Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 25,685 times

Advertisements

Great, thanks for the details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,869,272 times
This is an interesting exercise. It boils down to this, IMHO. If you want a big city, it's really tough to beat Chicago for cost vs benefit. It is a world class city, with incredible neighborhoods, amenities, nightlife, "importance", flights, architecture, history, food!, diversity, etc. It as close to NYC as you'll get with a relatively affordable price tag.

However, if the big city amenities aren't your driving factor, then I think places like Denver and Austin would be preferable. I don't think you'd necessarily have a woman problem in Austin. Sure, it's hipster, but it's also Texas. Ladies from here (Chicago) are increasingly taking their bachelorette parties to Austin. You also have University of Texas, which I'm sure has a plethora of non-hipster graduates who stay local.

But at the same time, Austin has a specific culture - you may love it or hate it. You sound a bit averse to the granola/hipster vibe and that is what Austin is proud to be, so be careful.

Denver is a nice place, but as others have said, it's expensive. I've heard that there is a bit of an uppity vibe brewing there. If you aren't a veteran of the Colorado hiking scene, you may feel like an outsider. Stories I've heard have indicated it's tough to break into a social scene in Denver.

I do not know as much about Charleston, other than it's a desirable vacation destination. It's a very small city, way smaller than the other three (Denver/Austin being way smaller than Chicago). And yes, harder to get to via airplane. I do know there is a very insular high-society crowd in Charleston - my guess is you won't deal with that though. It's famous for its food, as well. As far as living there every day, I'm not as sure about its viability. The southern culture abounds, and that's a very distinct culture that's extremely different from what you'd find in Austin, Denver or Chicago.

It's a tough choice. Culturally, I think Chicago fits you the best. It's very friendly for a large city, there are thousands of traditionally attractive women, and early 30s is a nice age to explore the bar and dating scene. But Chicago is not an outdoorsy place, and the winters can be hard for people not used to it (although these last 2 winters were quite mild). Note that Chicago's autumns are the best anywhere. I like our climate from May through about Thanksgiving, and then during the holidays you get traditional Christmas weather. It's the January - April timeframe that sucks.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
This is an interesting exercise. It boils down to this, IMHO. If you want a big city, it's really tough to beat Chicago for cost vs benefit. It is a world class city, with incredible neighborhoods, amenities, nightlife, "importance", flights, architecture, history, food!, diversity, etc. It as close to NYC as you'll get with a relatively affordable price tag.

However, if the big city amenities aren't your driving factor, then I think places like Denver and Austin would be preferable. I don't think you'd necessarily have a woman problem in Austin. Sure, it's hipster, but it's also Texas. Ladies from here (Chicago) are increasingly taking their bachelorette parties to Austin. You also have University of Texas, which I'm sure has a plethora of non-hipster graduates who stay local.

But at the same time, Austin has a specific culture - you may love it or hate it. You sound a bit averse to the granola/hipster vibe and that is what Austin is proud to be, so be careful.

Denver is a nice place, but as others have said, it's expensive. I've heard that there is a bit of an uppity vibe brewing there. If you aren't a veteran of the Colorado hiking scene, you may feel like an outsider. Stories I've heard have indicated it's tough to break into a social scene in Denver.

I do not know as much about Charleston, other than it's a desirable vacation destination. It's a very small city, way smaller than the other three (Denver/Austin being way smaller than Chicago). And yes, harder to get to via airplane. I do know there is a very insular high-society crowd in Charleston - my guess is you won't deal with that though. It's famous for its food, as well. As far as living there every day, I'm not as sure about its viability. The southern culture abounds, and that's a very distinct culture that's extremely different from what you'd find in Austin, Denver or Chicago.

It's a tough choice. Culturally, I think Chicago fits you the best. It's very friendly for a large city, there are thousands of traditionally attractive women, and early 30s is a nice age to explore the bar and dating scene. But Chicago is not an outdoorsy place, and the winters can be hard for people not used to it (although these last 2 winters were quite mild). Note that Chicago's autumns are the best anywhere. I like our climate from May through about Thanksgiving, and then during the holidays you get traditional Christmas weather. It's the January - April timeframe that sucks.
This sounds like a very well-rounded post and what you say sums up my feelings perfectly.

