Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next urban, iconic, "big city"?
Los Angeles 53 21.99%
Seattle 63 26.14%
Denver 11 4.56%
Minneapolis 13 5.39%
Atlanta 33 13.69%
Miami 19 7.88%
Baltimore 5 2.07%
Pittsburgh 8 3.32%
St. Louis 3 1.24%
Other (please name) 33 13.69%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:56 PM

429 posts, read 479,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
To start off with: Nashville, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Raleigh, and Charlotte.
Ok, so you're trolling. Got it.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:29 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
No thanks. It's not worth it for the summers you have. I grew up in Florida. The winters there is not a positive because of how hot it is the rest of the year.
The difference is that leisure, fun, and life still play out unchecked in hot Southern summers. No such luck in cold Northern winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nationally or internationally recognized architecture, scenery, or palpable culture. Houston doesn't have that and probably never will.
Debatable. Especially architecture and, to a lesser extent, culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You have the same weather as we do...
Fantastic weather like the rest of the coastal South, compared to the vast majority of this country.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
Ok, so you're trolling. Got it.
That is a cop out response. You really need to do some research on US cities and their future growth. You don't list any Texas city on your list even though they are #4,#7,#9, and #11 highest in population and you are unaware of the growing cities of the South.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
I acknowledged your point about HERO, but still maintain that Dallas is more conservative. Maybe it's the churches. There was a thread about this a few years ago. Both cities have mega-churches. Dallas is more "mega-churched" than Houston, however.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...s-houston.html

It was an ambiguous debate, to say the least. One post there, #34, from a Dallas resident, summed it up rather nicely for me, though:

"Dallas is the megachurch capital of the United States. Dallas was ranked as the most Bible oriented city in Texas. People in Dallas tend to be very image-oriented and tend not to deviate much from the "norm" because it'll hurt their image. People in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, etc generally aren't like this, they give off a very laid back vibe (especially Austin and San Antonio), so it gives Dallas a serious sense of social rigidity."
Fair enough. The DFW area as a whole is indeed more conservative than the Houston area (see: 2016 county election results), but Dallas City limits are more liberal (because Houston's city limits are quite large). But the failure of HERO, despite popular belief, isn't an example of this in action (there were too many other variables involved in its failure).

Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,167,747 times
I got two unconventional votes. First one will be for Houston-because of its lack of true zoning, it has been growing with a lot of infill and small-lot construction with apartments and townhomes. It has been growing organically like a real city should and like older ones did in the past, so it definitely has a shot at being competitive with the listed "iconic" cities down the road. Other vote goes to Detroit. The amenities, communities, institutions, and urban fabric are in place. People are starting to appreciate the urban core again, and slowly but surely Detroit will be making its comeback. Also, the deregulated atmosphere (police power is focused on crime, not enforcing archaic zoning codes) means it will grow in the near future much in the way Houston is now.

Quote:
To start off with: Nashville, Richmond, Virginia Beach, Raleigh, and Charlotte.
These are nice cities but they don't even touch the ones already listed in the poll. Not in population (except Charlotte) nor economy nor historic built form (except Richmond). They may be growing faster but they have a ways to go before catching up. And they will never have the historic urban fabric that legacy cities like Baltimore and St. Louis have, not even close.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:57 PM

311 posts, read 314,202 times
Slightly surprised Detroit is not at least in the poll. It used to be in that elite tier but obviously has fallen on hard times. We have to remember, though, this is a city that once had 1.8 million people in an area only slightly larger than present-day Philadelphia. The city may never rise to its former heights but the structure is in place were it to happen.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM

429 posts, read 479,876 times
Quote:
That is a cop out response. You really need to do some research on US cities and their future growth. You don't list any Texas city on your list even though they are #4,#7,#9, and #11 highest in population and you are unaware of the growing cities of the South.
The criteria is urban, iconic, and "big city" amenities and vibrancy. None of the cities you listed come close on those categories. And the big Texas cities are all lacking in at least one of those categories.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:20 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
The criteria is urban, iconic, and "big city" amenities and vibrancy. None of the cities you listed come close on those categories. And the big Texas cities are all lacking in at least one of those categories.
If you named Atlanta, you might as well name Houston and Dallas.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:38 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Didn't expect Atlanta to be doing so well. I haven't been there since I was a child and I don't remember it as being urban, so they must be doing somethings right!

I voted for Miami, because I do think it is urban and felt it deserved more votes. Though, I think LA, Miami, and Seattle are, for me, the top three in this poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City