Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best metro in Florida?
Miami 82 53.25%
Orlando 26 16.88%
Tampa 46 29.87%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM

650 posts, read 867,278 times

Advertisements

Miami. I live here.

I mean, Orlando and Tampa are nice but compared to Miami they suck. You cannot beat the beach in Miami Beach. Or the nightlife. Miami has its problems, but the beaches, nightlife, and weather makeup for it.

Tampa and Orlando really have nothing on Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 07:29 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Poor Jacksonville! Technically it is a big league city with the Jaguars, but I do feel it gets forgotten about sometimes.

There are 6 categories that I personally use to weigh cities. Others may have more, but this is from my tastes though, so here goes, using those. I also generally factor in the region (within an hour) when making my decisions.

Urbanity (History/Culture/Density/Walkable Areas/Transit/Etc.): 1. Miami (just on sheer size as Miami's urban core honestly does not impress me that much) 2. Orlando 3. Tampa (I feel I should explain this one as Tampa's core does have an earlier start, and the area also has a Saint Petersburg. But, Orlando just feels centralized, safer, better planned out, and has a more interesting and varied network of suburbs, so I give it the nod)
Nature (Water Recreation/Trails/Green Spaces/Topography/Nature Preserves): 1. Orlando 2. Tampa 3. Miami (Keep in mind that this is subjective. Beaches only do so much to me, and while the Everglades is unique, it isn't exactly the most appealing nature. Orlando has significant forest cover, by peninsular FL standards throughout it's metro, plus freshwater springs and a scenic portion of the FL Trail and rolling hills, so it wins for me.)
Sports (College and Pro/etc.): 1. Miami (not significantly better than Tampa though) 2. Tampa 3. Orlando
Livability: Perhaps it's just because of the way I experienced it and I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, but Orlando feels the most livable. It has the safest city limits of the group, the most manageable traffic when factoring for toll roads, and is the place where it is easiest to find affordable housing in a safe/desirable suburb. Second is Tampa, and though I haven't lived there yet to say for certain, Miami is 3rd. It just seems like a very difficult/stressful place to live if you aren't already quite wealthy.
Location: 1. Orlando 2. Tampa 3. Miami (Relatively self explainable, but Orlando would be a logical choice for state capitol based upon access to other places in the state/region. Tampa is more isolated, and Miami is much more so.
Climate Not a vast difference, if anything, I would pick somewhere in North FL where summer is later to come and fall earlier to arrive. But, out of these 3, 1. Orlando 2. Tampa 3. Miami. Miami really seems to have very limited shade anywhere, and hardly gets any cooling stretches, though I suppose it is modestly cooler (give or take a degree) by the water during the summer. Tampa is a little better, but the Gulf keeps it sticky for a majority of the year, especially in the summer during the reverse west windflow. Orlando though inland, gets the most significant amount of shade, doesn't deal with as many risks from hurricanes, has a decent amount of shade if one knows where to look, cools off more during the winter, and has freshwater springs that stay 72* year round for summer.

JMO, but out of these 3, Orlando seems to be the best. I've lived in 2 of the 3 and spent some time in and almost moved to SoFla. I could make the case for Tampa Bay too, especially for people that love being by the water and water based activities (not as much of a selling point for me), in addition, the multimodal downtowns throughout the region, the impressive cultural assets (likely best in the state), that it's more established, has MLB, NFL, NHL, etc. I could also make the case for Miami as there is an exotic feel with the place, the Keys/Everglades, the high class lifestyle and nightlife found there, and just the vast urban network and diversity it has. It's a place I would try at some point. However, based on what I know now, Orlando would still rank 1st for me.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:46 PM

The point about distance to the beaches is a salient one. It's great to talk about how Miami's downtown is so close to the beach and stuff (many even assume Miami and Miami Beach are one in the same that have not visited). But, for a better indicator, here's the distance of the three major public universities (by attendance) in these metros to the beach. These are without traffic, and Orlando's trip to the beach doesn't pass through any major population centers and is along a 70 mph freeway, which could influence factors further, but, to the closest beach...
UCF->Atlantic Ocean 48 minutes
FIU->Atlantic Ocean 24 minutes
USF->Gulf of Mexico 42 minutes
Now, I suppose these reflect an advantage for SoFla, but anyone who has taken all 3 of these trips can attest that often, the FIU one ends up being relatively close to the time length of the UCF one, and USF generally likely takes longer. Also, to each their own on the beach argument. I prefer a beach with solitude, and there are not too many more secluded stretches of sand in FL than Canaveral National Seashore, within an hour of DT Orlando. Miami and Tampa have secluded coastal beaches too, but not on that scale.

I agree with others about avoiding swimming in inland lakes in FL, as much due to amoebas as anything, but, they are good for kayaking/boating still though, and the freshwater springs are fine for swimming, and are truly unique/underrated.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:48 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
This is no "battle" !

Miami is the "city" in Florida period !

Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This is no "battle" !

Miami is the "city" in Florida period !
If we are discussing "Big City" feel, then I agree with you, but considering the other factors discussed, it's hardly conclusive, at least not for everyone. Four, or even all five, out of the five criteria stated by the OP have very little to do with population size, density, etc. I'd say the one of those Miami clearly takes is culture, when culture is defined as the unique characteristics of locals, ethnic diversity, events, etc. That might be the Miami area's strongest suit. But, I'd argue that on high culture/artsiness, considering that the Tampa Bay area includes Sarasota and Saint Petersburg, that Tampa Bay very well might win based upon that definition of culture.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Neither, really. I'll pick Tampa over either of the two. Wouldn't wanna live back in Florida, though. Climate is about the same, but Tampa's cooler outside summer than Miami. I'd rather drown in raw sewage than live in Miami again.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Miami. I live here.

I mean, Orlando and Tampa are nice but compared to Miami they suck. You cannot beat the beach in Miami Beach. Or the nightlife. Miami has its problems, but the beaches, nightlife, and weather makeup for it.

Tampa and Orlando really have nothing on Miami.

What makes the beaches in Miami all that better than Tampa's? I personally think the gulf has better beaches anyway. (though the east side has better waves) Beaches in the panhandle are the top notch in the state. Weather is the same. Miserably hot for much of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a year-round summer, if it only lasts for three months!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:46 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,921 times
The results thus far are very ironic. I currently live in South Florida and nearly every person I have spoken to down here is thinking of or at some point has thought of moving to Orlando as they feel it is the better city, this leads me to believe that most of the respondents to this poll are not Floridians..

IMHO Orlando is the better city out of the three..

Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,097 times
Default Miami hands down

I lived most of my adult life in Florida, in various places: Gainesville, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Orlando. Miami is by far the best. Unlike the others, Miami is a "world class" city, which means it receives the same attention as New York, Paris, London, Tokyo etc when it comes to cultural and arts events. The airport gets you direct flights to just about any major city in the world. Living is easy, climate is magnificent, much better than Tampa or Orlando because it never gets too cold or too hot like in those cities. And the beaches are right there. A little bit more expensive maybe, but unless you are in your 80s and confined to your house, in which case you might as well live in a small town next door to a hospital, Miami will give you a better, more intense life.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:34 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
If I were ever to move back to South Florida Miami wouldn't even be in the equation. I would gladly live in Tampa or Orlando over Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City