Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times

Advertisements

I really like both. When I traveled for work, I spent a lot of time in Kansas City. On the Kansas side, I think Overland Park, Mission and Olathe are some of the nicest suburbs in the country. Downtown KC/MO with Country Club Plaza in beautiful. Touristy, a but a lot of fun. Arthur Bryant's rib joint is OK (I prefer Memphis dry rub at Rendezvous). The rivers, greenery and hills are lovely in the summer and fall.

I lived in Salt Lake many years back, and have spent a lot of time on business there too. Downtown SLC is more compact and KC seems to have better food and a more diverse club scene. But the natural setting and outdoor access between the valley and mountains is hard to beat.

I could live in either (if I were younger). Overall, I'd probably choose SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Salt Lake City in a landslide in my opinion.

Crime Rate: Kansas City is already up to 41 homicides this year. Salt Lake City has had 2 homicides this year.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...150616967.html

http://www.slcpd.com/ass3ts/uploads/...ol-3-No-18.pdf

Salt Lake City has only three small areas that are rough crime-wise: Glendale, Pioneer Park and around 2nd/Rio Grande. The rest of the city looks like Mayberry.

Kansas City has some really nice areas, but it has very large swaths of the city that have extremely high violent crime rates. The homicide rate has been actually higher then Chicago so far this year.

Economy: Salt Lake City wins this one. Salt Lake City has a very diverse economy, highest upward mobility rates and very low unemployment rates.

Kansas City likely has more jobs but it's a larger metropolitan area but Salt Lake City has one of the most stable, diverse economies in the nation.

Cost of Living: Kansas City by a wide margin. Kansas City has some of the lowest rents and lowest housing prices of any major metropolitan area. Salt Lake City is relatively expensive and the city proper believe it or not is actually get pricey. Salt Lake City has more affordable suburbs, but the city itself is an expensive Western City

Downtown: Tie. Kansas City has a better skyline. Salt Lake City is more of a retail downtown.

Transit: Salt Lake City by a huge margin: They already have the local light-rail with is TRAX and regional-rail which is Frontrunner from Ogden to Provo. The transit system is the cleanest and most modern I have experienced.

Scenery: Salt Lake City by a wide margin. Salt Lake City has mountain views from practically everywhere and is relatively lush for a western city. Kansas City though is more scenic then most cities with the hilly topography and lush spring thru fall.

I prefer Salt Lake City by a wide, wide margin. There is a reason why there are some many articles in national publications about it. Other then weather and winter inversion, it has an excellent infrastructure and quality of life.

I was in Kansas City several years ago for a small vacation and I liked Westport, Country Club Plaza and it had a decent downtown. The lushless and topography is very nice but much of the neighborhoods seemed extremely blighted.

Kansas City seems to have lots and lots of century-old wooden homes that had a good day perhaps a century ago but that have fallen into disrepair.

Salt Lake City has lots and lots of solid brick homes. There is a huge shortage of single-family housing there also so there are very, very few run-down single-family homes as they command a premium in Salt Lake City.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 05-15-2017 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 04:39 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
This is a tough one. One poster on here often posts fantastic pictures of Kansas City which has made me really want to visit. I've been to Salt Lake City and parts of the metro and thought it was pretty good. I think thus far I'd side with Salt Lake City, much of that having to do with its surroundings, but I do look forward to visiting Kansas City at some point.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:33 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
Nothing against SLC, it's a fine city with an outstanding light rail system in a spectacular mountain setting.

Kansas City's urban core makes SLC look like Boise in comparison.
KC urban core has large nightlife/restaurant Districts like Power & Light, River Market, Crossroads Art District, Crown Center, Westport and the Plaza.
Kansas City's arts scene, amenities, restaurants, live music and museums are simply in another league.
Yes, KC's downtown area is much larger and dense compared to Salt Lakes smallish downtown with long blocks and wide streets that are not very pedestrian friendly.

Regardless of the perception of size, Boise's downtown is a lot more intimate and vibrant and walkable than Salt Lake's. Downtown SLC is dominated by a few large "malls" which suck street life and vibrancy away from the rest of downtown. Downtown Boise has a great street engagement with narrow streets, trees, and ground level retail (an impressive mix of national and local stores for a city of its size) which includes a thriving restaurant scene.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM

146 posts, read 223,565 times
This thread is stupid and why anyone with half a brain would vote for SLC over KC is mentally deranged. You don't know anything about either city. SLC is minor league. You can see and do everything there is to do there in 1 day. Unless you are an avid skier, have a mountain fetish or are Mormon there is nothing else in SLC that KC doesn't have more and better.

