Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:01 AM

9,333 posts, read 9,191,704 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is bigger, busier, ruder, faster, and dirtier.

Montreal is a gorgeous very clean and friendly city. Noticeably smaller than Philadelphia, but neither are lacking cultural amenities, things to do, and excellent architecture.

Philadelphia has very extensive suburban regional transit lines, Montreal has a better subway system.

Montreal does shut down earlier than Philadelphia, not many late night venues with huge crowds. I would say Philadelphia definitely has more going for it right now though, the city is changing (for the better) at such a quick pace these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:09 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Montreal is a gorgeous very clean and friendly city. Noticeably smaller than Philadelphia, but neither are lacking cultural amenities, things to do, and excellent architecture.

Philadelphia has very extensive suburban regional transit lines, Montreal has a better subway system.

Montreal does shut down earlier than Philadelphia, not many late night venues with huge crowds. I would say Philadelphia definitely has more going for it right now though, the city is changing (for the better) at such a quick pace these days.
Montreal, in my experience, has always had a much larger and later late night crowd and is not noticeably smaller unless you're driving out to the suburbs.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 AM

3,160 posts, read 2,565,868 times
Quote:

I'm not so sure about MTL not having many late night venues. Maybe when it comes to restaurants and shops,yes I agree (I find restaurants closing at 10-11 too early), but nightlife wise no. Downtown and surrounding areas have a ton of clubs, bars and strip clubs and many party streets. Every time I go out and stay until last call (3am) there's always traffic and other activities going on up until 4-4:30. Also on a side note thank god for $2 chow mien and Schwartz and St.Viateur for being 24/7.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Montreal, in my experience, has always had a much larger and later late night crowd and is not noticeably smaller unless you're driving out to the suburbs.
Maybe it was just the places I went. I've had several weekends in Montreal for various friend functions, parties, etc. and by 1-2 it was eerily quiet almost everywhere, restaurants, bars, traffic etc.

I know a lot of Philadelphia is quiet at night, but lively neighborhoods like Old City, the Midtown/Gayborhood, U City, Northern Libs seem much more bustling late night than our counterparts in Montreal.

And Montreal is definitely smaller than Philadelphia. Its not as dense, tall, less traffic, and a much slower pace than Philadelphia. Montreal is prettier for sure, but feels more like Bostons size than Philadelphia.

Also, a funny side note, out of the 5 times I've been to Montreal in the past decade or so, the amount of cars horns and sirens I have heard I can count on 2 hands, compared to that of Philadelphia, and NYC I can't go 2 seconds without hearing someone lay on the horn.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe it was just the places I went. I've had several weekends in Montreal for various friend functions, parties, etc. and by 1-2 it was eerily quiet almost everywhere, restaurants, bars, traffic etc.

I know a lot of Philadelphia is quiet at night, but lively neighbourhoods like Old City, the Midtown/Gayborhood, U City, Northern Libs seem much more bustling late night than our counterparts in Montreal.

And Montreal is definitely smaller than Philadelphia. It's not as dense, tall, less traffic, and a much slower pace than Philadelphia. Montreal is prettier for sure but feels more like Boston's size than Philadelphia.

Also, a funny side note, out of the 5 times I've been to Montreal in the past decade or so, the amount of cars horns and sirens I have heard I can count on 2 hands, compared to that of Philadelphia, and NYC I can't go 2 seconds without hearing someone lay on the horn.
On a city v.s city basis, Montreal is bigger than Philly, metropolitan wise Philly is double us. We may not have tall buildings but our downtown is big, it's roughly 7.2 Sq mi. For the traffic have you gone to St. Catherine or Rene Levesque during business hours? It's basically all traffic, car horns and sirens non-stop. I'm curious did you come to Montreal during winter?

Old 11-07-2016, 12:01 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,605,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
On a city v.s city basis, Montreal is bigger than Philly, metropolitan wise Philly is double us. We may not have tall buildings but our downtown is big, it's roughly 7.2 Sq mi. For the traffic have you gone to St. Catherine or Rene Levesque during business hours? It's basically all traffic, car horns and sirens non-stop. I'm curious did you come to Montreal during winter?
7 square miles? That seems a little large. What does Montreal consider as Downtown? My definition of what would be Downtown Montreal would be about 3.5 to 4 sq miles at most.

What most people would consider "Downtown Philadelphia" would be the general boundaries for Center City and University City. This is about 4.2 sq miles.

Map here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q9...u8&usp=sharing

"Greater Center City" or the "Greater Downtown Area" - which I would consider the equal to your definition of "Downtown Montreal" would equal 9.6 square miles. This would be Center City, University City, and the surrounding neighborhoods of:

Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista and Queen Village in South Philly. Also, Powelton Village, West Powelton, Walnut Hill, Garden Court, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Clark Park, Squirrel Hill and Woodland Terrace in West Philadelphia. Lastly, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Francisville, Yorktown, Templetown, Poplar, West Poplar, Spring Arts, Northern Liberties, and the Delaware Waterfront in North Philadelphia.

Map here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rr...Rc&usp=sharing

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 11-07-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 11-07-2016, 12:04 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,605,100 times
Quote:
Ehh... they're about equal in size. Montreal is a little larger in land area, at 166 square miles and with a population of 1,649,519. That is a density of 11,701.

Philadelphia's land area is noticeably smaller, at 134 square miles. The population here is 1,567,442. That is a density of 11,635.

I would say these two cities are probably the most comparable cities in North America.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
7 square miles? That seems a little large. What does Montreal consider as Downtown? My definition of what would be Downtown Montreal would be about 3.5 to 4 sq miles at most.

What most people would consider "Downtown Philadelphia" would be the general boundaries for Center City and University City. This is about 4.2 sq miles.

Map here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Q9...u8&usp=sharing

"Greater Center City" or the "Greater Downtown Area" - which I would consider the equal to your definition of "Downtown Montreal" would equal 9.6 square miles. This would be Center City, University City, and the surrounding neighborhoods of:

Graduate Hospital, Hawthorne, Bella Vista and Queen Village in South Philly. Also, Powelton Village, West Powelton, Walnut Hill, Garden Court, Spruce Hill, Cedar Park, Clark Park, Squirrel Hill and Woodland Terrace in West Philadelphia. Lastly, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Francisville, Yorktown, Templetown, Poplar, West Poplar, Spring Arts, Northern Liberties, and the Delaware Waterfront.

Map here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rr...Rc&usp=sharing
They extended the downtown boundaries to include all of Ville-Marie,Griffintown and some parts of the Plateau.

Within those boundaries, the population is estimated to be at ~120,000. If you consider the neighbourhoods around it, it'll probably be around 300-400K. This is part of the strategy to increase population to 200,000 by 2050.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Ehh... they're about equal in size. Montreal is a little larger in land area, at 166 square miles and with a population of 1,649,519. That is a density of 11,701.

Philadelphia's land area is noticeably smaller, at 134 square miles. The population here is 1,567,442. That is a density of 11,635.

I would say these two cities are probably the most comparable cities in North America.
In 2016 the population here is estimated at 1.75M/2M on Island. I think Philly proper is at 1.6M now right? And yeah Philly and Montreal are the most similar, makes me want to visit Philly asap. Looks like a really awesome city.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I have gone during winter (cold). But I have visited in the summer. There was traffic of course, it just didn't seem as bad, and everyone was far more patient and friendly than drivers and pedestrians I have seen in Philadelphia. People in Montreal actually slow down to let you cross the street, which was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City