Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:26 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I don't disagree with what youre saying on paper. However, difference in lifestyle don't give differences in cost a free pass. You can find lots of new construction houses in the Chicago area. You can find literally millions of single family style homes in Chicago similar to what you see in Houston. The cost is still far higher in Chicago for those homes.
Provide some examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:12 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Id choose Houston

Old 01-03-2017, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
What's the point of this thread if there's nothing to guide the opinions provided? There are several threads that hit on everyone else's preferences (welcome to CvC). These are very different cities.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Currently live in Miami. Hate it here. People are terrible, traffic, racism, etc.

Orginally from Michigan and lived in DC previously. I'm in my early 20s, married, and have kids. I need somewhere that would be good for jobs, I'm a bartender, and would be a good place to raise kids and that's not Miami expensive because its too stressful. I don't have a preference really about the weather.
All cities have these so just stay put.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
What's the point of this thread if there's nothing to guide the opinions provided? There are several threads that hit on everyone else's preferences (welcome to CvC). These are very different cities.
Very different cities in a few ways. One city was already building a 1/3 of the city very early in the 20th century to WW2. Brick bungalows with front lawns and yards, back alleys a full sized garbage truck can get down and garages accessed and Electrical Poles strung down the alley. 2-3 flat housing and apartment buildings also got built. Then the 40s 50s had mid-century styles built into the early 60s. The city was then fully built out to its suburbs then.

Houston major boom started after WW2 and 50s through today still. The city is still not all built out. But the cities each show what planning, zoning, uniform requirements and guidelines in building in Chicago and the city did its part in full sidewalks and streets with curbing and drains. Houston having no zoning and lax guidelines if any early. Had its ranch styles to LA style bungalows. But street construction was a bit 3rd world in the past with many having no curbing or sidwalks many times with ditch type drainage for rain water. I've seen New denser infill with still the ditch system left. Though developers add sidewalks at least. On slabs construction is still how Houston builds. Unlike full basements in most I'd the northern cities.

These are aspects of how these cities built had made in choices. Downtowns differ greatly on street-levels of these cities cores. Clearly one has is much more life on its streets.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The COL is a wash these days.

OP, as someone else asked, would you consider other work? Does your SO work? Any idea what budget you're working with?
Not true, the COL is 17& higher in Chicago (per Numbeo) and the average incomes in Houston are higher. The average person is financially much better off in Houston than Chicago.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Right, but cost of living is about the same. The normal lifestyle is pretty different for the average person living in either of these cities. A smaller more charming house in Chicago that would allow you to be a one car family due to transit which you couldn't do in most of houston. The Houston houses are bigger, but the average cost of living in these two cities is similar, the lifestyle is the difference.
Exactly, Houston has a much better bang for buck for housing. Goods, services, and the overall tax burden is much lower.

Meanwhile median take home pays are similar in botbh cities. So the dollar goes much farther in Houston. Houston is also much safer too. It is no wonder Houston is taking over as the third city.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not true, the COL is 17& higher in Chicago (per Numbeo) and the average incomes in Houston are higher. The average person is financially much better off in Houston than Chicago.
If you're renting in Chicago's Lincoln Park, Bucktown, the Loop, wherever, yes, rent is higher, but Houston isn't far behind these days. ESPECIALLY in the inner Loop. Housing is literally the determining call in COL. Milk isn't $6 in Chicago and $2 in Houston. The two have near identical median housing costs. Average income is misleading. There are high earners and low ones. I'm not even sure Houston's average income is higher. I'd have to fact check. It's much more practical to look at MEDIAN INCOME, which is higher in Chicago.

My personal experience is Chicago's rental costs are actually out of sync with housing costs. I purchased a house and my monthly MORTGAGE PAYMENT is the same as my rent was further out. I could actually rent my place out for $300-$400 more than I pay for my mortgage.

Last edited by IrishIllini; 01-03-2017 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly, Houston has a much better bang for buck for housing. Goods, services, and the overall tax burden is much lower.

Meanwhile median take home pays are similar in botbh cities. So the dollar goes much farther in Houston. Houston is also much safer too. It is no wonder Houston is taking over as the third city.
LOL, let's pretend your right. With that logic everyone should get out of LA and into Houston. You throw around the term inferiority complex quite a bit, but I haven't seen anyone as triggered by Chicago as you for a while...

Old 01-03-2017, 04:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
LOL, let's pretend your right. With that logic everyone should get out of LA and into Houston. You throw around the term inferiority complex quite a bit, but I haven't seen anyone as triggered by Chicago as you for a while...
Aren't you the same person who hyped up Chicago because it's more affordable than LA?

Now, when people point out Houston America's new 3rd City is more affordable than Chicago, you are up in arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City