Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 PM

405 posts, read 475,926 times

Advertisements

Based on:

Economy
Weather
COL
Shopping/Dining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,731,390 times
Economy: depends on what you work in, if your in the energy industry Houston wins, Technology Phoenix wins. Phoenix is on a roll with economic expansion but it doesn't mean you'll find a great job in any field.

Weather: Phoenix easily wins this for me as I do not like humidity or snow. But some people have said they prefer humid climates so again personal preference will drive this.

Location: Only one location on this list offers skiing, beaches and big mountains within 3 hours of downtown, that city gets my pick. Phoenix also offers easy access to other big cities like Las Vegas, LA, San Diego. As the 12th largest metro and a huge tourist destination Phoenix also offers a ton to do right in the city. It's also the only city with all 4 major sports.

COL: Houston may be the cheapest but I'm not too sure.

Shopping/Dining: Houston/Atlanta are bigger but Phoenix packs a good punch in both of these departments, I don't think you'd struggle with either of these in the 3 big cities.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:50 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Based on:

Economy
Weather
COL
Shopping/Dining
Economy: Atlanta has the best outlook currently. Houston is taking a hit.
Weather: Atlanta
Things to do: Atlanta then Houston
COL: Houston
Shopping: Atlanta
Dining: Houston

Old 04-14-2017, 04:01 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
A lot of Phoenix threads lately, wow:

Economy: ATL probably?
Weather: Phoenix
Things to do: Phoenix
COL: Houston?
Shopping/Dining: Most likely Houston

Old 04-14-2017, 04:51 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Obviously I know Jax, and pretty familiar with Atlanta and Houston. Don't really have experience with Phoenix and only been to Charleston once.

I would say:

Economy - Atlanta/Houston
Weather - Charleston
Location - Jacksonville (for me it's just preferential to be on the coast and surrounded by plenty of major cities)
Things to do - Atlanta/Houston/Phoenix...there is little you can find in one and not in the others
COL - Jacksonville easily
Shopping/Dining - Houston/Atlanta for plethora of ethnic foods, but Charleston stands out in quality per capita

Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Based on:

Economy
Weather
COL
Shopping/Dining
Economy: Houston. The slump is just that, a slump. Something that can easily be rebounded from, and not the depression that people make it out to be. Second place would be Atlanta, as its economy is robust and diversified, but not as powerful as Houston's. Phoenix is third place, and Charleston and Jacksonville are just so much lower.

Weather: Jacksonville, with Houston and Charleston tied for a close second. Both Houston and Charleston have at least one flaw in their climate that is minimized/absent in Jacksonville (Houston's higher summer heat due to UHI and inland location, and Charleston's greater cold during winter, being furthest north). Phoenix is just too hot and dry of a climate to be redeemable, while Atlanta gets too cold in winter; they both tie for last place.

Location: Houston, or Jacksonville/Charleston, depending on access to Latin America (Houston), or Europe (Jacksonville/Charleston).

Things to do: Houston, then Atlanta for raw offerings. Charleston in terms of tourist appeal.

COL: Jacksonville, no doubt.

Shopping/Dining: Shopping goes to Atlanta, due to the presence of high end retail offered. Dining goes to Houston, for both strong local cuisine, plus the greater amounts of foreign options.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Economy: Atlanta > Houston > Phoenix > Jacksonville > Charleston

Weather: Jacksonville I guess. The Southern metros are pretty similar but Jacksonville doesn't get the snow or extreme humidity. Not familiar with Phoenix but 110 degrees doesn't sound comfortable.

Location: Atlanta (Southeast) = Phoenix (California and desert) = Jacksonville (Southeast and Florida) > Houston > Charleston.

Things to do: The big three are obviously a step above the other two. All five have good nature options nearby.

COL: I'd guess Jacksonville > Charleston > Houston > Phoenix > Atlanta

Shopping/Dining: Atlanta > Houston > Phoenix > Jacksonville > Charleston

Old 04-14-2017, 06:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,444,160 times
Charleston is so much smaller than the rest of these, it's not really a fair comparison. I'm leaving it out.

Economy: ATL. Houston's may be larger, but ATL's is more diverse, which I'd prefer.

COL: Houston. Apparently Houston is one of the best large cities to keep most of your paycheck.

Shopping: ? I feel like all of them have the same chains and strip malls, with high end, low end, and walkable funky markets thrown in.

Weather: ATL.

Things to do: All 4 seem to offer enough.

Location: ATL/Jacksonville. Jacksonville is on the ocean, which is a big +, but ATL is closer to other large cities, and closer to home for me.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
^^ Personally, I'd leave Jacksonville out of this too. Charleston is closer to Jacksonville size than Jacksonville is to the other three.

Economy - right now Atlanta. More diverse. Houston has the bigger industry obviously but it's taken a hit. Houston has diversified though.

COL: Houston suburbs are cheap. Outer parts of Houston are cheap. Inner Houston, the villages, and a couple of other places like Bellaire are pricy. I don't think there's much of a difference between Houston and Atlanta. But I'll say Houston=Atlanta>>Phoenix

Location: Atlanta>Houston>Phoenix. I like the South better but Phoenix is close to Houston being that it's only a skip and a hop to great scenic sights, Vegas, and California cities and beaches.

Weather: Atlanta>Houston>Phoenix. I only have Phoenix last because it's drier than the other cities. The older I get, the more I tolerate humidity. I also love the Southeast thunderstorms. If I add the other too, I'd put Jacksonville after Atlanta and Charleston equal to Houston.

Shopping: Close but I'd say Houston=Atlanta>Phoenix. I don't know if Atlanta and Houston has anything like a Scottsdale though.

Dining: Houston>Atlanta>Phoenix. Houston is a very underrated foodie city with more diverse offerings. Just a tad more than Atlanta which has a tad more than Phoenix. I do think Charleston per capita could hold it's own here though.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:41 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Weather: Jacksonville I guess. The Southern metros are pretty similar but Jacksonville doesn't get the snow or extreme humidity. Not familiar with Phoenix but 110 degrees doesn't sound comfortable.
Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Location: Atlanta (Southeast) = Phoenix (California and desert) = Jacksonville (Southeast and Florida) > Houston > Charleston.
Charleston is in the Southeast too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City