Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Overall Suburbs
Atlanta 11 8.15%
Boston 14 10.37%
Chicago 16 11.85%
Dallas 14 10.37%
Denver 5 3.70%
Minneapolis 5 3.70%
Philadelphia 25 18.52%
San Fransico 16 11.85%
Seattle 7 5.19%
Washington, DC 22 16.30%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 AM

5,987 posts, read 8,967,301 times

Advertisements

Which of these cities has the better overall suburbs and outskirts? You can define suburbs however you'd like, but I typically refer to them as communities that have developed outside of the core city's jurisdiction. They could consist of both incorporated or unincorporated towns/villages/cities/etc...

Atlanta
Washington, DC
Dallas
Chicago
Denver
San Francisco
Philadelphia
Orlando
Minneapolis
Seattle

Also, here is come criteria you can base your opinions on.

Access to core city/downtown
Infrastructure/transportation
Residential
Retail
Dining
Recreation
Scenery
Landscaping
Education
Architecture
Planning/zoning
Economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 09:22 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,518,278 times
if cambridge/somerville/... are suburbs then its obviously boston.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
if cambridge/somerville/... are suburbs then its obviously boston.
I don't know how "obvioius" that is, but Boston does have some nice suburbs. My vote is Washington.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,214,349 times
Houston should be on here. I have no interest in living in a suburb, but I have to admit that the Woodlands and Kingswood are really nice.

Im not sure if the OP would consider Highland Park or University Park "Suburbs" since they are totally surrounded by Dallas proper, but they are about as nice as "suburban" development can get in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Houston should be on here. I have no interest in living in a suburb, but I have to admit that the Woodlands and Kingswood are really nice.

Im not sure if the OP would consider Highland Park or University Park "Suburbs" since they are totally surrounded by Dallas proper, but they are about as nice as "suburban" development can get in my opinion.
According to the definition that I gave, then they couldn't be considered suburbs. But that is only my opinion. Clearly every part of a city doesn't have to be "urban".

Old 04-08-2017, 12:46 PM

491 posts, read 468,460 times
Cities in Texas, like Houston do have huge suburbs. I like that Atlanta and Washington, DC have the beltways to connect the suburbs. Denver is also a nice city built around suburbs. Orlando is nice, but has lots of toll roads connecting the suburbs. Some people might like that. Orlando has more restaurants and chain stores than usual because of the tourism that it has. It's not as luxurious as it could be, though.

I feel like they're all good. Chicago and San Francisco shouldn't really be on here, since they're much bigger cities and you can't really compare them. I mean, you might as well put in Los Angeles and New York City as well. New York City has huge suburbs. Just Long Island alone, is about 3 million people. That's a huge mega suburb the size of most cities in the United States. After all Long Island, was the site of the very first mass-produced suburb, with Levittown being the first archetype of the suburb. I would say Long Island is the biggest and largest stretch of suburbs, with some of the wealthiest homes in the country. And that's only a portion of the New York City suburbs, since New York City has more suburbs in Westchester county, Connecticut and all of northern New Jersey. Long Island is so big, that most people in Long Island don't even go to the city that much, so it doesn't really serve as a commuter place, although it still is well connected to the city by mass transit (with Long Island Railroad) and many expressways that lead to the city. It's also weird, because people Long Island are willing to travel an hour or more just to go to the city, which tells you how some people's concept of a travel is so different when you live in these areas. Long Island has the advantage of being able to be in the biggest city in America within an hour, but at the same time living the suburban life for most of the time. It also has arguably the best public schools in the country, with the top Ivy League schools literally advertising on the boards of all guidance counselors office in a way other school districts do not. It's not free, though. Property taxes are probably one of the highest in the nation.

I feel like most cities have suburbs. It's hard to quantify which is the best. Most of the best suburbs, don't even have easy access to the major city, like Miami's suburbs, which is like a hundred miles long and sprawls along the beach.

Last edited by clearlevel; 04-08-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-08-2017, 12:49 PM

I just realized that I added Boston on the poll instead of Orlando. Sorry for the confusion

Old 04-08-2017, 04:42 PM

2,830 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Not sure but Washington DC, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston has some nice suburbs. Never been to Boston but heard the suburbs there was nice as well.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:13 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
DC ( particularly NOVA) or Atlanta for suburbs

Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,238,746 times
I like the Dallas area suburbs the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City