Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which west coast city is the LEAST overpriced for what it offers?
Seattle 13 13.98%
Portland 23 24.73%
Los Angeles 38 40.86%
San Diego 19 20.43%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 AM

345 posts, read 810,335 times

Advertisements

Considering the cost of living for each (which are all obviously very high), which gives you more and is least overpriced in terms of:

quality of life
nightlife
scenery
daytime activities/events
shopping/entertainment venues
overall vibe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:27 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
LA by far.

Portland is okay.

SD and Seattle are priced like large metros, while offering weak mid sized metro amenities.

SD can't even keep basketball and football teams. They are lame.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM

45 posts, read 53,545 times
This is a hard choice, since all of them are similarly overpriced to me.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Seattle is on par if not cheaper than LA, but is packed with high paying jobs. Plenty of super walkable neighborhoods full of independent restaurants, bars, cafes, and it's fairly easy to live car-free in this city. LA has many more places to go visit, but I think a number of factors edge Seattle above it in terms of the quality of life / career opportunities. However, LA has the more diverse job market so it's important to consider that if you happen to not work within the medical or tech field. In terms of vibe, it's a booming city and it's always exciting to live in a place that feels like it's just blowing up in growth.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:51 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Seattle is on par if not cheaper than LA, but is packed with high paying jobs. Plenty of super walkable neighborhoods full of independent restaurants, bars, cafes, and it's fairly easy to live car-free in this city. LA has many more places to go visit, but I think a number of factors edge Seattle above it in terms of the quality of life / career opportunities. However, LA has the more diverse job market so it's important to consider that if you happen to not work within the medical or tech field. In terms of vibe, it's a booming city and it's always exciting to live in a place that feels like it's just blowing up in growth.
LOL

Seattle lacks big city amenities found in LA.

Heavy rail, entertainment, nightlife, museums, etc.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
LA, easily. Los Angeles offers so much more than these other cities and isn't that much more expensive.

Edited to add: I don't think any of our top tier cities are overpriced. New York, LA and Chicago all offer terrific value. It's the 2nd tier where cities start getting overpriced: DC, Boston, San Francisco and Seattle (although Seattle is probably at the top of the third tier).

Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
All are overpriced without good reason. I'll say Seattle, because it's overpriced but does offer a lot.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:40 PM

345 posts, read 810,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
LA, easily. Los Angeles offers so much more than these other cities and isn't that much more expensive.

Edited to add: I don't think any of our top tier cities are overpriced. New York, LA and Chicago all offer terrific value. It's the 2nd tier where cities start getting overpriced: DC, Boston, San Francisco and Seattle (although Seattle is probably at the top of the third tier).
not sure i agree with new york. depends i suppose if you're in manhattan or nearby. agree on chicago but i still think LA and basically all california cities are considered overpriced now

Old 01-19-2017, 12:46 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
the city of LA is huge -- 503 square miles -- its alittle unfair to compare it with a tiny city like, say Portland.

( that traffic is so epic-ly bad, thats a huge demotion in quality of life, for me-- for example I have lived in SF but worked graveyard shift-- the traffic there was manageable by avoiding commuting hours and not driving- you can't really do that in LA..)

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-19-2017 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
LOL

Seattle lacks big city amenities found in LA.

Heavy rail, entertainment, nightlife, museums, etc.
So Seattle has no museums, nightlife, or any entertainment options?

Seattle has heavy rail and rapidly expanding it's light rail options. It's a great music city with alot of independent artist and small venues from alternative, rock, hip-hop, and edm. Of-course LA has more because LA is alot larger. Everything is also much more spread out an LA. There is alot of options in Seattle but ofcourse it's not a city of 4 Million people so it will never have LA options. Amount of options in the area doesn't exactly make it worth it to me. I do believe all these cities are overpriced but in Seattle, it offers alot in small area including access to the great recreation around the area. Seattle and Portland are the most worth it. San Diego is 3rd for me because it's probably the cheapest of the bunch. San Francisco is the least simply because COL is extremely over priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City