Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 01:34 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times

Advertisements

Montreal has the prettier downtown. Philadelphia has the more impressive downtown. Philadelphia is also progressing more. But if I were a tourist, I'd pick Montreal before Philly...for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Are you calling me a liar ?
To be fair, it seems kind of strange, especially from someone on from Montreal.

Montreal has the edge over City Center in almost every metric as far as my experience goes. Philly may have a larger volume of office space, but Montreal is the more active and enjoyable pedestrian experience. Infinitely better for bikes, and a good distance ahead in transit. As far as how the size "feels," I'd say it's close with an edge to Montreal.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:31 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Montreal has the edge over City Center in almost every metric as far as my experience goes. Philly may have a larger volume of office space, but Montreal is the more active and enjoyable pedestrian experience. Infinitely better for bikes, and a good distance ahead in transit. As far as how the size "feels," I'd say it's close with an edge to Montreal.
I think that's a very fair assessment. I think the key difference is that, like essentially every American city outside of New York--and even among a top tier pedestrian American city like Philly--there's still definitely room for improvement compared to a city like Montreal, which simply has a higher footprint of very active, vibrant neighborhoods that have embraced more of a thoroughly European culture.

Certainly not dramatically more than Philly, but enough to, as you say, give it an edge.

The good news for Philly is that it has a fundamentally pedestrian/bike-friendly structure and a fantastically vibrant core--but it just needs to continue to "connect the dots" of vibrancy and continue to liven the dead zone stretches in between, which is exactly the strategy that's being employed.

And in fact, Philly has the potential to be the most Montreal-like American city as it continues revitalizing, due to their similar density, size and Euro-influenced culture.

Very good match up overall.

Old 11-06-2016, 09:51 AM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that's a very fair assessment. I think the key difference is that, like essentially every American city outside of New York--and even among a top tier pedestrian American city like Philly--there's still definitely room for improvement compared to a city like Montreal, which simply has a higher footprint of very active, vibrant neighborhoods that have embraced more of a thoroughly European culture.

Certainly not dramatically more than Philly, but enough to, as you say, give it an edge.

The good news for Philly is that it has a fundamentally pedestrian/bike-friendly structure and a fantastically vibrant core--but it just needs to continue to "connect the dots" of vibrancy and continue to liven the dead zone stretches in between, which is exactly the strategy that's being employed.

And in fact, Philly has the potential to be the most Montreal-like American city as it continues revitalizing, due to their similar density, size and Euro-influenced culture.

Very good match up overall.
It's true, from everyone that I know who has visited Philly and MTL or live in both cities respectfully say that they're basically the same. Philly has taller buildings and more office towers, while Montreal has more people walking downtown, better for bikes and slightly more vibrant. But at the end of the day, it's a close call since they're both similar. Both are going through a renaissance, high residential population, many college/university students, high amount of retail etc..

Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

Montreal probably has more tourist appeal to the average american, due to its euro-flair, but I highly doubt that it is ahead in transit. While montreal has a good system it lacks a fully unified and electrified regional rail, and light rail.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,651,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Montreal probably has more tourist appeal to the average american, due to its euro-flair, but I highly doubt that it is ahead in transit. While montreal has a good system it lacks a fully unified and electrified regional rail, and light rail.
Montreal has great coverage subway wise, we also have a train that connects downtown to the suburbs. Also, they're planning to build a 67km long REM with a possible 2nd extension. It'll unify subway lines with train and the REM.

http://skyrisecities.com/forum/threa.../#post-1118935

Old 11-07-2016, 12:39 AM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
Have enjoyed reading the thread responses so far.

Anyone have any opinions on how the two downtowns compare in their transitions to and integration with the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to the core?

Old 11-07-2016, 01:43 AM

Default Comparison of central shopping districts

How would you compare the shopping district on St. Catherine St. in Montreal to the one on Walnut St.
in Philly?

For a frame of reference here a few pics of the shopping district in Montreal.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_1386.jpg
(credit to Atanga of Skyscrapercity)

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_1388.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_1372.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_1381.jpg

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_1391.jpg

Would love to see pics of the shopping district in Philly!

Last edited by JMT; 11-07-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 AM

Also, the built form of the outlying neighborhoods of Montreal is eerily similar to those of Philly.
Architectural differences aside, wouldn't the street in the below pic be right at home in South Philly?
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/IMG_2091.jpg

I think if you ignore the architectural vernacular, Philadelphia is the US city most similar in built form to Montreal. The CBDs are both similar-sized, gridded, and have a mixture of high-rise and human-scaled development. The outlying neighborhoods also gridded streets with development all the way up to the curb and seemingly similar amount of separation between retail-dominated streets and residential streets.

I've heard Boston being thrown around as a better comparison for Montreal than Philly, but in built form I feel like Philly
much more strongly resembles Montreal.

Last edited by JMT; 11-07-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 06:11 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Montreal has an extensive commuter rail network with its Main Line being electrified. The biggest part in Montreal's favor is the heavy rail rapid transit system which has a much better network than the the single meeting point of Philadelphia's two rapid transit lines. Montreal's commuter rail is also better integrated with its rapid transit lines with transfers available to the subway at multiple different points that include outside of downtown stations. What's more, Montreal's systems have far more aggressive expansion plans than Philadelphia's so this difference is likely to become greater in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City