Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 05:38 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
If you think Pittsburgh should be in the top ten (basically what you're saying) and ahead of Houston, Detroit, Atlanta, etc., then I can't help you. You might just want to hang out in the dedicated Pittsburgh thread (is there one?).
Top 10?

NYC
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Boston
Philly
Seattle
Miami
Portland
Denver
Austin
DC

There ya go...more than 10 that I think beat Pittsburgh....done being snarky yet? You might just want to hang out in the zone where people post condescendingly because they don't have much to say of substance. Nothing really interesting stands out to me about Atlanta, or Houston. Not big enough or unique enough to be interesting...Living in Chicago, going to Atlanta or Houston just feels watered down. Pittsburgh still feels interesting despite being smaller. Detroit has a lot of blight but it has interesting qualities, though arguably nothing that Pittsburgh doesn't have. Sorry for having a differing opinion, My Liege.

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 11-28-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 05:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Pittsburgh isn't top-10, but it offers a lot of variety. If you're focused on nightlife, it's not going to rank very high for you. Cities like Atlanta are going to offer a lot more based on scale alone, but overall, Pittsburgh compares favorably to most metros in the 1-4 million population range. Please allow me to reiterate the fact that Pittsburgh does, in fact, suck.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:54 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I agree. It should be within the immediate urban area or MSA.
MSA I have no problem with but its ridiculous to limit to city limits when the majority of cities in the U.S. has a larger suburban population than urban.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:59 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Top 10?

NYC
Chicago
LA
San Francisco
Boston
Philly
Seattle
Miami
Portland
Denver
Austin
DC

There ya go...more than 10 that I think beat Pittsburgh....done being snarky yet? You might just want to hang out in the zone where people post condescendingly because they don't have much to say of substance. Nothing really interesting stands out to me about Atlanta, or Houston. Not big enough or unique enough to be interesting...Living in Chicago, going to Atlanta or Houston just feels watered down. Pittsburgh still feels interesting despite being smaller. Detroit has a lot of blight but it has interesting qualities, though arguably nothing that Pittsburgh doesn't have. Sorry for having a differing opinion, My Liege.
You can have your opinion but please elaborate.
Whats watered down about Atlanta's history and culture but what stands out about Portland,Denver,or Austin?
Houston ,Dallas and Atlanta are all sunbelt cities but all are different and in my opinion based on hstory alone,Atlanta stands out among those.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I agree with much of your list, but if you think that Cleveland, Detroit, San Antonio, Baltimore, and Minneapolis have more to do than Pittsburgh in 2016, I can't take the list seriously. Hell, I can't even see what Dallas, Houston and Atlanta offer that Pittsburgh doesn't (when it comes to things that are actually interesting to most people)
Baltimore certainly competes with Pittsburgh when it comes to things to do. No doubt about it.

Pittsburgh is very underrated though.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,379 times
L.A is probably the most unique city in America because it's a city and county at the same time.If your living in the City of West Hollywood or Culver City that's still easily considered L.A.You began to feel your in another area when you start hitting the valley and even that could be considered the L.A area.

Beverly Hills is smack right in the middle of the city but it's ran by its own city government.Plus the farther West you go your entering Santa Monica and a few other beach cities that's pretty all adjacent to Los Angeles.

PCH,The longest state route in California is a major north-south state highway that takes you through Los Angeles and other major cities as well.

So L.A isn't a city where you'll only stay in it's city limits.
Getting to the LAX you'll have to go through other cities.
It's a city connected by the biggest freeways in the country.Miami is another city that has major attractions outside of the city limits.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,510,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Baltimore has much more going on beyond the harbor, which is primarily frequented by tourists. Locals go to Federal Hill, Mt Vernon, Harbor East, Fells Point and Canton. This is based on my knowledge as an out of towner. Local posters may know of other great spots to hang out.
As a local I would add Hampden/Mill Valley, Station North and, to a lesser extent, the Mt. Washington and Luaraville business districts and Belvedere Square. I'm sure there are entertainment zones heavily oriented to the black majority population but I'm not tuned in enough to know where they are. The Latino population tends to party in Upper Fells Point. Towson (not in the city and 7 miles from downtown) has a party scene oriented to university students and others. The historic part of Ellicott City has some stuff about 10 miles from downtown. As I said in another post, DC is close by enough for an evening visit and home in about an hour.

I'm not claiming that this makes Baltimore a top 10 city, but it probably makes the top 20.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurana View Post
Feel free to criticize (:

1. NYC
2. LA
3. San Fran
4. Chicago
5. DC

6. Austin
7. Boston
8. Portland
9. Seattle
10. Miami
11. Philadelphia
12. San Diego
13. Atlanta
14. New Orleans
15. Minneapolis
16. Houston
17. Denver
18. Dallas
Your top 5 are good and reasonable choices.

But #6 is Austin? Not IMHO. Also Miami should be higher. I am assuming that outdoor activities are included?

Since you stopped at 18, I would suggest going on to 20 and including Las Vegas and Orlando at least.

Finally a minor question - why is Portland ahead of Seattle? I do not know these cities but if I had to take a guess I would have ranked Seattle ahead of Portland. Just curious at what your thinking is.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:46 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
As a local I would add Hampden/Mill Valley, Station North and, to a lesser extent, the Mt. Washington and Luaraville business districts and Belvedere Square. I'm sure there are entertainment zones heavily oriented to the black majority population but I'm not tuned in enough to know where they are. The Latino population tends to party in Upper Fells Point. Towson (not in the city and 7 miles from downtown) has a party scene oriented to university students and others. The historic part of Ellicott City has some stuff about 10 miles from downtown. As I said in another post, DC is close by enough for an evening visit and home in about an hour.

I'm not claiming that this makes Baltimore a top 10 city, but it probably makes the top 20.
Baltimore has tons to do. The sad thing is that the locals don't know what's going in around here. I have w friends who were born and raised in the city that have never been to Federal Hill, Hampden, Highlandtown, Mount Vernon. The only thing they know about downtown is the Harbor and Fells Point.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:47 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
I loved DC because not only was there was stuff to do, there was plenty of FREE (and cheap enough) stuff to do. Touristy and non-touristy. I even got Nats tickets for free, and my Caps ticket only cost $20, and thats only because I had to find a section for 3.

I think every city has some hidden gems, you just have to go out and look for them rather than they come to you. Charleston was definately that way.

Obviously a lot to do in NyC, but also a lot you have to pay for. Chelsea Market is a great little spot though, and the Greenbelt or whatever its called is also pretty nice. When going to NYC, its a mission to find non-Times Square related happenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City