Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which post-industrial/Rust Belt city will be first to regain peak population?
Chicago 22 24.18%
Philadelphia 25 27.47%
Detroit 4 4.40%
Baltimore 3 3.30%
Cleveland 6 6.59%
St. Louis 2 2.20%
Pittsburgh 7 7.69%
Other 1 1.10%
None 21 23.08%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 05:08 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times

Advertisements

On the bright side, if we warm the earth enough for all the ice to melt, sea levels will rise and DFW will become a coastal city. The proximity to water may then help moderate the weather in the region, so there are bright sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:25 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Regarding the popularity of Philadelphia so far consider the following in tandem with recent "immigration reform"..

[i][b]"While a drop from the sixth most populous region in 2014 to seventh in 2015 may seem incremental, experts say there's cause for concern: The region's growth was largely fueled by births offsetting others' departures.
Keep in mind that what you've pointed out for Philly is true for almost every large coastal metro area (plus Chicago) --- New York, LA, DC, Boston, SF, Seattle, etc. are all EXTREMELY reliant on immigration for population and economic growth, so any national policy change relative to curtailing immigration, particularly in terms of limiting H-1B visas, will have dire implications across the US for growth.

Even metro areas that have large net domestic net in-migration (i.e., Atlanta, Miami, Houston and Dallas) would become much slower growing without immigration, as immigrants comprise a disproportionate share of entrepreneurs and contribute highly to growth in those areas.

I'll also add that what you see in the Northeast and Midwest now in terns of very low birth rates is just a preview of what's to come nationwide. It's a creeping trend, but we're looking at a nation that is, for a multitude of reasons, having fewer and fewer babies.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-05-2017 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 PM

313 posts, read 336,836 times
Someone mentioned on a recent post that Philly had an advantage because of being a major knowledge center , well here some proof' 8 inductees to the National Academy of Science were from the Philadelphia Region ,4 from Penn and 4 from Princeton . That about 10% of inductees are from the Philly Region .
May 2, 2017: NAS Members and Foreign Associates Elected

Old 05-06-2017, 06:28 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtutaaa View Post
Someone mentioned on a recent post that Philly had an advantage because of being a major knowledge center , well here some proof' 8 inductees to the National Academy of Science were from the Philadelphia Region ,4 from Penn and 4 from Princeton . That about 10% of inductees are from the Philly Region .
May 2, 2017: NAS Members and Foreign Associates Elected
Putting Princeton in metro Philly is fairly generous. It's in Trenton's MSA and NYC's CSA (although I don't think CSA is a meaningful measurement for cohesive metro areas).

Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Why not? neither are at their peak populations but I think they could get there one day.
Two big. Plus I don't really consider either of them rust belt cities.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:36 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Two big. Plus I don't really consider either of them rust belt cities.
I've argued that Chicago get unfairly placed in the Rust Belt, simply because it's in the Midwest. Boston is a formally industrialized city that saw similar population loss, yet no one calls Boston a Rust Belt city. Neither Chicago north Philadelphia is rust belt, but I'd argue that Baltimore is.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've argued that Chicago get unfairly placed in the Rust Belt, simply because it's in the Midwest. Boston is a formally industrialized city that saw similar population loss, yet no one calls Boston a Rust Belt city. Neither Chicago north Philadelphia is rust belt, but I'd argue that Baltimore is.
I disagree with you. Being categorized as Rust Belt shouldn't be a pejorative as is often implied. I cannot speak to other formally industrialized cities that aren't categorized as Rust Belt. Chicago is unique from other Rust Belt cities with it's world class core. Huge swaths of the Chicago metro remain very Rust Belt. The Rust Belt is alive and well specifically south of the city and in NE Indiana. It has glaring Rust Belt features in it's infrastructure and port areas. Pretty much the entire Lake Michigan shoreline from Chicago's south side to the Michigan border is scattered with hulking obsolete behemoth structures standing in homage to the industries that were. Unlike NE cities that aren't Rust Belt it still has a large manufacturing base, especially in the suburbs.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You must have meant something different, as 50+ projects doesn't drop jaws. 5,000 projects, or 50+ hi-rises, on the other hand....
Chicago currently has 52 highrises, including a supertall, under construction right now.
https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map

Old 05-08-2017, 08:02 PM

403 posts, read 666,552 times
St. Louis has a good shot at it. We just need a new mayor, and a new police chief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City