest of the city.

Also, the stretch of Devon that is mostly Indian, Pakistani, and Hasidic is in West Ridge - not technically part of Rogers Park, even though it's called West Rogers Park.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
I love chicago, but most of it is very ho hum.
Even some lakefromt areas are dull. Edgewater, kenwood, south shore, rogers park.
Then you have the bungalow belt, which is just a older san fernando valley.

Nyc isnt all glamrous. A huge chunk of manhattan isnt.
Most of the boroughs arent.

So why does la get belittled here because it isnt all west la?
It's not like LA is devoid of urbanism either, IMO LA has the 7th most urban core in the country, which is pretty bad it being the 2nd largest city. It's an area most tourists avoid, the sum of all its parts is what makes LA such a great city, to have an area like the core exist yet play second fiddle to the westside speaks volume of what LA has to offer.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not sure if you misread what I wrote, but let me state it again The better areas of Edgewater and Rogers Park are not right along the lake. They're in a bit. Also when did you live there? There are some areas of Rogers Park that I've been exposed to that I love. Some of the cafes and such in them have a little bit more liberal west coast feel to them than most of the rest of the city.

Also, the stretch of Devon that is mostly Indian, Pakistani, and Hasidic is in West Ridge - not technically part of Rogers Park, even though it's called West Rogers Park.
I was there 07-13. I liked it, it was just quiet. Not alot of retail.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
I was there 07-13. I liked it, it was just quiet. Not alot of retail.

Curious as to where you were - it is definitely more quiet than say downtown on average, but there are enough areas with an ample amount of restaurants, shops, etc in both of those areas whether it's on Clark around Lunt, or Andersonville.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:24 PM

Sheridan and pratt. Rp is mostly residential.

Anyway, as callison has pointed out, the most imteresting parts of la are on the eastside.

Silver lake
Hollywood
E hollywood
Koreatown
Echo park/angelino hts
Los feliz
Chinatown
Little tokyo
Highland park
Arts district
Boyle hts
Westlake
West adams/usc
Historic core
South park
Fashion district

Are interesting urban areas that are booming and are the new face of la. Tourists will likely prefer these areas too.

Last edited by Stacks3; 11-01-2016 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeautifulDayOutside View Post
Philadelphia.
Philadelphia is a top-tier American city but it is by no means world class.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:40 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
That is a really really low bar. What city do you live in? All those things are not created equal in every region. Chinese Take-out And Taco Bell? Really?

The other things ok.
good questions. i made this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...hnic-food.html

maybe we'll get some other perspectives over there.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
It's funny that so many people on here care about "world class." You see all these threads come up "Which city is more world class? x or y?" "Which city is more important?", etc. And then there will be an endless debate on it.

I just don't understand why people would care whether their city is world class (whatever the hell that even means). Isn't all that matters the fact that you enjoy living in it?

Or are all these threads just friendly city-nerd debates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City