Kansas City is a world class city full of art galleries, fountains, boulevards, museums, pro sports, history, architecture, historic art-deco towers, and fantastic new streetcar. Downtown KC has become one of the best in the country in the last 10 years and is predicted to have a downtown population of 30K within the next 5 years.

City Market
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...sas-city-4.jpg

Crossroads Art District
https://visitkcfiles.s3-us-west-2.am...crossroads.png

Crown Center
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/c816efb2b0...des-d70d60.jpg

KC's core aerials
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pspvs000rd.jpg

Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba77 View Post
This thread is stupid and why anyone with half a brain would vote for SLC over KC is mentally deranged. You don't know anything about either city. SLC is minor league. You can see and do everything there is to do there in 1 day. Unless you are an avid skier, have a mountain fetish or are Mormon there is nothing else in SLC that KC doesn't have more and better.
For someone who is so good at throwing out insults, you clearly know next to nothing about what Salt Lake City has to offer. I, on the other hand, am a native Salt Laker who currently volunteers in the tourism industry. Every time I work, I end up having to help people pick the best of what Salt Lake City has to offer, and they almost always end up saying something like, "Unfortunately we have only two days, so we won't be able to fit in anywhere close to all of the things you've suggested." I can easily find plenty of things to occupy a tourist's time for four to five days (even if they don't have a car) or a week if they do, and would care to venture up to about 40 minutes out of the city.

I could list a whole bunch of things there are to do in Salt Lake City, but that would be missing the point of the thread. I've never been to Kansas City, but I'm sure it's a great place to visit. On the other hand, anyone with half a brain should be able to pick up on the fact that this thread isn't even about what these two cities offer to tourists. It's about an overall quality of life, and that included a whole lot more than how quickly you could see the hot tourist sites. It's nice that you like Kansas City. If that's where you're from, I hope your attitude is not representative of the rest of the population of that city. If it is, maybe I should re-think visiting.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I like SLC. I reminds me of a smaller version of Denver which is one of my favorite cities. Despite what people may think of SLC as being conservative and mormon, I don't think the city feels all that conservative, especially compared to many cities in the south.

SLC is very isolated, but has a lot to do in the region if you like mountain activities. I would actually say that downtown SLC is comparable to KC's downtown as far as vibrancy or activity. KC's downtown is much larger and taller though and feels more like a big city. KC's urban core is also much larger and more built up.

KC's streetcar starter line is nice, but SLC has decent light rail system and street cars. SLC has better transit.

Plus the SLC airport blows KC's outdated podunk airport out of the water.

There is plenty to do in SLC, especially when you include nearby mountains. SLC has a large urban university near downtown while UMKC in KC is a good school, KC lacks a large university in the city.

It's a great place to visit. I always enjoy my trips there. But KC really does have quite a bit more to offer. It's just a larger, more established urban center. It has more attractions, more culture, higher caliber pro sports, amusement parks etc.

SLC is a neat place though. I can see why some people would choose it over KC especially if you like outdoor activities. KC really lacks a lot of recreation. People don't get out of their cars much there.

Personal preference.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:51 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Doesn't look like KC is "knocking it out of the ballpark" by the latest CSA rankings:

23 Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT Combined Statistical Area 2,514,748 +10.70%

24 Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS Combined Statistical Area 2,446,396 +4.41%

Salt Lake is larger and growing twice as fast as KC.

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Doesn't look like KC is "knocking it out of the ballpark" by the latest CSA rankings:

23 Salt Lake City-Provo-Orem, UT Combined Statistical Area 2,514,748 +10.70%

24 Kansas City-Overland Park-Kansas City, MO-KS Combined Statistical Area 2,446,396 +4.41%

Salt Lake is larger and growing twice as fast as KC.

Courtesy of Wikipedia.
Most of the growth in Utah is internal, people procreating.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM

451 posts, read 562,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxana10 View Post
They are both land locked...however Salt Lake is hreat in oublic transportation and has plenty of things to do if you get out the house...7 hrs driving to San Diego to the beaches and 4 hrs to Las Vegas...i have travelled quite a bit but SLC has a very clean downtown...do not drive if drink.get uber .taxy.train etc.very strict on drinking n driving...but thats a good thing
Your comment is disingenuous at worst and an exaggeration at best. Salt Lake to Vegas is 7-8 hours and to San Diego is 10.5 to 13 hours, depending on traffic. I've never made it to SD from SLC, or vise versa, in anything less than 11.5 hours (driving at night). Not sure where you're coming from, but its quite obvious you're trying to beef up SLC.

This all comes down to personal choice. In my own opinion, SLC wins in the scenery, transit, crime categories.

Kansas City wins with the downtown area. Salt Lake's downtown is dead and is catered to families with children. At night it becomes dead. Bars/Pubs are scarce and it is not a walking-friendly nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City