Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:47 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati has lots of urban decay visible from the road, much worse than Indianapolis. I've been to numerous Reds games and a Bengals game and like the riverfront area, but I just don't see the draw to Cincinnati.

I think Indy has a better downtown than Cincy, but I would still take Louisville over either if all things are equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:18 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post

What I'm left wondering is where in the world are the people that live in all these hip, urban, cultured places getting all their money to pay to eat out constantly, pay for all these museums and what not, on top of what seems to be sky high rents? It seems the focus of the these city vs city threads have a lot of "we have more of x, y, and z." But usually these things cost money, and in some cases, they aren't cheap. I look at government stats of household incomes. I see what my wife and I make, I see how we have lived to get what we have, then I wonder how some of you manage to save a nickle to your name engaging in all this urban 'culture.' Then again, maybe people are pretty much broke, lucky to have $500 in savings, and living credit card statement to credit card statement.
I live in Austin and if had to pay rent I wouldn't be able to afford to live here. I don't think you can find a 1 bedroom apt in Austin for less than than $1000 a month. I was lucky because I got to Austin when it was one of the cheapest cities in America to live in. I came for the bars and the lakes and the good music and the weed and the easy going lifestyle, all of which was everywhere. My 1st job I made less than 5$ an hour but I was able to pay rent and make a car payment and utilities and insurance and food and gas and still had money left over to go out on the weekends. I lived modestly and eventually saved up enough money to buy a mobile home and half acre land with 23 trees on the property in far South Central Austin 78745 and now it's all paid for. Now a days, Austin is one of the most expensive cities in the nation outside the NE, DC and the West Coast, but it's the only place in the world I can live rent free. The only thing I have to pay are property taxes which run about 1300$ a year, which is pretty steep for a mobile home and some land. But the city keeps Austin spruced up and looking nice, so I figure it's money well spent.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. Indianapolis was not what I expected given the hype I read on here and by my friends that live in the city. It reminded me of Oklahoma City a lot. I did not know that it would be so rural looking. To be as large as it is, I expected more. I feel like Louisville flies under the radar because most of the people commenting on it have never been there, or only drove by the city on I-65. Indianapolis is not as urban as Louisville or Cincinnati.
EXACTLY! Most people judging Louisville are judging it from I-65. Louisville doesn't shine until you get to the urban, one way, neighborhood streets and you discover awesome tucked away hipster spots like Monnik or Lydia House, or you see the amazing architecture lining very urban parks.

Also, I never said Louisville had as much culture as New Orleans. I did say that only New Orleans can compare to the amount of hip neighborhoods in Louisville for its size.
Chew on this and I keep harping on it because it hits my point: Indy had 27.2 million tourists in 2015
Louisville had 24 million. Louisville had substantially more per capita tourists and that's with a dated convention center about to close and obviously not enough hotels! None of you consider that BOURBON is Louisville's trump card. Bourbon has boomed in the last 5 years and it won't stop. Louisville has had at least a half dozen tourist attractions open downtown in the last 3 years that are bourbon related. What has Indy gained outside apartments?

Listen, where in Indy are there literal multiple little walkable, urban corridors popping up with really cool shops and restaurants? Am I missing something? Mass Ave is really the only part that feels solidly urban like you'd see in Cinncinnati and on a smaller, scale, in Louisville. But even Mass Ave is basically downtown and is no better than Nulu and PALES compared to Over the Rhine. Please don't say Broad Ripple because we have all agreed that is simply average. Outside its pretty good nightlife, I am not even sure its more walkable or urban than New Albany, IN which is also much closer to the urban core!

Places like Germantown in Louisville and Over the Rhine in Cincinnati....these are dense, NINETEENTH century neighborhoods that have rejuvenated in the last 10 years. Indy simply does not have these neighborhoods and never did. That's not Indy's fault; it wasn't a really big city until around 1920. Arguably, Louisville and Indianapolis were the same size when both had ABA basketball teams (Colonels and Pacers) as their only pro sports.

