Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 12:44 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times

Advertisements

Similar cities with a similar population. Which city is better overall?

Future
Amenities
Infrastructure
Education
Economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2022, 07:13 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Going to subscribe to this thread, out of curosity myself. I've visited Lynchburg a bunch of times(and even have relatives there), but have never visited Macon myself.

Macon is one of those places I wouldn't mind doing an actual visit to one day, but hadn't been there myself. Other than a very limited amount, of street viewing Macon for myself. I know Macon has Mercer University, and Lynchburg has Randolph-Macon(erm, now just Randolph) College.

I get this weird sense Lynchburg will probably win most if not all categories, since it's growing a little faster and doing a little better population and economy-wise. At least per checking the C-D profiles, of both cities and comparing data. But who knows.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:34 AM

2,597 posts, read 4,660,594 times
Default Boredatwork

Lynchburg due to its proximity to Massanutten. I've been to Macon as I have family in the Montezuma but I didn't see too much there except Walmart and an empty mall with 5 ppl in it.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:51 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
TBH neither are my favorite places. Neither of them have a good reputation either. Probably Lynchburg in part due to location.

Old 09-23-2022, 08:26 AM

509 posts, read 433,825 times
I am probably biased in my response as I live in downtown Lynchburg (I also grew up in Savannah so have been to Macon a few times, but honestly the last time was back in 2002).

Going to go with Lynchburg in all categories except infrastructure. Lynchburg's historic growth rate far outpaces that of Macon and has a brighter future IMO. From 2010 - 2020 downtown Macon grew by about 20% in residential population, but downtown Lynchburg grew by a robust 120% over the same period (see this interactive map for development in downtown Lynchburg over the past decade: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/ed...nY&usp=sharing). Both the City of Lynchburg and Metro Area has had far more robust growth than Macon and a more varied economy based on higher education, manufacturing, health care, finance, and nuclear operations sector.

Lynchburg also has closer proximity to better natural amenities like the Appalachian Trail and Blue Ridge Parkway and state parks which gives it a leg up if you are into hiking and outdoor recreation. The City of Lynchburg also has a fantastic multi-use trail network radiating out of downtown that the city is investing serious money in and expanding. Many new businesses and amenities in downtown Lynchburg have been created in the last 10 years and lots of money being invested into revamping the mall. There are also big plans to redevelop the old Central Virginia Training Center across the river from downtown Lynchburg (located at 37.413, -79.119) into a major mixed-use development sort of like a Short Pump light that will also be accessible by bicycle and foot from downtown via the James River Heritage Trail. While Lynchburg may lack interstate access and its airport is smaller than that of Macon, it is on the highly used Northeast Regional Amtrak line and is only a few hours away from DC by rail.

Lynchburg also has the youngest median age of any city in Virginia with over 50,000 people due to the fact that there are five universities and colleges in the city limits. Crime is also significantly lower than Macon (the violent and total crime rate in Macon is about twice as high as Lynchburg) and Lynchburg's neighborhoods seemingly more intact and less impacted by blight and white flight. I do think Macon has a lot of potential from what I remember with a great intact downtown core and nice historic neighborhoods surrounding it, but don't see it matching Lynchburg for quality of life, growth, and education anytime soon.

Last edited by dbcook1; 09-23-2022 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-23-2022, 09:37 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Lynchburg due to its proximity to Massanutten. I've been to Macon as I have family in the Montezuma but I didn't see too much there except Walmart and an empty mall with 5 ppl in it.
Macon close to atlanta

Old 09-24-2022, 06:17 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,956,558 times
Macon is just 75 minutes up I-75 to downtown ATL without traffic, which is certainly close enough for most to make a day trip for the big city fix. Lynchburg is a little over two to Richmond, which for many wouldn't be appealing enough to make a daytrip except for a few occasions, since Richmond, although denser in its core, lacks the "big city' amenities that Atlanta has to offer, like major league sports, a major airport, high-end shopping, entertainment, and fine dining. Lynchburg does have a better balance of seasons with occasional snow and slightly shorter summers, and is a little more progressive due to its younger population and higher university presence. I'd just live on the northern outskirts of Macon if I had a choice (around The Shoppes at River Crossing to be specific), since I'd imagine that crime wouldn't be as bad as living towards the core, and I could still WFH for part-time commuting to Atlanta. without that long of a drive.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:23 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Going to subscribe to this thread, out of curosity myself. I've visited Lynchburg a bunch of times(and even have relatives there), but have never visited Macon myself.

Macon is one of those places I wouldn't mind doing an actual visit to one day, but hadn't been there myself. Other than a very limited amount, of street viewing Macon for myself. I know Macon has Mercer University, and Lynchburg has Randolph-Macon(erm, now just Randolph) College.

I get this weird sense Lynchburg will probably win most if not all categories, since it's growing a little faster and doing a little better population and economy-wise. At least per checking the C-D profiles, of both cities and comparing data. But who knows.
Randolph Macon College retains the same name and is in Ashland VA, just north of Richmond. Lynchburg is home to Liberty University which is an evangelical school founded by Jerry Falwell. Many would find that a reason perhaps to favor Macon.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:53 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Lynchburg also has a tiny HBCU in Virginia University-Lynchburg and University of Lynchburg in the city.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:59 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,380,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Randolph Macon College retains the same name and is in Ashland VA, just north of Richmond. Lynchburg is home to Liberty University which is an evangelical school founded by Jerry Falwell. Many would find that a reason perhaps to favor Macon.
I'm aware of Liberty bring in Lynchburg. Though to me I consider Liberty to be a joke college/University, since it's evangelical Christian. Hence, why I didn't mention them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City