Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 PM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
I'm in my mid 20s, married, a techie and it still doesn't appeal to me. I live in florida, no state income tax and low COL and just got offered a job for 200k a year plus bonus in SF, with a very well known company, which is almost double what i make now. I initially thought, wow, I don't want to move to SF but it would be hard to pass that much money up. After taxes and rent, it would have been a roughly 10k a year pay increase, which then would have been spent on $4.00 a gallon gas and $200 a month to park my car. I would have never been able to afford a home there. I would have never been able to have kids, pay for day care, sit in traffic to pick the kids up and if my wife didn't work, we'd barely scrape by. The quality of life for anybody hoping to have a family and not live with 4 other dudes in a shack is terrible. It made no sense to me.

Right now I pay $1250 a month for a 2 bed, 2 bath place that is nice and safe. 4k a month in SF is the bare minimum to get something decent. I don't have to deal with traffic and i have everything i need within a 15 minute drive and the beach is 20 mins away.
Eh, is there also a better career track with that job offer? You don't have to live in SF forever, you just need to stay in the job for a bit to build your career/resume for a better job offer elsewhere (including back where you are now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eh, is there also a better career track with that job offer? You don't have to live in SF forever, you just need to stay in the job for a bit to build your career/resume for a better job offer elsewhere (including back where you are now).
You can build your resume in cities other than San Francisco.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Agreed. Ya know, some of the things written about us are really off mark, but other things are quite spot on. If I had $100 million, I'd still be right here in Atlanta. With a second home somwhere in between Seaside and Pensacola.

I still hold on to the belief that our generation is gonna be the one to change the racial tension in this nation. We are already known to be against the status quo. We know better, just still pretty much powerless at this point. Give us some time.
Thanks.There's quite a few cities that appeal to me that are not popular or even well-known.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:15 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
It's just a matter of preference honestly. I'm a millennial and when I graduated college, pretty much everyone I know either went to Chicago, DC or NYC. I think a few people moved to Atlanta and Columbus, OH but that's it.

If I didn't come back to DC, I probably would've went to NYC. San Fran is OK but I've never been interested in the smaller cities, maybe it's because I'm used to DC but they've never really appealed to me no matter how cheap they maybe.
Your right that it is just a matter of preference.Abilene,Roswell,Waco,DFW Area,Houston,Angelo,San Antonio,Corpus,Las Cruces,Albuquerque,Phoenix, and Lubbock all appeal to me a lot more than Chicago,DC,NYC, and San Francisco.I just would not be happy in somewhere like Chicago or NYC or San Fran but thats just me.I know that the stereotypical hipster millennial would be miserable living somewhere like Roswell,New Mexico or Abilene or Angelo

Last edited by C24L; 04-09-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 04-09-2017, 10:46 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
True but building a company in the new economy appears to be something people in and near SF do particularly well. You cant find the capital and infrastructure needed to incubate start ups anywhere like in the Bay Area. Period.

The proof is in the list of start ups that are now household names around the world. Very few are based outside of the Bay Area.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Compared to 20 years ago, the handful that have the qualities you mentioned have improved and now there are several additional cities or parts of cities that would have never made the cut twenty years ago. Cities (or parts of cities) like Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, Denver, Miami, San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Salt Lake City which altogether make a pretty varied roster.
Yeah, I agree it has improved a lot and I'm thankful for that. And for most people, they can find a city they like with some urban amenities. But there are still only about 5 cities that I would live in because the others just don't have a truly urban experience that can support a vibrant, car-free lifestyle.

American cities are still very American; car is first, transit is weak, walkability is ok, suburbs are richer, etc.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Of course you can. It's just that if the poster's in the tech sector, which was stated, and the job offer is from one of the major players, which I think was said, then it might actually be worth it for a few years even if the poster's essentially maintaining about the same standard of living instead of getting an upgrade. It's not just that it'll be a better looking resume, but possibly also learning some best practices that might not have wouldn't learn elsewhere (which people would factor in when looking at his or her resume).

I'm definitely not of the opinion that everyone should have SF or NYC--I think that mentality is ridiculous. However, I think where it does make a lot of sense for SF specifically is his situation.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I'm a millennial. Despite a salary putting me in the 60-70th percentile of earners, I moved to a Midwestern metro that certain types on the coasts would consider undesirable. Want to know why?

Because I could afford it.

This isn't rocket science.

Between needing to self-fund my retirement, deal with out of control healthcare prices, pay off student loans, and contend with a job market that has had stagnant wages for years - I also have to contend with exploding real-estate prices that have kept anyone not from upper-middle-class families priced out of pretty much any coastal city, so... after weighing all those factors, Michigan suddenly became more desirable looking than New York or California, not because it's nicer, in that traditional yuppified sense, but because it allows me to raise a family and even afford going out now and then. I may still be in a minority, but I'm certainly not alone. And this attitude applies to other forgotten cities like Cleveland, Indy, Pittsburgh, etc.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:08 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
It's just a matter of preference honestly. I'm a millennial and when I graduated college, pretty much everyone I know either went to Chicago, DC or NYC. I think a few people moved to Atlanta and Columbus, OH but that's it.

If I didn't come back to DC, I probably would've went to NYC. San Fran is OK but I've never been interested in the smaller cities, maybe it's because I'm used to DC but they've never really appealed to me no matter how cheap they maybe.
Not all Millennials are interested in the uber-COL, rat race coastal metros. There are plenty of major cities in the interior of the country that still have good job opportunities at a fraction of the price and hassle of the major coastal areas.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
The people that are born from 1980 to 1996 are the Millennial generation. Those born from 1997 to 2014 are considered Generation Z. Those born in 1965 to 1979 are Generation X. Baby boomers are those born from 1945 to 1964. The Silent Generation are those born in 1925 to 1944. The greatest generation ever are the GI Generation those born from 1900 to 1924.
Millennials turn their back on New York and San Francisco - MarketWatch

What happened to Gen. Y? Gen Y'ers seemed to fall off the face of the earth. I dare you to tell someone who used to be classified as a Gen Yer that they are now a millennial...they usually hate being grouped in as a millennial- especially those born pre-1985.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City