Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most-powerful, culturally-significant, world-class city??
Montréal 17 14.91%
Toronto 20 17.54%
Chicago 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:10 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Estimates still have us up from 2010.

The 606 is running through some of the most expensive parts of the city, in addition to areas seeing massive amounts of gentrification. Saying to avoid the 606 as a whole is like saying the lakefront trail should be avoided as well. It's ridiculous.

Which may not be as true as people previously thought. Downtown building has returned to pre-recession levels, and Chicago's metropolitan area just surpassed its previous, pre-recession employment peak.

We're not experiencing a massive boom like Toronto, but talking of continued decline is most likely premature.
And it also doesn't change the fact that Chicago is the most powerful city of this bunch, which is what was asked in the original post!

Old 11-20-2016, 04:14 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
And it also doesn't change the fact that Chicago is the most powerful city of this bunch, which is what was asked in the original post!
That too. Hell, we could probably go bankrupt and the private industries that make Chicago so powerful would continue to chug along. They already are, in spite of our financial woes.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:19 PM

615 posts, read 598,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Yes.Im sure those people carded have such love for TPS and the fine job they are doing.So insignificant to have drugs planted on you and you spend years in jail.
This is not a ONE time thing.Its apart of TPS culture.

You keep saying many AMerican cities but this is not a wide spread problem in Houston,Atlanta,D.C.,Seattle,etc....
No, your argument basically boils down to "Toronto has these problems". This is not much of an argument.

Every major city has these problems.

Police targeting black people when they haven't committed a crime is a widespread problem in America, to the point that comedian Dave Chapelle made his living off of pointing it out. It is a well publicized crisis. It's come to the point where Police are being shot and sniped in retaliation.

In Toronto these issues exist as well to a much smaller extent, but they are not ignored. Carding has been reviewed extensively, corrupt police have been indicted, etc...

Problems exist, people are trying to solve them.

I don't see what your point is.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:39 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Its called comparison and "precedent"

It seems very similar to me. Especially considering how small the black population is in Toronto.

Problem is,in typical Canadian style,its more ignored and pushed under the radar to promote your diverse city.

Oh by the way,I know also about the well known policy of trreatment of aboriginal people of how they are taken far out of the city and dropped off in the middle of know where in freezing temps is actually part of unwritten policy all across Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ive-years.html
I hope it does not happen but I see Canada eventually being like France.Things are fine now but what Toronto is doing with its police force and carding and the public's clueless attitude about racial issues will come back and bite you hard one day.
Yes, that pertains to the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women. Its sad to see. It hasn't happened much in Toronto as far as I know. Its more so in parts of Quebec, and the prarie provinces. But regardless of where it has happened it's still terrible.

I'll link you the 190 page report about the findings about CPD's systematic racism and it's lack of accountability: https://chicagopatf.org/wp-content/u..._4_13_16-1.pdf

Just a few take-aways from the 190-page report....

"In the early 1980s, a Chicago Reporter investigation found that CPD was
making approximately 150,000 “disorderly conduct” arrests each year, predominantly in minority
communities. What constituted disorderly conduct was often vague, and few cases were prosecuted
because officers routinely failed to appear in court. In 1980, 89,382 blacks were arrested for disorderly
conduct, compared to 33,270 whites and 17,931 Latinos. The arrests constituted almost half of all arrests
by CPD and therefore became one of the primary ways police interacted with minority communities.
"

"After the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling, the City amended its gang loitering ordinance to make it more
specific. However, the ordinance is still predominantly enforced against people of color. In the summer of
2014, CPD officers issued 4,842 dispersal orders—4,100 against blacks (84.7%), 673 against Hispanics
(13.9%) and 66 against whites (1.4%)."

"African Americans have been particularly targeted in predominantly white neighborhoods. In District 18,
which covers the Near North Side and part of Lincoln Park, only 9.1% of the population is black, yet blacks
accounted for 57.7% of all stops. Meanwhile, 75.5% of the district’s population is white, yet whites
accounted for only 28.6% of all stops. Similarly, in District 19, which covers parts of Lincoln Park, Lakeview,
Uptown and Lincoln Square, only 6.6% of the population is black, yet blacks accounted for 51.1% of all
stops. 75% of the district’s population is white, yet whites accounted for only 29.2% of all stops."

Oh by the way, I know also about the well known low solve-rate and 'pick and choose' crimes that the CPD takes serious when investigating (if they do).

Dwayne Wades cousin gets murdered? They find the killer within days.
A random person is shot? Nothing.

This past weekend (Nov 18, 2016) U.S. Republican Congressman Danny Davis' grandson is killed? They find the killer the next day.
A random girl is shot? Nothing.

Hadiya Pendleton a popular black girl that made her way to the white house to perform for Michelle Obama is killed? They find the killers right away.
etc.

You get the idea. Discriminatory bias on which cases they take serious (they high profile ones).

As killings surge, Chicago police solve fewer homicides.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...b66_story.html

"The department has gone from having one of the best clearance rates nationwide to one of the worst."

"The Chicago Police Department, the second-largest municipal police force in the nation, with about 12,000 officers, has been roiled by corruption and scandal, including allegations of brutality against blacks and the 2010 conviction of a former police commander who led a torture ring over three decades."

