Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that the "Top 5" of NY, LA, SF, DC, CHI are the only world class cities in
Yes, absolutely yes 39 26.71%
No, absolutely not 70 47.95%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, yes 7 4.79%
I don't care for "world class" but to answer the question, no 15 10.27%
I don't care for "world class" cities at all 6 4.11%
Other 9 6.16%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogers385 View Post
Have you ever heard of fracking and horizontal drilling these technologies are perfected by engineers in Houston.
Of course I have. I never stated that Houston isn't important. I'm just saying all of these parts when put together does not equate to "world class" status yet for those two cities. Every single one of those five cities in the title have varied economies and are very important for their own reasons.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:13 PM

63 posts, read 41,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You realize, that murder is the least likely of all violent crimes? High rates of assault, robbery and rape are far more dangerous to average citizens. And, for what it's worth, assault rates tend to be lower in areas with high homicide rates, because you can get killed for assaulting someone.
You have to be kidding me about the assault rate thing. Like everyone in the ghetto is a dangerous super soldier with a desert eagle so people don't get beat up cause it's dangerous. GTFOH. People get beat down constantly in bad neighborhoods and for every 15 or 20 times someone gets beat up, robbed, or has a gun pointed at them does it get reported, than only half of those do the police even bother reporting properly. When I lived in the hood I would witness a butt whipping in the middle of street almost every day just on my block and no one ever called the cops. You guys crack me up. Other poster actually had the nerve to say your more likely to get jumped or robbed in Portland or Seattle than Chicago.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Looks good. The reason for the downgauging of a A380 to 777 is because of the economic downturn in Houston regarding the oil industry and the oversaturation of available seat capacity in Dallas because of two other Middle Eastern carriers serving Dallas (Etihad and Qatar)
whats so special about this airplane. why does it define world class.

there are more registered corollas in denver so its more world class ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-04-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 05:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElFool View Post
Other poster actually had the nerve to say your more likely to get jumped or robbed in Portland or Seattle than Chicago.
Actually, no I didn't. You still don't know a single thing of what you're even saying.

1) The statistic I quoted was about burglary. That is not "getting jumped" or "robbed" - it's being burglarized. Learn the difference, because you still don't have a clue, even after I explained to you that burglary is a property crime, not a violent crime. Seattle's burglary rate is known as being high - anybody who knows anything about crime in the US knows this. At least in 2014, it was 19th highest of any city with at least 250,000 people. Chicago was 58th highest. Portland was 50th highest. In fact, Seattle's rate was literally double that of Chicago's in 2014 for burglary. Chicago and Portland's rates are much closer than Chicago to Seattle's rate. Seattle is so much higher than both of those cities it's not even funny.

For 2016 through 10/27, Seattle has a Burglary rate of 679 per 100K while Chicago has a rate of 419.1 per 100K. Meanwhile, Seattle's assault rate is 316.3 per 100K while Chicago's is 580.7 per 100K. Houston through 9/30 has an assault rate of 404.2 per 100K and a burglary rate of 598.2 per 100K

SOURCES:
https://data.seattle.gov/Public-Safe...7ais-f98f/data
https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...sent/ijzp-q8t2
http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/index-2.htm

2) The data is from the FBI. Stop acting as if you know more than the FBI about crime and also the statistics.

3) Crime is not only very situational, but also depends on the area you are in. So to say "you have a much better chance of getting _____ in city X" is completely irrelevant if you aren't talking about which area of any city. Most cities in the US are pretty isolated when it comes to the bulk of serious crime. For example, 75% of the homicides in Chicago this year have happened where only 19% of the population lives. Nearly 1.7 million people live in areas in Chicago that have yet to record a homicide as of a little over a week ago.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-04-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:17 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Not only does it have a higher violent crime rate, but with its so-called booming economy, it has the same poverty rate as Chicago.
Chicago is also notably more expensive than DFW and Greater Houston, so Chicago has a higher poverty rate.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The entirety of TX has a rapidly growing population of impoverished residents. I think metro Dallas has the greatest wealth gap of anywhere in the country. Also have the worst schools in the country (State of TX). TX does a great job with PR though, because for some reason you rarely hear about these things.
Thing is, the places with bad schools aren't the ones attracting residents.

About the first part, I have a hard time believing you, in part because I am having a hard time finding stats. The one I found below lists DFW as more equal than Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, and Tampa, among the twenty larges metros.

Income Inequality Data for Metro Areas

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
I would definitely add Boston and Miami. Miami is the door to Latin America, while Boston is incredibly cultural and historic

Old 11-04-2016, 07:52 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Chicago is also notably more expensive than DFW and Greater Houston, so Chicago has a higher poverty rate.
Maybe metro to metro, but we're talking about city to city. Houston has more expensive housing, with subparagraph public transit. It's probably better to be poor in Chicago.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:56 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I would definitely add Boston and Miami. Miami is the door to Latin America, while Boston is incredibly cultural and historic
There is more to the world than the Western Hemisphere.

Miami has direct connectivity to London and Paris. That's only two out of the top 10 global cities in the world.

The other big five US cities have direct flights to every top tier global city in the world (DC doesn't have Hong Kong or Sydney). Still reaching eight out of ten is a lot better than two out of ten.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Maybe metro to metro, but we're talking about city to city. Houston has more expensive housing, with subparagraph public transit. It's probably better to be poor in Chicago.
I'm not so sure. Not bashing on Houston, but that city, as well as Dallas, are both unusually suburban, with the suburbs being, iirc, wealthier than the city (not to say it is exclusive to Houston). I wouldn't be surprised if, even restricted just to city limits, Houston would still be cheaper.

Although, you do have a great point on public transport. From what I've been told (I never actually used PT during my visits to Chicago), Chicago has great public transport, while Houston, as well as DFW, have a reputation for both (although I do think it is overstated for DFW, at least).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City