Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Denver still desirable without mountains?
Yes. Denver itself is still great and up there with the likes of cool cities (Portland, Minneapolis, Austin, etc.) 39 25.00%
No. Without the Colorado nature attractions, Denver itself is quite average and unspectacular, and comparable to other midwest cities 117 75.00%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
To a small degree I'm with you, but I think you're over-analyzing. The mountains do add their Denver's grandeur, but not to the degree you'e suggesting; neither does legal weed and "progressive" politics, lol. Some of the most crime ridden, expensive, lowest home ownership rates, homelessness rates, areas have been politically "progressive" (ie liberal leadership) for decades. Too, if what you're saying is true, there would be more of a pattern nationally with other fast-growing areas in terms of mountains. Again, the mountains add, but isn't the big deal-breaker you're suggesting it is. Just my opinion
Yes, but those "crime ridden, expensive, lowest home ownership rates, homelessness rates, etc" areas are mostly expensive because they are desirable, those social malignancies notwithstanding. SF is the poster child of everything you described but it's still a "desirable" place, or at least desirable enough to push the housing prices through the roof. Some may call the housing market there a stick up without a gun, but the fact remains that nobody is holding a gun to peoples' heads and telling them they have to chalk up $1m for a ****ty condo with no amenities.

That being said, I did state before that I think Denver's location within the US gives it an extra bump as it makes it a regional capital of sorts. In this regard Denver gets full credit for beating other cities who might have competed for that title. The Rockies, however, make it a very nice region to be a capital of, as opposed to a more mundane place such as the Great Plains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,219,180 times
I said yes because I like the city--culture, vegetation, weather, neighborhoods, etc. But on the other hand I don't think it's all that much better than some of the midwestern cities. It reminds me a bit of the Twin Cities and Kansas City.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I never said that it offered nothing, just that Denver feels a little isolated and exposed to us, and it just never felt like "home."
Perhaps the "home" part is the best reason for living somewhere long term.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:49 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
If the mountains were suddenly removed and you had the current metro left, I think it would still be a desirable area. A better question would be "Would Denver have become such a desirable place if the mountains were never there to begin with?"

Old 12-13-2016, 03:37 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,825 times
There's a lot going on in Denver when you take away the mountains if you ask me. I'm new and have barely gone up since I moved, mainly because I like being a homebody on the weekends. I like snowboarding but not into the whole rock climbing / camping thing.

I could see it being compared to Minneapolis in some respects (although the people are better in CO), but imagine if you took the lakes away from MSP? There would be nothing.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM

80 posts, read 96,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
There's a lot going on in Denver when you take away the mountains if you ask me. I'm new and have barely gone up since I moved, mainly because I like being a homebody on the weekends. I like snowboarding but not into the whole rock climbing / camping thing.

I could see it being compared to Minneapolis in some respects (although the people are better in CO), but imagine if you took the lakes away from MSP? There would be nothing.
While the lakes definitely help, I think Minneapolis has a lot else to offer, possibly more than Denver.

I'd be interested to hear from you and others about specific things in Denver that make it attractive and enjoyable without the mountains. Only been to Colorado Springs and national parks myself, so don't know much about Denver personally. Also, how does it compare in specific areas to similarly sized cities like Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Saint Louis.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
While the lakes definitely help, I think Minneapolis has a lot else to offer, possibly more than Denver.

I'd be interested to hear from you and others about specific things in Denver that make it attractive and enjoyable without the mountains. Only been to Colorado Springs and national parks myself, so don't know much about Denver personally. Also, how does it compare in specific areas to similarly sized cities like Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Saint Louis.
Really? I've been up there enough times to know that Minneapolis is a clean city but it's also VERY cold and if you aren't into ice skating, hockey, or ice fishing in the winter I'd imagine you'd be pretty disappointed.

Denver itself is certainly great for bars, biking, parks, etc. The usual findings plus a lot of festivals and events that seem to be on every weekend. Denver is more geared up for tourism whereas Minneapolis I just don't think is very warm to outsiders.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:23 PM

80 posts, read 96,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Really? I've been up there enough times to know that Minneapolis is a clean city but it's also VERY cold and if you aren't into ice skating, hockey, or ice fishing in the winter I'd imagine you'd be pretty disappointed.

Denver itself is certainly great for bars, biking, parks, etc. The usual findings plus a lot of festivals and events that seem to be on every weekend. Denver is more geared up for tourism whereas Minneapolis I just don't think is very warm to outsiders.
You've missed out on a lot more, but let's focus on Denver.

Good to hear Denver has so many festivals and events. Those definitely do a lot to make cities vibrant. I'd be curious to hear of any in particular that are most unique to Denver and it's culture/history or set it apart.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Good to hear Denver has so many festivals and events. Those definitely do a lot to make cities vibrant. I'd be curious to hear of any in particular that are most unique to Denver and it's culture/history or set it apart.
Google is your friend. Denver Colorado Vacations & Conventions | Visit Denver

Both cities are pretty white - I'm not sure if either city as enough in the "culture/history" department out of the gate compared to say Los Angeles.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,103,007 times
Quote:

Having lived in Minneapolis for over 21 years I can attest the two cities are far more similar than they are different. I agree with the previous poster, if you take away the lakes and parkway system from Minneapolis, you'd have a close scenario.

Is Denver still desirable without the Mountains? If you're an urbanite then sure, but certainly not to me.
Like many who move the front range, Denver to me serves only as a base camp, and the city itself is secondary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City