Austin would be great fun. I know it already as I lived a year of college there, but that was back before it became "hip"(ster). As you say I'm not into the 'granola/hipster vibe' which abounds in the Pacific Northwest, but I'm sure Austin is varied enough (and has enough weekend visitors) to avoid it. It has the advantage of me knowing people there already. However, I think I'd have to do another weekend there to get a better feel for it.

Denver sounds great on paper and I enjoyed the time there, but I've also heard that it's got a bit of a cliquey vibe to it, and being an outdoorsy ski bum there is hardly going to set you out from the crowd. Again, I'd do another weekend there (it's been about 2 years) and see how I like it. Being remote, I could also simply move there or to Colorado (or Canada, or Wyoming) for a couple of months in winter.

Charleston I know I'd enjoy as I love the South (and the gender ratio!), but as was discussed on the previous page, I'd have to live off-peninsula to get reasonable property value. I didn't visit these places when I was there, and would have to visit again before committing as I absolutely do not want to be stuck in strip-mall suburbia (even if it is close to a beach). So, another visit needed.

Based on that, I think my best bet is to go with Chicago for the time being (it'll be May, after all), avail of the good air connections by doing another weekend each in the other places, and make a decision toward the end of the summer whether to stick or twist.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badyogi View Post

Charleston I know I'd enjoy as I love the South (and the gender ratio!), but as was discussed on the previous page, I'd have to live off-peninsula to get reasonable property value. I didn't visit these places when I was there, and would have to visit again before committing as I absolutely do not want to be stuck in strip-mall suburbia (even if it is close to a beach). So, another visit needed.
That isnt what I said, but good luck with your choice. Chicago seems neat.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
That isnt what I said, but good luck with your choice. Chicago seems neat.
No, not saying our discussion completely turned me off, just know that I'd want to explore it a bit more first because (based on Zillow and discussions with my friends) I may not be able to live in the area I was targeting.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM

45 posts, read 53,679 times
I was pulled to Chicago by a job. I didn't have many choices during the recession. But Chicago living has been a pleasant surprise for me. The foods, urban scene, arts scene, dating scene, social life, city scape, affordability, public transportation, aviation access... all are amazing. I think Chicago is the best kept secret of America!

Regarding winters, it's true that I don't go outside much during the winters. I usually take vacations and fly to somewhere else, or do things at home, order delivery foods on GrubHub, ; or just study something online to to upgrade my skills and not going out drinking to save some money. I think I might be broke if it's warm all year round in Chicago, because I would go out way too much. The last few winters are noticeably milder (global warming?), not sure if this trend will keep going up.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:12 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,471,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badyogi View Post
No, not saying our discussion completely turned me off, just know that I'd want to explore it a bit more first because (based on Zillow and discussions with my friends) I may not be able to live in the area I was targeting.
I assume you want a higher density, walkable, bustling atmosphere, which is what drew you to downtown? What's your budget?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,869,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina21 View Post
I think I might be broke if it's warm all year round in Chicago, because I would go out way too much.
This is truth. There is soooo much to eat, drink and do. I am constantly seduced by it, to the point of using my credit card too much....

Even in the winter. So many incredible bars and stuff that are plenty warm, and with Uber being pretty affordable, you can go anywhere pretty cheap without being outside too much.

That's not to say there aren't times when I absolutely hate the weather. Or feel like my face might fall off. These, however, are not long doldrums but more acute in nature.

I'd imagine Seattle (OP's home) would be worse in a way, with the monotonous blanket of gray and drizzle for long stretches of time. Weather in the midwest can be harsh, but it's also diverse. Changes a lot, and quickly.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I assume you want a higher density, walkable, bustling atmosphere, which is what drew you to downtown? What's your budget?
Well, it seems to be the cultural and social hub of the city. Really pretty too. I'm definitely still considering it but would want to do another weekend there first with a better idea of what areas I'm looking that on my budget (which is, let's just say, $400k, and I'd want a 2-bed for that price).

Old 04-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I'd imagine Seattle (OP's home) would be worse in a way, with the monotonous blanket of gray and drizzle for long stretches of time. Weather in the midwest can be harsh, but it's also diverse. Changes a lot, and quickly.
Well, I'm not actually from here, I'm a foreigner (still Anglo) moved here for a tech job, from which I'm now transitioning to another job that's fully remote.

Today it's actually sunny in Seattle! A rare event. My reasons for not particularly liking it are in the OP.

Liking the sound of Chicago unless I have a drastic change of heart over the weekend, I'll be doing it for the summer at the very least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City