“When my baby was murdered, I received phone calls from several people because we started getting information right away about who the killer was,” she said. Palmer-Gant said she and family friends turned over what she had to investigators, including links to the Facebook profile of the alleged killer.

“She was following up on every lead,” Palmer-Gant said of the detective. Then, she said, that detective was reassigned. The new investigators told her that they needed more information.

“They said, ‘Why don’t you go get one of the witnesses?’ ” *Palmer-Gant recalls. She said she was stunned and told them: “You want me to go and knock on the door of the person who’s supposed to have something to do with my son’s murder?”

His killing remains unsolved.

Residents say, and police acknowledge, that some high-profile cases, such as the recent killing of Nykea Aldridge, the cousin of Chicago Bulls star Dwyane Wade, receive more police attention and are more likely to be solved."

“It’s in the big-money part of the city. It’s someone with a name, or someone with a connection, and it’s the headline,” Angelo said of “heater cases,” or high-profile homicides. “And that moves manpower.”

Within two days of Aldridge’s slaying, which drew national media coverage, two suspects had been arrested and charged."

Chicago police are solving less than one in four murder investigations
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/11/0...nvestigations/

Old 11-20-2016, 04:48 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
No, your argument basically boils down to "Toronto has these problems". This is not much of an argument.

Every major city has these problems.

Police targeting black people when they haven't committed a crime is a widespread problem in America, to the point that comedian Dave Chapelle made his living off of pointing it out. It is a well publicized crisis. It's come to the point where Police are being shot and sniped in retaliation.

In Toronto these issues exist as well to a much smaller extent, but they are not ignored. Carding has been reviewed extensively, corrupt police have been indicted, etc...

Problems exist, people are trying to solve them.

I don't see what your point is.
^Exactly. The same issues happen in all major North American cities. The only difference is that Chicago has the more serious issues compared to Montreal and Toronto's police forces as indicated through various reports and statistics.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:48 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Can we close this thread? The results are such that Chicago has won by a super-majority: 68.14%

Or are we going to keep it open so that we can all admire Mrjun whining and hyperventilating because Toronto didn't win 99.999% of the vote?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:52 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
?

"beat both Toronto and Chicago" in what?
Late night talk shows.

I just took the metric that you (ironically) put out there, and I ran with it.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 PM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Yes, that pertains to the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women. Its sad to see. It hasn't happened much in Toronto as far as I know. Its more so in parts of Quebec, and the prarie provinces. But regardless of where it has happened it's still terrible.
The issue of missing and murdered aboriginal women is not a big one in Quebec. Neither are "starlight tours": aboriginals (usually men) grabbed by police from downtown streets and taken far outside of town in the middle of the night in freezing weather.

One recent scandalous issue in Quebec has been the sexual abuse of a number of aboriginal women by police officers in the city of Val-d'Or.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:14 PM

153 posts, read 163,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Can we close this thread? The results are such that Chicago has won by a super-majority: 68.14%

Or are we going to keep it open so that we can all admire Mrjun whining and hyperventilating because Toronto didn't win 99.999% of the vote?
I SECOND CLOSING THE THREAD. IT'S A CHICAGO CRIME THREAD IT HAS BECOME. I'm tired of some allowed to post every internet sight on Chicago's crime in post after post. Then they have a history of trashing American city after city pitted against Toronto. Some get banned for trolling too favorably and positively for a city. Some get through posting NEGATIVEY on EVERY OTHER CITY Toronto is in vs. it.

I do not get it but I just try to avoid a post deleted or called a off topic post in part. But this thread IS AS BAD AS THE CHICAGO VS. TORONTO Thread I read through closed and OTHERS TORONTO WAS VS. AND THE SAME POSTERS POST ANYTHING FOUND ON THE INTERNET NEVATIVE.

MAYBE OTHERS CAN SAY "CLOSE THE THREAD" TOO? Toronto in a thread is a sure way to have the other city TRASHED searching the internet for links of negatives to BOOST TORONTO by lessening every other. San Francisco was TRASHED by the same Torontonians till closed.

I've read though many threads. But instead of posting great things coming to Toronto in their forum? They get few post but these Toronto v. American cities in city vs city threads and general US threads they have come to knocking ANY OTHER CITY. This is now on them on Crime after crime post. Yet there are to be No more Chicago crime threads on C-D. What's the difference here by some? CLOSE IT of no more crime after crime post.

CHICAGO WON AGAIN. I'm good with that.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 11-20-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-20-2016, 11:20 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
^^ I've long advocated for banning Toronto threads from the U.S. forum. The Torontonians on City Data don't play nice and it's hard to have a substantive discussion with poop-throwing monkeys. It was attempted with San Francisco and the Toronto fanboys started hurling poop. It has been attempted with Chicago (on many occasions) and the Toronto fanboys start hurling poop. It was tried with Brooklyn, and the Toronto fanboys start hurling poop. It's been tried with Boston, Miami, and Philadelphia. Poop, poop, poop.

I don't think there's another set of forumers who act like bigger troglodytes on City Data. If you aren't willing to say Toronto is #1 in the universe, they'll start cranking out the insults.

So why not just ban them from the U.S. forums? They can circlejerk themselves to death in the Canada forums, where they belong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City