Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Sacramento, CA 49 64.47%
Richmond, VA 27 35.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:02 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times

Advertisements

Which city is the best? Use the following criteria or previous experience with either city.

Friendliness of people:
Crime:
Vibrant:
Economy:
Food:
Cleanliness of environment:
Transportation:
Schools:
Future outlook:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 02:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Richmond

Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Sacramento

Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Richmond
Why do you feel Richmond is better than Sacramento?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sacramento
Why do you feel Sacramento is better than Richmond?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Why do you feel Sacramento is better than Richmond?
1.Not in the South
2.In California
3.Mediterranean Climate is better than Humid Subtropical Climate (subjective of course, but matters to me)
4.SF Bay Area is better than Greater Washington/Baltimore as far as nearest big urban center
5.No snow or freezing rain in Sacramento
6.Summers aren't uncomfortably muggy in Sacramento like in Richmond
7.Sacramento is more urban than Richmond
8.Not in the South (I know I mentioned that already)

Old 10-23-2016, 11:03 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
1.Not in the South
2.In California
3.Mediterranean Climate is better than Humid Subtropical Climate (subjective of course, but matters to me)
4.SF Bay Area is better than Greater Washington/Baltimore as far as nearest big urban center
5.No snow or freezing rain in Sacramento
6.Summers aren't uncomfortably muggy in Sacramento like in Richmond
7.Sacramento is more urban than Richmond
8.Not in the South (I know I mentioned that already)
We have a problem here:

First of all, that's a bit of a farce, that Sacramento is more urban than Richmond. Let me ask you, what are Sacramento's premier urban neighborhoods? I can tell you for a fact, South Sacramento is highly suburbanized--from Valley Hi/North Laguna to Meadowview to Pocket-Greenhaven to Oak Park, and virtually everywhere in between. Highly suburbanized. And South Sac is the meat of the city, it's the largest chunk of land in Sacramento and by far has the largest population in the city...

Don't get me started with the relative "countriness" of North Sac hoods like Del Paso. Sacramento has obvious advantages over Richmond; urbanity nor scale of urbanity, isn't one of them...

Richmond is in the South. I'm not sure it's the South you're envisioning, though...

Summers in Sacramento are deathly hot. Back to back to back 95+/100 degree days. Listen, 100 degrees is 100 degrees. It's hard to ascertain a city has less humidity when there's week long stretches of weather around 100...

Personally, I find Sacramento's topography and climate wanting. It's in a valley, its flat, in the summer it feels like a desert because it's so dry. Where is the precipitation?

We're definitely going to disagree on the statement of San Francisco being better than Washington. But this thread isn't about either one, and frankly, proximity to both results in a draw here...

California is nice. Not of the belief that it's the absolute beacon of America, though. I prefer the East Coast and Richmond puts you at the southern terminus of the BosWash corridor, or at the very least, ~50 miles from it--which means you are just hours to the cities of the elite Megaregion in North America...Sacramento wouldn't be my first (nor second) choice if moving to California...

As it goes, I respect the opinions of those who prefer Sacramento. Who has been to both (besides myself)? These cities are fairly evenly matched. I've mentioned before that I believe Sacramento is an underrated gem, but it does have a bit of an underwhelming, smallish city vibe. I'll mention that it is very debatable that core Richmond is more vibrant than core Sacramento....very...

Old 10-23-2016, 12:29 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,965 times
Friendliness of people: Who Knows
Crime: Richmond
Vibrant: Richmond
Economy: Richmond
Food: Sacramento. Farm to Fork capital.
Cleanliness of environment: Sacramento
Transportation: Easily Sacramento. 3 light rail lines, one of the busiest Amtrak stations in US, busier "international" airport than Richmond...and a streetcar line is in the works
Schools: Easily Richmond.
Future outlook: Who Knows. I can only speak for Sacramento. Sac has a lot of urban development proposed, particularly in and around the new Golden 1 Center, which is perhaps the greenest and state-of-the-art arena in the nation.

