Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hampton Roads VA or Tampa Bay FL?
Hampton Roads VA (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News, Hampton) 16 38.10%
Tampa Bay FL (Tampa, St. Pete) 26 61.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 PM

61 posts, read 104,519 times

Advertisements

Looking to get out of the Northern Virginia / DC area. Which would be best for a mid-to-upper 20s couple who enjoys beaches... Tampa Bay area (Tampa, St. Pete) or Hampton Roads VA (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Hampton, Newport News)?? Any opinions from those of you who may have lived in both areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:27 PM

159 posts, read 269,535 times
Tough call. Sort of depends on what you're looking for. I'm familiar with Hampton Roads simply because we vacation there every year don't know much about that job market. Tampa is interesting for a while it had a large retirement community but recently the market there has come back and many young professional are getting jobs down there. One downside to Hampton Roads is the traffic going through the tunnel can be terrible, One downside to Tampa is that outside downtown and the bay area it is a tad bland, lots of strip malls and generic 80's rambler homes. Not all of the Tampa area is like this but a lot of it is. One thing to keep in mind is that both these places are much cheaper than the D.C area but the jobs tend to pay less. I'll give a slight edge to Hampton Roads, coming from D.C it will be an easy transition to make. It's different enough from D.C without being complete culture shock. It also still offers a 4 season climate with slightly milder winters than D.C.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:59 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Well you can enjoy the Tampa Bay beaches nearly year round so it would get my vote.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:42 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
Tough call. Sort of depends on what you're looking for. I'm familiar with Hampton Roads simply because we vacation there every year don't know much about that job market. Tampa is interesting for a while it had a large retirement community but recently the market there has come back and many young professional are getting jobs down there. One downside to Hampton Roads is the traffic going through the tunnel can be terrible, One downside to Tampa is that outside downtown and the bay area it is a tad bland, lots of strip malls and generic 80's rambler homes. Not all of the Tampa area is like this but a lot of it is. One thing to keep in mind is that both these places are much cheaper than the D.C area but the jobs tend to pay less. I'll give a slight edge to Hampton Roads, coming from D.C it will be an easy transition to make. It's different enough from D.C without being complete culture shock. It also still offers a 4 season climate with slightly milder winters than D.C.
OP asked for info on Tampa Bay, not the city of Tampa. The only so called bland areas are N/NW and around the port of Tampa(it looks industrialized.) Around Westshore it's very nice, I-275 going through is brand new, you have South Tampa, Channelside, Bayshore is beautiful and DT is experiencing growth(see Jeff Vinik project). The remaining areas are mostly suburban with good shopping options, clean (no graffiti/little trash on roads). CLW beach is exploding in growth and is very popular, DT St Pete is probably the best DT in FL in terms of walkability/stuff to do, so plenty of options in TB.

Btw, I find the rows of endless interconnected houses in DC more of a eyesore than the so called 'rambler houses'(they are all stand alone, more privacy).

Old 09-28-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
OP asked for info on Tampa Bay, not the city of Tampa. The only so called bland areas are N/NW and around the port of Tampa(it looks industrialized.) Around Westshore it's very nice, I-275 going through is brand new, you have South Tampa, Channelside, Bayshore is beautiful and DT is experiencing growth(see Jeff Vinik project). The remaining areas are mostly suburban with good shopping options, clean (no graffiti/little trash on roads). CLW beach is exploding in growth and is very popular, DT St Pete is probably the best DT in FL in terms of walkability/stuff to do, so plenty of options in TB.

Btw, I find the rows of endless interconnected houses in DC more of a eyesore than the so called 'rambler houses'(they are all stand alone, more privacy).
"Eyesore"? They may not be the type of housing you'd personally prefer to live in, but I fail to see how they could be considered eyesores in and of themselves.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 AM

Old brick/interconnected houses are not my cup of tea. You can almost hear everything your neighbor does, including having sex.

http://www.dccondoboutique.com/uploa..._place_400.jpg

Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Eyesore"? They may not be the type of housing you'd personally prefer to live in, but I fail to see how they could be considered eyesores in and of themselves.
I'm assuming he's talking about the bland row homes in NE D.C (Not the Capital hill section) which yeah are kinda bland. With that being said a good amount of suburban Tampa and St. Pete is a 80's rambler homes/strip mall haven. Not saying it's all bad there are numerous very pretty areas in and around Tampa, but sometimes getting to the pretty areas can be a bore.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverJD View Post
I'm assuming he's talking about the bland row homes in NE D.C (Not the Capital hill section) which yeah are kinda bland. With that being said a good amount of suburban Tampa and St. Pete is a 80's rambler homes/strip mall haven. Not saying it's all bad there are numerous very pretty areas in and around Tampa, but sometimes getting to the pretty areas can be a bore.
Actually I once got lost in DC en route to NYC and ended up behind Capitol Hill (4 blocks away there was a sizeable ghetto). Now I know DC is being gentrified or whatever they are doing to trick people into moving in, however, INMO old brick interconnected buildings is the closest to living in an apartment. Some of these are far uglier than 'rambler' homes.

Strip malls = convenience/neighborhood shopping options..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Old brick/interconnected houses are not my cup of tea. You can almost hear everything your neighbor does, including having sex.

http://www.dccondoboutique.com/uploa..._place_400.jpg
That doesn't make them eyesores; that's a term used to refer to aesthetics. I mean I know it's subjective to a degree, but most reasonable people wouldn't call the rowhomes in that pic eyesores.

Quote:
Actually I once got lost in DC en route to NYC and ended up behind Capitol Hill (4 blocks away there was a sizeable ghetto). Now I know DC is being gentrified or whatever they are doing to trick people into moving in, however, INMO old brick interconnected buildings is the closest to living in an apartment. Some of these are far uglier than 'rambler' homes.

Trick? You don't have to trick people to move into neighborhoods where homes are almost sure to significantly appreciate in value, have easy access to transit, amenities, etc.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 09-28-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:

No one's denying that, but they are bland. Newer suburban shopping centers are much more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City