Kudos to Indy for its white collar growth and forward thinking. Indy was probably the first Midwest downtown to fully rejuvenate outside Chicago which never died. Even though I think the Circle Center Mall has declined big time recently, it still has the most livable downtown as far as having every single thing a person would need on a day to day basis. Other than that, Indy leaves a TON to be desired for an urbanite.

That's why Cinncinnati (and Louisville) are considered hip cities and Indy is not. If I am wrong about Indy, someone please educate me? Where can I find a hip area that sprang from nothing to something in the last 3 years and is full of hipsters like Goss Ave in Louisville or Vine St in Cincinnati? I need someone to show me a street that looked like crap 5 years ago but now has a dozen or more businesses frequented by the young and educated.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:24 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
EXACTLY! Most people judging Louisville are judging it from I-65. Louisville doesn't shine until you get to the urban, one way, neighborhood streets and you discover awesome tucked away hipster spots like Monnik or Lydia House, or you see the amazing architecture lining very urban parks.

Also, I never said Louisville had as much culture as New Orleans. I did say that only New Orleans can compare to the amount of hip neighborhoods in Louisville for its size.
Chew on this and I keep harping on it because it hits my point: Indy had 27.2 million tourists in 2015
Louisville had 24 million. Louisville had substantially more per capita tourists and that's with a dated convention center about to close and obviously not enough hotels! None of you consider that BOURBON is Louisville's trump card. Bourbon has boomed in the last 5 years and it won't stop. Louisville has had at least a half dozen tourist attractions open downtown in the last 3 years that are bourbon related. What has Indy gained outside apartments?

Listen, where in Indy are there literal multiple little walkable, urban corridors popping up with really cool shops and restaurants? Am I missing something? Mass Ave is really the only part that feels solidly urban like you'd see in Cinncinnati and on a smaller, scale, in Louisville. But even Mass Ave is basically downtown and is no better than Nulu and PALES compared to Over the Rhine. Please don't say Broad Ripple because we have all agreed that is simply average. Outside its pretty good nightlife, I am not even sure its more walkable or urban than New Albany, IN which is also much closer to the urban core!

Places like Germantown in Louisville and Over the Rhine in Cincinnati....these are dense, NINETEENTH century neighborhoods that have rejuvenated in the last 10 years. Indy simply does not have these neighborhoods and never did. That's not Indy's fault; it wasn't a really big city until around 1920. Arguably, Louisville and Indianapolis were the same size when both had ABA basketball teams (Colonels and Pacers) as their only pro sports.

Kudos to Indy for its white collar growth and forward thinking. Indy was probably the first Midwest downtown to fully rejuvenate outside Chicago which never died. Even though I think the Circle Center Mall has declined big time recently, it still has the most livable downtown as far as having every single thing a person would need on a day to day basis. Other than that, Indy leaves a TON to be desired for an urbanite.

That's why Cinncinnati (and Louisville) are considered hip cities and Indy is not. If I am wrong about Indy, someone please educate me? Where can I find a hip area that sprang from nothing to something in the last 3 years and is full of hipsters like Goss Ave in Louisville or Vine St in Cincinnati? I need someone to show me a street that looked like crap 5 years ago but now has a dozen or more businesses frequented by the young and educated.
This post is absolutely hilarious. Is hip the best you can come up with? What exactly is hip?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:12 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
This post is absolutely hilarious. Is hip the best you can come up with? What exactly is hip?
Name an Indianapolis street that had not much on it 2 years ago and now has a dozen or so establishments that cater to hipsters. While you are trying to buy time for an answer, Goss Ave landed another business announced today. These announcements come every week for neighborhoods not even in the top 5 in the city! That's how "deep" Louisville's urban scene goes. Cincinnati is that way and in some regards, even more so due to the size and scope of redevelopment in Northern KY.

