Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2017, 09:46 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
A much more accurate headline would turn the phrase around and say "New York and San Francisco turn their back on Millenials" since extreme cost of living have made these place practically impossible for just about every hard charging Millenial (other than one with extreme wealth already in place most likely due to being born into the plutocratic elite) to get even their foot in the door, with even a modest lifestyle.
Pretty much this. Many of the things which made those cities so attractive culturally are being lost, due to artists, immigrants, etc being pushed out. It will just be office jockeys going from Starbucks to fusion restaurant to wine bar, rinse and repeat, while regular people either live five to a room, commute an hour or more to their ****ty job, or live somewhere more practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 09:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
I realize the headline (as they often are) was written to be an attention grabber, but it bugs me by implying that Millenials have snubbed NYC and SF due to believing they are inferior.

A much more accurate headline would turn the phrase around and say "New York and San Francisco turn their back on Millenials" since extreme cost of living have made these place practically impossible for just about every hard charging Millenial (other than one with extreme wealth already in place most likely due to being born into the plutocratic elite) to get even their foot in the door, with even a modest lifestyle.
The original headline is best. Millennials have made the choice to locate to smaller more affordable cities. New York and San Francisco keep going no matter how expensive it is to live there. It is similar to cities with high crime and no job market, young people tend to shy away from them.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:59 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
They're not making a conscious choice to shy away from NYC and SF.

NYC and SF have more competition now. Austin/Denver/Seattle/Atlanta etc. haven't always been destination cities for young people like they are now.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:30 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The original headline is best. Millennials have made the choice to locate to smaller more affordable cities. New York and San Francisco keep going no matter how expensive it is to live there. It is similar to cities with high crime and no job market, young people tend to shy away from them.
Except young people actually do desire to live in NYC and SF and if the right opportunity comes along, they will make that move (and many do it even without the right opportunity). That's simply not the same as cities with high crime and no job market which are flat-out undesirable under nearly all circumstances.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:25 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except young people actually do desire to live in NYC and SF and if the right opportunity comes along, they will make that move (and many do it even without the right opportunity). That's simply not the same as cities with high crime and no job market which are flat-out undesirable under nearly all circumstances.
They still come to nola and our job market is abysmal at best. But they usually are the type to work in hospitality and move on in a few years.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
They still come to nola and our job market is abysmal at best. But they usually are the type to work in hospitality and move on in a few years.
Well NOLA is an exception obviously.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:36 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Agreed.

Other than top 5%ers and the subsidized poor, that large in-between can't afford to live in these cities and must move on.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If the right opportunity comes along is the operative phrase. And even if it doesn't, the young people that do take the risk, do so despite how expensive it is to live there. They are there for other reasons versus the older generations of sharks who have to have the picket fence and lots of money, or in this case fancy condo. Many young people don't require the glory and the fame, they just want people to respect their craft...whatever that is. This millennial and much of my friends have chosen to stay in smaller, less expensive cities, but visit the big ones on occasion.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:34 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
I think I kind of hate the word "millennial".

Old 04-16-2017, 10:53 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
I realize the headline (as they often are) was written to be an attention grabber, but it bugs me by implying that Millenials have snubbed NYC and SF due to believing they are inferior.

I agree with this to an extent. Cities like NYC and SF are absolutely a must for certain fields, and certainly a great benefit for many others, but for many Millennials it's just too much of an expensive lifestyle change in order to make the adjustment to move.

I personally considered moving to NYC recently, but the lifestyle that I've frankly grown accustomed to in Chicago simply wouldn't be replicable in NYC without a substantial salary increase that wouldn't be realistic at this point in time. I'm only 26, but I have no intention of living with roommates again. If I can't afford a studio in a decent and convenient neighborhood, then a city is frankly off the table for me. Chicago has spoiled me in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
They're not making a conscious choice to shy away from NYC and SF.

NYC and SF have more competition now. Austin/Denver/Seattle/Atlanta etc. haven't always been destination cities for young people like they are now.
This is probably going to get worse as well, at least on the regional level. For example, as more Midwestern cities slowly round the corner in terms of their improvement, they will be able to retain more of their younger residents who typically might have left for Chicago or maybe a city on the coasts in previous years. I'm not saying they'll be huge draws nationwide, but they'll do a decent enough job of holding onto people they used to lose more readily. Minneapolis is already ahead of the curve on this, Kansas City is coming into its own, Cincinnati just rejoined the growth club, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City