Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
California 47 42.34%
the Mid-Atlantic Region 64 57.66%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,242,923 times

Advertisements

- Climate: Mid-Atlantic (yeah, I'm weird, I like all 4 seasons and really want some snow right now)
- Topography: California
- Economy: California
- Costs and expenses: Mid Atlantic
- Public education (K-12) and higher education (colleges and universities): Mid Atlantic
- Infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, drainage systems, levee systems, whatever): Mid Atlantic
- Airport (international and domestic): Mid Atlantic
- Urban offerings: Mid Atlantic
- Architectural style: Mid Atlantic
- Public Transport (buses, inner city rail, commuter rail, tramways): Mid Atlantic
- Amenities: Mid Atlantic
- Diversity: Tie
- Culinary scene: Mid Atlantic
- Music scene: California, but not like the Mid-Atlantic is some forgotten wasteland in the music scene. Just not California.
- Political scene (type of politics and mindset): Mid Atlantic
- Neighborhoods (historic, ethnic, affluent, middle-class, so on): Mid Atlantic
- Suburbs: Mid-Atlantic
- Entertainment (sports themes, major conventions, themeparks, waterparks, so on): California
- Nightlife scene: Mid Atlantic
- Image as a place: California
- Safety: California
- History: Mid Atlantic
- Level of Customer Service: Mid-Atlantic (also weird because I like the abruptness and haste over the laid-back California)
- User friendliness (the city is easy to get around, easy to understand, things come easy here): California
- Cultural institutions and performing arts: Mid Atlantic
- City parks, public spaces, and greenbelts: Mid-Atlantic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 03:02 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Since I live in Maryland and have family throughout the state, I've spent plenty of time throughout the state, been to Philadelphia several times, and I've been to NYC a few times. What is your point asking that?
Because I was curious how much knowledge you have of the Mid-Atlantic as a recent transfer from Cali. The Mid-Atlantic includes far more than suburban DC, Philly and NYC. It also includes the Pocono, Allegheny, and Catoctin mountain ranges, the Delmarva Peninsula, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, the Hudson River Valley, the Brandywine River Valley, the Jersey Shore and the Hamptons, Lake Champlain, the Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, the Pennsylvania Amish country along with many other signature areas. When you consider that it is also home of the nation's capital, the nation's largest city and Philadelphia, the nation's birthplace, the Mid-Atlantic is a pretty remarkable corner of the country.

I am not picking on you, as I can see you put your some thought into your assessment. I am simply trying to point out to others that the Mid-Atlantic extends well beyond the cities located on the I95 corridor.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,392,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine to vine View Post
because i was curious how much knowledge you have of the mid-atlantic as a recent transfer from cali. The mid-atlantic includes far more than suburban dc, philly and nyc. It also includes the pocono, allegheny, and catoctin mountain ranges, the delmarva peninsula, the chesapeake and delaware bays, the hudson river valley, the brandywine river valley, the jersey shore and the hamptons, lake champlain, the finger lakes, niagara falls, the pennsylvania amish country along with many other signature areas. When you consider that it is also home of the nation's capital, the nation's largest city and philadelphia, the nation's birthplace, the mid-atlantic is a pretty remarkable corner of the country.

I am not picking on you, as i can see you put your some thought into your assessment. I am simply trying to point out to others that the mid-atlantic extends well beyond the cities located on the i95 corridor.
+ 1!!!

Old 12-02-2016, 10:01 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Because I was curious how much knowledge you have of the Mid-Atlantic as a recent transfer from Cali. The Mid-Atlantic includes far more than suburban DC, Philly and NYC. It also includes the Pocono, Allegheny, and Catoctin mountain ranges, the Delmarva Peninsula, the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays, the Hudson River Valley, the Brandywine River Valley, the Jersey Shore and the Hamptons, Lake Champlain, the Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, the Pennsylvania Amish country along with many other signature areas. When you consider that it is also home of the nation's capital, the nation's largest city and Philadelphia, the nation's birthplace, the Mid-Atlantic is a pretty remarkable corner of the country.

I am not picking on you, as I can see you put your some thought into your assessment. I am simply trying to point out to others that the Mid-Atlantic extends well beyond the cities located on the I95 corridor.
I knew that already. That would be as ridiculous as judging all of California solely by Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Keep in mind I have a lot of relatives throughout the Mid-Atlantic and had knowledge of the region plus many of the places you mentioned due to me visiting here quite a bit long before I moved here. But thanks for the geography lesson, I guess...

Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Quote:
I have a lot of relatives throughout the Mid-Atlantic and had knowledge of the region plus many of the places you mentioned due to me visiting here quite a bit long before I moved here. But thanks for the geography lesson, I guess...
You're welcomed. Though I must say I'm now confused. When I asked you about your personal familiarity with the Mid-Atlantic a page earlier, you gave this reply:
Quote:
I live in Maryland and have family throughout the state, I've spent plenty of time throughout the state, been to Philadelphia several times, and I've been to NYC a few times.
^^^Is this the correct answer or not?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:54 PM

9,708 posts, read 6,335,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
- Climate: California
- Topography: California
- Economy: California
- Costs and expenses: Mid Atlantic
- Public education (K-12) and higher education (colleges and universities): Mid Atlantic
- Infrastructure (roads, sidewalks, drainage systems, levee systems, whatever): Mid Atlantic
- Airport (international and domestic): Mid Atlantic
- Urban offerings: Mid Atlantic
- Architectural style: Mid Atlantic
- Public Transport (buses, inner city rail, commuter rail, tramways): Mid Atlantic
- Amenities: Mid Atlantic
- Diversity: Mid Atlantic
- Culinary scene: Mid Atlantic
- Music scene: All-Time (Mid Atlantic), Right Now (California)
- Political scene (type of politics and mindset): Mid Atlantic (Personal Reasons)
- Neighborhoods (historic, ethnic, affluent, middle-class, so on): Mid Atlantic
- Suburbs: Calfornia
- Entertainment (sports themes, major conventions, themeparks, waterparks, so on): California
- Nightlife scene: Mid Atlantic
- Image as a place: California
- Safety: California
- History: Mid Atlantic
- Level of Customer Service: California
- User friendliness (the city is easy to get around, easy to understand, things come easy here): California
- Cultural institutions and performing arts: Mid Atlantic
- City parks, public spaces, and greenbelts: California

Would rather live in the Mid Atlantic, and leave California as an option to often visit. Main drawbacks about the Mid Atlantic though is the weather, hate for it to drop anywhere below 40/30.
Economy you'd choose California? Really?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,202,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You're welcomed. Though I must say I'm now confused. When I asked you about your personal familiarity with the Mid-Atlantic a page earlier, you gave this reply:

^^^Is this the correct answer or not?
Both are correct. I currently live in the region, but I also visited here a lot (due to the fact I have relatives and family throughout the mid-Atlantic and would sightsee) long before I moved here and continue to sightsee in various parts of the region. If that "confuses" you, I really don't know what to tell you. Are you nitpicking like this because I mentioned a few cities earlier (I was in a hurry when I wrote that) rather than the region as a whole in general?

Is that clear enough for you or are you planning to nitpick my answers and ask more irrelevant and condescending questions in some sort of attempt to prove a point and undermine the opinions I wrote earlier?

Last edited by biscuit_head; 12-03-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 10:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,973,531 times
There is no point in existing if you don't live in CA.

LOL at lumping NYC with the mid Atlantic, when it is decidedly north eastern.

Mid Atlantic is Maryland, Penn, and such.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,242,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

It's exactly that attitude that makes me not want to move back to CA. Believe it or not, there are people who actually don't want to live in CA. Fully evidenced by CA losing this poll.

You're completely wrong. NYC is Mid Atlantic. North of NYC becomes New England. Nobody would say NYC is New England.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states
Regions of the United States - Studying in US - a Guide about Studying Abroad in US
Mid-Atlantic states - definition of Mid-Atlantic states by The Free Dictionary
The Middle Atlantic
https://www.learner.org/interactives...ap/fifty5.html
Mid-Atlantic travel guide - Wikitravel
Mid-atlantic states | Define Mid-atlantic states at Dictionary.com
Mid-Atlantic States: animated activities and games

Did I provide enough sources or do you want more?

Old 12-04-2016, 12:29 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,388,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

You can be Mid-Atlantic and still be Northeastern.

Besides, NYC has more in comparison with the Mid-Atlantic than New England, trust me, it's noticeable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City