El Camino finds new home on Goss Avenue - Insider Louisville

face it, indianapolis has strengths and it's a fine city, but its not impressive to an urbanist or those interested in art, architecture, and culture. Indy is especially exposed compared to Cincinnati, and even Louisville which is a smaller MSA

Heck, when I lived in Indy there were plenty that preferred Bloomington for its hip and younger culture and great restaurants and bars, and even a few arts.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Name an Indianapolis street that had not much on it 2 years ago and now has a dozen or so establishments that cater to hipsters. While you are trying to buy time for an answer, Goss Ave landed another business announced today. These announcements come every week for neighborhoods not even in the top 5 in the city! That's how "deep" Louisville's urban scene goes. Cincinnati is that way and in some regards, even more so due to the size and scope of redevelopment in Northern KY.

El Camino finds new home on Goss Avenue - Insider Louisville

face it, indianapolis has strengths and it's a fine city, but its not impressive to an urbanist or those interested in art, architecture, and culture. Indy is especially exposed compared to Cincinnati, and even Louisville which is a smaller MSA

Heck, when I lived in Indy there were plenty that preferred Bloomington for its hip and younger culture and great restaurants and bars, and even a few arts.
Your scope is very narrow. Let's face it, despite all the praises you lavish on Louisville, it isn't the destination city you claim it to be. Instead of me posting an article from some bias Indianapolis city rag, I'll just posted an article from Travel & Leisure. Guess who is listed and who isn't?

The Best Places to Travel in 2017 | Travel + Leisure

Old 02-03-2017, 04:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
At least you guys brought the topic (partially) back to the Title, with Louisville riding in sidecar. So how does Louisville get inserted to so many threads on C-D? Geesh, I think about that place once a year in May, and that's just about it. I travel there some on business. Nice, but does not warrant being inserted in all these threads on C-D.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:53 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
Your scope is very narrow. Let's face it, despite all the praises you lavish on Louisville, it isn't the destination city you claim it to be. Instead of me posting an article from some bias Indianapolis city rag, I'll just posted an article from Travel & Leisure. Guess who is listed and who isn't?

The Best Places to Travel in 2017 | Travel + Leisure

Ehhh, I'm as far from a Louisville booster as you can possible be but you do realize that lists such as these are extremely arbitrary, right ? They try to sprinkle many places that one would not ordinarily think of as destinations to make their lists seem somewhat unique.

Example - some town called Devon in England is on the list. Places that aren't on the list - London, HongKong, Madrid, Paris, New York.

Does this mean that Devon and Indy are better/more popular of destinations than any of these places I just mentioned ?

Old 02-04-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Ehhh, I'm as far from a Louisville booster as you can possible be but you do realize that lists such as these are extremely arbitrary, right ? They try to sprinkle many places that one would not ordinarily think of as destinations to make their lists seem somewhat unique.

Example - some town called Devon in England is on the list. Places that aren't on the list - London, HongKong, Madrid, Paris, New York.

Does this mean that Devon and Indy are better/more popular of destinations than any of these places I just mentioned ?
But it also lists Montreal, Oslo, Belfast, Nashville, Philadelphia, Bermuda, Honolulu, Jerusalem, Rotterdam and others. Listing Paris, New York and London would be no brainers wouldn't you think?. At least it is a list from an independent source ... not a linked booster article.

Here is their domestic travel cities. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this one as well.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/amer...s/cities#intro

Last edited by Dyadic; 02-04-2017 at 12:18 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 PM

918 posts, read 1,696,512 times
Quote:
But it also lists Montreal, Oslo, Belfast, Nashville, Philadelphia, Bermuda, Honolulu, Jerusalem, Rotterdam and others. Listing Paris, New York and London would be no brainers wouldn't you think?. At least it is a list from an independent source ... not a linked booster article.

Here is their domestic travel cities. I'm sure you'll get a kick out of this one as well.

America
Domestic one makes a little more sense even though I'm having a difficult time picturing Buffalo as the #1 favorite destination

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the obvious draws aren't listed because they're no brainers. Everyone's heard of the obvious options so lists such as these want to draw the reader to a few things that are off the beaten path, so to speak - which I think can be really useful to lots of us, but it's a poor way to judge the overall popularity of a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City