Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live reqardless of work?
Asheville, NC 81 60.45%
Greenville, SC 53 39.55%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
why don't you take your politics to the Politics forum. This topic is about Greenville and Asheville.

do you really think I am going to click on a video of Hillary and all of those links.
Not unless you actually want to be educated on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
why don't you take your politics to the Politics forum. This topic is about Greenville and Asheville.
You inserted your ignorance on gay and lesbian issues in Greenville, SC and in general, and were proven wrong. I gave you information to understand why you were misinformed. It has nothing to do with politics.

Quote:
do you really think I am going to click on a video of Hillary and all of those links.
Again, you began the discussion by mentioning Secretary Clinton and President Obama. You cannot tell others what you do not want to hear because this is public forum. Denying facts in favor of political talking points does not make you right.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:12 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
i was responding to somebody with similar political views as you who made assertions that I don't think true on this topic. you mischaracterize as though I brought it up and I pointed out in that post that his assertions were off-topic.

and I didn't post a bunch of political videos and links. i can prove your assertions wrong but I'm not going to do it on this topic.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-22-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 03:19 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
i can prove your assertions wrong but I'm not going to do it on this topic.
Yeah, Shakeesha, SO TAKE THAT!

Old 02-22-2017, 09:31 PM

615 posts, read 537,928 times
Both cities are different and each have their positives. I think Asheville is comfortable with itself. Asheville goes way back as a major vacation destination. Asheville is doing what it wants to do. It is doing what it does best. It has no desire to grow faster or provide more jobs or diversify in any way.

It is a vacation destination and, it embraces the arts and its historic buildings. It has its own artists there in the city. They have their art festivals and, the artists showing are from the area. Asheville does not care what others think of it. The Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore House set the course for Asheville.

I do not care who you are but, if you love great food, being pampered and an old historic hotel that has hosted some of the most famous people in the US's history then try out the Grove Park Inn. Asheville's foot print is sort of exclusive in this part of the world. What other city has a Grove Park Inn and the Biltmore House. Combine that with the arts, fine dining, funky shops, historic buildings, walkable downtown, Blue Ridge Parkway, Mount Mitchell, white water rafting and mountain trails.

That is a recipe for success just as Greenville has found its recipe for success. How many cities have a downtown like Greenville? Who is to say which is better. I guess it depends on your tastes. Both are successful and both should be proud of their accomplishments.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 925,690 times
These are probably the two best small cities in America. i would give the nod to Greenville for superior, sensible politics. You can visit beautiful Asheville anytime.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:44 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Greenville has leaders from other cities coming in all the time to obtain ideas for their downtown.

i don't see any competition between Greenville and other cities.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
But I think Shakeesha may have meant that Greenville is more of a competitor for Chattanooga and Knoxville than Asheville

There is a weird mindset infecting city vs city. I think a thread like this should be about celebrating differences and noting similarities rather than some sort of Jr high level competitition.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

There is a weird mindset infecting city vs city. I think a thread like this should be about celebrating differences and noting similarities rather than some sort of Jr high level competitition.
I don't see it that way at all. Some cities do things better than others and stating such seems "weird" to you?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
Where would you prefer to live reqardless of work? If work weren't an issue, what would your choice be and reasons why?
Now that I've revisited Greenville, I have an opinion. It wasn't an easy choice but I voted Asheville. I could see myself living in west Asheville, that's the kind of neighborhood I like. I like being among tall mountains with an abundance of mountain creeks to visit.

If the question were: where would you rather go for a day trip? the answer would be Greenville assuming they were equally distant. Asheville has become a victim of its own success. Though if I lived there I could figure out the best times for restaurants and visiting downtown. It is frustrating to go by a restaurant and see a long line or the parking lot overflowing capacity. Not a good sight if you are hungry.

As for the downtown built environment: Asheville is my favorite downtown because of the streets that meet at odd angles. I like that the city was bigger 100 yrs ago so you have taller historic buildings and I prefer the narrower streets. Greenville has street trees so that is a huge mitigating factor. I like how the original buildings on main street are preserved. It's interesting to note that there are only two historic storefront buildings larger than two stories so if you look up you can tell that 100 yrs ago Greenville was a much smaller town.

As for people, I will say I felt far more comfortable in Greenville. My visit was an 80 degree sunday in mid February and the downtown and park were packed. My impression was middle class and prosperous working class people out enjoying themselves. White people, Black people, Hispanic people, and a surprising number of East Indian people. Even what I'd guess to be gay couples, though no PDA.

Asheville seems to be the province of mid-upper class white people, class X white people. One summer I did an informal census of downtown Asheville and saw a grand total of 5 black people during my hour walk around downtown. One was a busker, one I'd guess to be a student, the other 3 of reduced circumstance including a panhandler. I were a person of color it would be Greenville all the way.

As for Greenville's park: I loved it. It's not just the waterfall but the way the paths wind around and go different places. You could walk for an hour and hardly retrace your steps. I love the way the path goes under main street and those seating areas in the shade. I love the new waterfalls/ fountains to the west of main street - don't miss those if you visit. Only downside is because it is so well manicured I encountered noisy machines Monday morning so take this into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City