Other intangibles in favor of Sacramento is diversity, one of the more ethnically diverse places you can find. I'd give Richmond sports but Sac has the NBA and most likely a MLS team soon. Weather is subjective.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
We have a problem here:

First of all, that's a bit of a farce, that Sacramento is more urban than Richmond. Let me ask you, what are Sacramento's premier urban neighborhoods? I can tell you for a fact, South Sacramento is highly suburbanized--from Valley Hi/North Laguna to Meadowview to Pocket-Greenhaven to Oak Park, and virtually everywhere in between. Highly suburbanized. And South Sac is the meat of the city, it's the largest chunk of land in Sacramento and by far has the largest population in the city...

Don't get me started with the relative "countriness" of North Sac hoods like Del Paso. Sacramento has obvious advantages over Richmond; urbanity nor scale of urbanity, isn't one of them...

Richmond is in the South. I'm not sure it's the South you're envisioning, though...

Summers in Sacramento are deathly hot. Back to back to back 95+/100 degree days. Listen, 100 degrees is 100 degrees. It's hard to ascertain a city has less humidity when there's week long stretches of weather around 100...

Personally, I find Sacramento's topography and climate wanting. It's in a valley, its flat, in the summer it feels like a desert because it's so dry. Where is the precipitation?

We're definitely going to disagree on the statement of San Francisco being better than Washington. But this thread isn't about either one, and frankly, proximity to both results in a draw here...

California is nice. Not of the belief that it's the absolute beacon of America, though. I prefer the East Coast and Richmond puts you at the southern terminus of the BosWash corridor, or at the very least, ~50 miles from it--which means you are just hours to the cities of the elite Megaregion in North America...Sacramento wouldn't be my first (nor second) choice if moving to California...

As it goes, I respect the opinions of those who prefer Sacramento. Who has been to both (besides myself)? These cities are fairly evenly matched. I've mentioned before that I believe Sacramento is an underrated gem, but it does have a bit of an underwhelming, smallish city vibe. I'll mention that it is very debatable that core Richmond is more vibrant than core Sacramento....very...
Sac has a higher population density and light rail. Those are usually two things used to gauge urbanity. I would conceed Richmond has a better historic core. Though it goes without saying, Sac's core was destroyed by a flood....TWICE.

Sac does have hot summer days, but I find it funny that you fail to mention that it cools down to 65-70 degrees when the sun goes down. That's a lot better than 80 degrees with 100% humidity.

Sac is not totally flat, even in the core. But surrounding burbs on river bluffs and Sierra foothills can get quite hilly. And warm dry summers are part of Sac's destinctive change of seasons.

Sac's core had made some really dramatic changes in the last couple of years, and the underwhelming vibe is really becoming passe. Nothing personal, but your post reads like someone who's knowledge is more based off google maps than a street level.

Sac is about 60 miles from the bay and Napa, and about 80 miles from Lake Tahoe. It's not exactly the land of oz, like say, Salt Lake. And honestly, Richmond would not be my first, or second, or 3rd, or 4th choice for east coast places to live. Calling it a part of the BosWash corridor is a huge stretch. They call it BOSWASH for a reason.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Sac has a higher population density and light rail. Those are usually two things used to gauge urbanity. I would conceed Richmond has a better historic core. Though it goes without saying, Sac's core was destroyed by a flood....TWICE.

Sac does have hot summer days, but I find it funny that you fail to mention that it cools down to 65-70 degrees when the sun goes down. That's a lot better than 80 degrees with 100% humidity.

Sac is not totally flat, even in the core. But surrounding burbs on river bluffs and Sierra foothills can get quite hilly. And warm dry summers are part of Sac's destinctive change of seasons.

Sac's core had made some really dramatic changes in the last couple of years, and the underwhelming vibe is really becoming passe. Nothing personal, but your post reads like someone who's knowledge is more based off google maps than a street level.

Sac is about 60 miles from the bay and Napa, and about 80 miles from Lake Tahoe. It's not exactly the land of oz, like say, Salt Lake. And honestly, Richmond would not be my first, or second, or 3rd, or 4th choice for east coast places to live. Calling it a part of the BosWash corridor is a huge stretch. They call it BOSWASH for a reason.
Repped 👍

Granted I've only been to Richmond once, Sacramento several times, but I just don't like the eaat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City