Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 AM

367 posts, read 997,073 times

Advertisements

Here you have two heavily underrated and amongst the most beat up on cities on city data. Among my two personal favorite cities,What do these cities have to do to turn themselves around. Unlike a lot of other cities two actually have a chance at a comeback they are large enough have sports teams, have "great bones"/infrastructure, and growing metros

Frequent comments about Memphis on city data
-its Behind,
-its no Nashville
-More like Mississippi
-Etc

Frequent comments about St Louis
-Crime
-It's ghetto
-It's a has been city
ETC

WHAT DO THESE TWO CITIES HAVE TO DO TO STOP GETTING SO MUCH DISRESPECT ON CITY DATA?
WHAT WOULD MAKE THESE CITIES "PROGRESSIVE"

Positive suggestions please,...you never know a Mayor or member of City Council may read these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Here you have two heavily underrated and amongst the most beat up on cities on city data. Among my two personal favorite cities,What do these cities have to do to turn themselves around. Unlike a lot of other cities two actually have a chance at a comeback they are large enough have sports teams, have "great bones"/infrastructure, and growing metros

-its Behind,
-its no Nashville
-More like Mississippi
-Etc

-Crime
-It's ghetto
-It's a has been city
ETC

WHAT DO THESE TWO CITIES HAVE TO DO TO STOP GETTING SO MUCH DISRESPECT ON CITY DATA?

Positive suggestions please,...you never know a Mayor or member of City Council may read these
Crime is the serious problem with memphis. Its need some gentrification fast in the ghettos. I've been to the ghetto parts of town and even as an african american male, I was scared out of my mind. Downtown needs to become a happening place. More of a place to live. The entire city feels and looks dirty, it needs to brighten up it's image. Memphis has Great food, Music, and culture, it needs to focus on that and move in the 21st Century.

Stage 1. Clean up the crime ridden neighborhoods
Stage 2. Improve education in public Schools
Stage 3. Invest into Downtown, Condos, Night clubs, Shopping, just make it a great place to be no matter what time of day
Stage 4. Rebrand it's self. Make it a true tourist destination.
Stage 5. Preserve history and culture, Restore historical buildings, Clean up streets, and make it a creative city for young people to be.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,666 times
Memphis is already a creative city for young people, but it's also everything else you've mentioned. I think it's one of America's great underdog towns, just bursting with great food, great art and incredible history. Unfortunately, it seems like every single person in town, regardless of where they sit on the ladder, has given up. I just saw a thread here earlier where someone was in Memphis and a cop told him/her not to go downtown after dark. I've had similar experiences in Memphis, walking around with people from the area and having cops tell us it wasn't safe for us to be out walking, even though it was no worse than areas I frequent in Milwaukee/Detroit/Chicago - it seems like the idea of a gritty and dangerous Memphis has been institutionalized.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 PM

320 posts, read 578,665 times
Quote:

-its Behind,
-its no Nashville
-More like Mississippi
-Etc

-Crime
-It's ghetto
-It's a has been city
ETC

Memphis IS progressive compared to my hometown Little Rock. Both cities are still magnets for tourists.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,384 times
Memphis and St. Louis may share some similarities, but St. Louis has a lot more going for it and is a lot bigger.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,773,906 times
Quote:

Reduce freedom, massively increase taxes and regulation, and you will be like progressive Detroit.

Memphis needs to become less progressive and more liberal/libertarian. The public housing ruins Memphis. You need less of that, not more.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,170,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
Memphis and St. Louis may share some similarities, but St. Louis has a lot more going for it and is a lot bigger.
I agree that it's bigger, but disagree that it has more going for it in general.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,659,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
I agree that it's bigger, but disagree that it has more going for it in general.
St. Louis has a much larger and more diverse economy, is a much bigger and more diverse media market, is a hub for acedemia, healthcare, biotech, major league sports, transportation, etc. Much more going for it IMO.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
I agree St. Louis has much more going for it that Memphis. However, with both I would say:

-There needs to be an effort to reduce crime (especially in Memphis)
-The population needs to diversify. Niether city (or metro area) is what I would call diverse.
-Market themselves better. They need to push reasons for people to visit them.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:49 PM

367 posts, read 997,073 times
What does Memphis have to do to make you wanna move there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City