Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,898 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I wanted to get some more info of whether it would be better for me to be in Pensacola or Jacksonville.

First of I will tell you a little about me I guess so I can get some more input. I currently live in the Pacific NW in the Portland area and lived here most of my life. I really hate it here and I won't even get into every single reason but here are the main more objective ones.

1. I cannot stand the lack of sunshine and near constant drizzle for over half the year.

2. The coast here is nice, but it sucks for actually going in the water. I am one of those people that can't stand just looking at the water, I have to be in it. I need somewhere with a warmer coastline. Ocean is must have for me even though some swimming holes are nice as well. I don't wanna wear a wetsuit to go in the ocean.

3. Economy here absolutely sucks- I hear similar for Florida. I guess you cannot have it all. It's ok though I have always been able to make enough money- it would just be nice to have more options.

4. The overly fake liberal climate here. Don't get me wrong a lot of these are good people with good intentions, but I notice Portland is entirely hypocritical in their "liberalness". For such a "liberal" area I'd say people here are intolerant racist as all **** without even realizing it. I think there is a reason this is the whitest "big city" in the US or so I have heard many times. Oh and god forbid you disagree with a "liberal" on any little thing here they start to get all up in arms and extremely intolerant with you.

So onto why I am looking at Pensacola/Jacksonville.

#1 They both have beaches with warmer water.

#2 Low cost of living. I can afford to live well here.

#3 I am assuming the liberal climate or lack thereof is quite different from Portland.

#4 They both have community colleges/universities on the chance I decide to go back to school.

My concerns

Is UWF or UNF better for jobs?

Crime

Outdoor things to do? One of the few things I like about this part of the country is that there is no shortage of outdoor things to do (even though the weather is too miserable to do anything most of the year in my opinon)

Real estate market (in the future not an immediate concern)

Fun or interesting cities that are nearby for a day or overnight trip

Hostile climate due to recent politics/activist groups- I care about Black Lives Matter and I don't hate Hillary voters but please I don't wanna be someplace people would beat me up for admitting I voted for Trump and I don't wanna be anywhere cops are being shot at over the BLM movement.

Things I could care less about

I don't care about nightlife or lack thereof too much. It is something I don't participate in frequently. Could care less about how many bars there are either.

I don't really care about the difference in population between Pensacola/Jacksonville. Both are fine for me although quite different in this aspect.

I could care less about the dating scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 01:01 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Jacksonville has a strong economy, better than Pensacola for sure. The city has nice weather, beaches, shopping, amenities ect. The Florida panhandle is overrated. I would choose Jacksonville.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:53 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Sorry i can't really make a thorough comparison. I've driven through Pensacola maybe 5 or 6 times but have never once seen the city besides the view from I-10.

UNF is decent enough. I would guess that UNF has more to offer and a slightly stronger reputation, but it's not close to the category of UF/FSU

Crime
Crime isnt too bad in Jax. Overall I think the numbers are quite high, but it really doesn't feel any different in most parts of the city. You'll just want to avoid general "bad areas."

Outdoor things to do? One of the few things I like about this part of the country is that there is no shortage of outdoor things to do (even though the weather is too miserable to do anything most of the year in my opinon)

Lots to do if you love water activities.

Currently still good and rising. Helps that both the job and population are growing at a good pace.

This one would easily go to Jax imo. Pensacola would notably be much closer to New Orleans. Besides that though, you're really just in better position for Alabama and Mississippi for short trips. Jax gets you easy access to ALL of FL (including the Panhandle) and up the east coast where you'd have Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach all within ~5 hrs.

Hostile climate due to recent politics/activist groups

I'm guessing this is no different than Pensacola, but you wouldnt be in the minority here in Jax. I am a liberal (hopefully more genuine and tolerant than your description) but Jax is about 50/50. I will note that tensions are quite high in this region, especially because (imo) there are quite a lot of extremists on the far right. So the tension and possible confrontations may bother you in the coming years. But you wouldnt at all be alone or unable to speak your mind.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Sorry i can't really make a thorough comparison. I've driven through Pensacola maybe 5 or 6 times but have never once seen the city besides the view from I-10.

UNF is decent enough. I would guess that UNF has more to offer and a slightly stronger reputation, but it's not close to the category of UF/FSU

Crime
Crime isnt too bad in Jax. Overall I think the numbers are quite high, but it really doesn't feel any different in most parts of the city. You'll just want to avoid general "bad areas."

Currently still good and rising. Helps that both the job and population are growing at a good pace.

This one would easily go to Jax imo. Pensacola would notably be much closer to New Orleans. Besides that though, you're really just in better position for Alabama and Mississippi for short trips. Jax gets you easy access to ALL of FL (including the Panhandle) and up the east coast where you'd have Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach all within ~5 hrs.

I'm guessing this is no different than Pensacola, but you wouldnt be in the minority here in Jax. I am a liberal (hopefully more genuine and tolerant than your description) but Jax is about 50/50. I will note that tensions are quite high in this region, especially because (imo) there are quite a lot of extremists on the far right. So the tension and possible confrontations may bother you in the coming years. But you wouldnt at all be alone or unable to speak your mind.
Agree.

Not a big fan of the panhandle.

Jacksonville for sure, much bigger.

I like where it is situated....just to the south there's Saint Augustine....Daytona Beach,
to the north ...Savannah....the Georgia Islands.

Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Pensacola has the better beach, but Jacksonville is a better city. It's one of the country's strongest mid-sized cities versus a small town that basically only has the beach and naval base going for it.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 11,898 times
Ok you all made your point. I do work from home currently, but it would be nice to have fallback options- and it sounds like Jax has some opportunity.

Thank you!

Old 11-29-2016, 08:57 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
I'd go with Jacksonville. Just the size itself gives you more opportunities. It does have a very high crime rate, but it has a lot of pluses too.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:24 AM

301 posts, read 189,144 times
If it were me, I would say Jacksonville. I've lived in the Destin area (about 1.5 hours east of Pensacola) for about 6 years now and it's a real struggle. Housing is expensive, job availability is low, and the political climate is very conservative. As a liberal twenty-something who enjoys theatre, live music, and has film-industry aspirations, I do not fit in well here. Planning a move as we speak.

The beaches ARE beautiful, if you're a beach person. I never see the beach because I have to work a second job waiting tables on the weekends to survive. It's a bummer, but it is what it is. Financially, I'm surviving, but not thriving. If you make great money, work from home, and enjoy a more conservative political atmosphere, you'd probably be happy enough in Pensacola.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Crime

No way!

I would pick Jax easily. It's an underrated city overall.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No way!

I would pick Jax easily. It's an underrated city overall.
Thanks! The 50/50 comment referred to politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City