Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The next urban, iconic, "big city"?
Los Angeles 53 21.99%
Seattle 63 26.14%
Denver 11 4.56%
Minneapolis 13 5.39%
Atlanta 33 13.69%
Miami 19 7.88%
Baltimore 5 2.07%
Pittsburgh 8 3.32%
St. Louis 3 1.24%
Other (please name) 33 13.69%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,119,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
But more sunshine.
I think Dallas and Austin avg. the same total rainfall (in inches) as Seattle, but on far FEWER days and with WAY more sunshine. Seattle is a perpetual sprinkler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 12:19 PM

591 posts, read 821,259 times
Quote:
But more sunshine.
But colder

Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM

657 posts, read 803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Lol your city averages more rainfall
Far less rainy days though. Lots of rain when its does rain, but at least its over less days. Seattle has an average of 152 rainy days per year.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times
Quote:
But colder
If it's going to be cold, I'd at least prefer it to be cold and dry, with snow as precipitation, instead of cold and wet, with rain. Seattle's winter temperatures are almost the same as Philadelphia's, with warmer low points and nearly equivalent high points, so it's not as if Seattle is some winter paradise compared to much of the country. Add in the sunny day factor that we get here in winter on the East Coast, and this isn't a selling point for Seattle, at all.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:15 PM

591 posts, read 821,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
If it's going to be cold, I'd at least prefer it to be cold and dry, with snow as precipitation, instead of cold and wet, with rain. Seattle's winter temperatures are almost the same as Philadelphia's, with warmer low points and nearly equivalent high points, so it's not as if Seattle is some winter paradise compared to much of the country. Add in the sunny day factor that we get here in winter on the East Coast, and this isn't a selling point for Seattle, at all.
Who is calling it a winter paradise? Did you read above?
I was responding to your fellow Northeast poster, who stated that Seattle's appeal is hindered by its wet weather. Your fellow poster, in fact, made it seem as if Seattle is one of the only cities that could possibly be negatively impacted by weather, creating the assumption that the Northeast's phenomenal weather was a selling point (which is so incredibly false on many levels).

But worry not, while the Northeast enjoys its annual snowstorm, Seattle will flip CNN on to see how you guys are doing, have a little chuckle, then go back to its 50 degree/overcast weather.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:27 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times
Quote:
Who is calling it a winter paradise? Did you read above?
I was responding to your fellow Northeast poster, who stated that Seattle's appeal is hindered by its wet weather. Your fellow poster, in fact, made it seem as if Seattle is the only city that could possibly be negatively impacted by weather, creating the assumption that the Northeast's phenomenal weather was a selling point (which is so incredibly false on many levels).

But worry not, while the Northeast enjoys its annual snowstorm, Seattle will flip CNN on to see how you guys are doing, have a little chuckle, then go back to its 50 degree/overcast weather.
Well, that wet, overcast winter with low temperatures is a turn off to many. While Seattle is grinding though its annual Pineapple Expresses, the Delaware Valley will be out ice skating on its far more frequent sunny days. Because everyone has their preferences and you can spin annual weather events any way you want.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:30 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,223,571 times
Quote:
But more sunshine.
It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM

571 posts, read 1,174,400 times
I did vote for Seattle out of the options on this pole, not to be a homer because there are a few cities listed that I think are great contenders, but I do really think it's coming into its prime.

I find LA to already be quite iconic - cannot deny that. And it's definitely BIG. It's already there and has been for quite some time. NYC, Chicago, and LA will always be the big 3 in my mind at least.

I think Miami, and to a lesser extent Atlanta, are there as well. More recent arrivals to the scene than LA, but Miami is most definitely iconic and internationally recognized. It and Atlanta are both quite large and boast strong name recognition.

Others on the list (St. Louis, Baltimore, Pitt come to mind) are great cities in their own rights by all means, but I think they may have seen their prime and not sure they'll get back to that 'iconic' status they enjoyed years ago, not to say it couldn't happen!. Denver and Minneapolis are probably the most similar cities in the country to Seattle in size/stature, but I think at this moment Seattle is gaining momentum moreso.

I do think that Seattle is on its way to joining SF and LA as a premier West Coast city. This may be a homer bias, but I think it is iconic in some ways already, if only on this coast or in the US. I think most would see a Sbux logo or image of the Space Needle (for better or worse) and think 'Seattle'. Even if they're not sure where it is exactly or much about it. As some have noted as well, when people hear 'Seattle' they think rain - and that's name association and recognition in and of itself.

As this decade goes forward, Seattle's urban core is developing faster than almost any other major city in the country. Thousands of apartment units, millions of SF of office space, the largest deep bore tunnel project in the country and associated demo of a waterfront viaduct and rebirth of said waterfront, and ambitious mass transit expansion are all moving the city and region in the right direction.

I also think - and this is beating a dead horse - that the sheer corporate presence in this city is impressive for its size. Almost everyone uses or knows of Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom, T-Mobile USA, Nintendo USA, and the majority of Boeing's manufacturing and engineering operations - just to name a few. They're all here. The large Bay Area corporate titans are expanding operations in Seattle at a huge rate.

Even our landscape is iconic (to me anyway). Not many cities with a backdrop like this:

(image free to use/share from Wikipedia Commons)

Last edited by DJKirkland; 05-17-2017 at 03:34 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
I did vote for Seattle out of the options on this pole, not to be a homer because there are a few cities listed that I think are great contenders, but I do really think it's coming into its prime.

I find LA to already be quite iconic - cannot deny that. And it's definitely BIG. It's already there and has been for quite some time. NYC, Chicago, and LA will always be the big 3 in my mind at least.

I think Miami, and to a lesser extent Atlanta, are there as well. More recent arrivals to the scene than LA, but Miami is most definitely iconic in my mind and internationally recognized. It and Atlanta are both quite large and boast strong name recognition.

Others on the list (St. Louis, Baltimore, Pitt come to mind) are great cities in their own rights by all means, but I think they may have seen their prime and not sure they'll get back to that 'iconic' status they enjoyed years ago, not to say it couldn't happen!. Denver and Minneapolis are probably the most similar cities in the country to Seattle in size/stature, but I think at this moment Seattle is gaining momentum moreso.

I do think that Seattle is on its way to joining SF and LA as a premier West Coast city. This may be a homer bias, but I think it is iconic in some ways already, if only on this coast or in the US. I think most would see a Sbux logo or image of the Space Needle (for better or worse) and think 'Seattle'. Even if they're not sure where it is exactly or much about it. As some have noted as well, when people hear 'Seattle' they think rain - and that's name association and recognition in and of itself.

As this decade goes forward, Seattle's urban core is developing faster than almost any other major city in the country. Thousands of apartment units, millions of SF of office space, the largest deep bore tunnel project in the country and associated demo of a waterfront viaduct and rebirth of said waterfront, and ambitious mass transit expansion are all moving the city and region in the right direction.

I also think - and this is beating a dead horse - that the sheer corporate presence in this city is impressive for its size. Almost everyone uses or knows of Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom, T-Mobile USA, Nintendo USA, and the majority of Boeing's manufacturing and engineering operations - just to name a few. They're all here. The large Bay Area corporate titans are expanding operations in Seattle at a huge rate.

Even our landscape is iconic (to me anyway). Not many cities with a backdrop like this:

(image free to use/share from Wikipedia Commons)
Wow, sweet pic. You don't normally see the city from that vantage point.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,995,705 times
As I recall, there was a thread about polycentric cities located in different parts of the world. LA's configuration may be unusual for the USA, but not globally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City