Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:20 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,207,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown and Santana Row are vibrant. Maybe you haven't spent much time there. Sidewalks are so packe at night that you can't get through at times.
Santana Row is fake urbanism bolstered by giant parking decks and across the street from a suburban mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 PM

266 posts, read 335,482 times
Miami if single
San Jose if married with children

Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,907,538 times
I actually never thought about it, but San Jose is actually really boring to be the third largest city in California. I was literally just there last weekend, and the downtown area is just as boring as tge rest of the city. For the median incomes in San Jose you're not going to go that far even making 100k a year.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:36 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I actually never thought about it, but San Jose is actually really boring to be the third largest city in California. I was literally just there last weekend, and the downtown area is just as boring as tge rest of the city. For the median incomes in San Jose you're not going to go that far even making 100k a year.
You were never there apparently because downtown is exciting, not boring.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Quiz: Where's Martin Luther King Public Library? Where's SoFA Market? Where's San Pedro Sq and what does it have? Where's the Tech Museum? Lastly, where's the city hall and what does it look like? If you answer correctly, then you know you're talking about and have an honest and valid opinion.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:29 AM

491 posts, read 475,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawksfan33 View Post
San Jose is an up and coming area, while Miami has been a city that has bloomed for a while. How does it match up with San Jose though?
Weather-San Jose has mild/dry summers (categorized by sun, with temperatures that are typically in the upper 70s to the low/mid 90s on rarer occasions), with mild and rainy winters. Miami has moderate/humid summers, and practically no winters. I have to hand it to San Jose on this one.
Crime rate-San Jose in it of itself seems to have relatively low crime, while Miami is known for having high crime. San Jose easily wins this one.
Cost of living-This is a close one. Miami wins just because it's a little cheaper on average though, even though it's still ridiculously expensive.
Job situation-You can get more bang for your buck in Miami. However, the unemployment/minimum wage there is lower, so San Jose, California wins hands down.
Transit-Miami wins here just because it's slightly easier to use. It also seems to be just a little bit quickly.
Education-We are talking about San Jose by itself, so Palo Alto and other surrounding cities are disqualified from this. San Jose has a decent university, but I've heard some mixed things about the school districts. Miami has several universities, and the reviews seem to be fairly good for the high school. I still will hand this one to San Jose though.
Downtowns-Downtown Miami is very touristy, just as San Jose's is very industrial (filled with some big businesses). Just because I prefer touristy, Miami wins.
Entertainment-San Jose has a big arena (where an NHL team plays), and arcades/a couple of water parks throughout the city. Miami probably has an NFL team, an NHL team (though it's not directly in Miami), an NBA team and an MLB team. There are also some aquariums there, a some beautiful beaches. It's also relaxing to sight see around Miami. Miami wins hands down.
Dining-San Jose has a very diverse section of restaurants. Despite that, it is limited compared to most other big cities. Miami likely has the same amount of restaurants (with only 400,000 people living there), but I can easily name more good ones there than I could in San Jose. Miami wins.
Airports-Miami wins, but that might be a story in a few years. San Jose's airport is growing at a quicker rate than any other airport I've seen has.

Overall: Miami wins, but that may very well be a different story soon. It certainly wouldn't have been this close of a comparison 5-10 years ago.
I would rather compare the Greater Miami area with the Greater San Francisco Area (the San Francisco Bay Area), since Miami's metro has about 6 million and San Francisco metro has about 7.6 million.

They're both big cities, but San Francisco is bigger and has more industry and larger higher tech base. Miami is more of a financial center, with many Latin American doing business in Miami and using Miami as a base to do business with the United States. Miami area also has more skyscrapers than the San Francisco area, and it looks as if Miami continues to build more. San Francisco is just a small part of the San Francisco metro area. Maybe you should compare San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale, which would be more equivalent cities.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:20 AM

23,613 posts, read 24,152,679 times
San Jose for jobs, Miami for partying!

Old 04-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
I would rather compare the Greater Miami area with the Greater San Francisco Area (the San Francisco Bay Area), since Miami's metro has about 6 million and San Francisco metro has about 7.6 million.

They're both big cities, but San Francisco is bigger and has more industry and larger higher tech base. Miami is more of a financial center, with many Latin American doing business in Miami and using Miami as a base to do business with the United States. Miami area also has more skyscrapers than the San Francisco area, and it looks as if Miami continues to build more. San Francisco is just a small part of the San Francisco metro area. Maybe you should compare San Francisco and Fort Lauderdale, which would be more equivalent cities.
San Jose area is completely its own area, not part of SF area at all.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:14 PM

153 posts, read 201,465 times
San Jose has a median home price over $1M, so it must be the greatest and most vibrant city in America.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,722,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose area is completely its own area, not part of SF area at all.
Says the guy who boasts about Levi's Stadium.....forget who plays there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City