Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:52 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Energy bust still in full effect. Most of the shrinking states (AK, ND, WY, OK, LA, WV) have economies heavy on fossil fuel extraction, and Texas's weak growth rate could be included as well. New Mexico is the only exception.

I'd like to see these numbers on a per-capita basis, because aside from this bust, and maybe a bit of a rust-belt revival, it looks like economic growth is tracking population growth quite closely.
New Mexico has an economy heavily reliant on energy as well. It has the southeastern portion of the state with oil, as well as the northwestern portion with natural gas. The economy is bad in both of those areas right now. The state's budget woes are blamed almost entirely on the lower amounts of income being generated from the royalties on the mining of natural resources in the state.

Albuquerque, Las Cruces and Santa Fe are all doing just okay in terms of economic growth, but since they aren't booming the weakness in the rest of the state, especially the northwest and southeast portions, keeps the state from posting overall growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Things change and just because TX has recently surged does not mean it will forever. Booms and busts are very real. I don't feel TX has had its "bust" moment yet. Just a slow down. Places like New York, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, etc. having stronger GDP growth than Texas is proof that no one stays on top indefinitely. CA was headed down a dark path until Brown. CA obviously has issues of its own, but GDP growth is strong.
But busts aren't inevitable. You may be overestimating how badly Texas will get hit. For all we know, the worst is over. Just because Illinois is currently seeing good GDP growth, doesn't mean it will for much longer. It is just as likely as Texas to see a bust any time soon.

Last edited by JMT; 05-13-2017 at 04:28 AM..

Old 05-11-2017, 01:48 PM

571 posts, read 1,173,503 times
Happy to see the Pacific Northwest showing solid gains - looks like WA had the greatest percentage growth! Thanks Amazon haha

Old 05-11-2017, 01:56 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
But busts aren't inevitable. You may be overestimating how badly Texas will get hit. For all we know, the worst is over. Just because Illinois is currently seeing good GDP growth, doesn't mean it will for much longer. It is just as likely as Texas to see a bust any time soon.
Thank you for reiterating what I just said, Parhe. I'm not estimating how badly anyone will get hit, I'm just saying I don't think TX has truly had its bust moment. Oil has been down, but it's still performing reasonably well. Busts do happen. For everyone. You can't honestly believe Texas is immune to setbacks when literally everywhere in the world has had them.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:45 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,846 times
I told y'all that GA would surpass NC again. And I'm of the opinion that we will further the distance in 2017. The three separate metropolitan areas and all the balanced growth in the world can't stop fate. But I love a good duel. And both states account for more than $1 billion in GSP.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:57 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I told y'all that GA would surpass NC again. And I'm of the opinion that we will further the distance in 2017. The three separate metropolitan areas and all the balanced growth in the world can't stop fate. But I love a good duel. And both states account for more than $1 billion in GSP.
It's crazy how close GA and NC has been in GSP and population over the last 30 years.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
The reality is that cities are the economic engines and the more a state has its population percentage associated with major metropolitan areas, the greater its impact on a state's GDP.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
Happy to see the Pacific Northwest showing solid gains - looks like WA had the greatest percentage growth! Thanks Amazon haha
Yep...economy is strong in the Evergreen.

Impressive in the West....Cali, Washington, Oregon, Zona, utah, Colo, Nevada all killin it.

Last edited by JMT; 05-13-2017 at 04:22 AM.. Reason: North America only

Old 05-12-2017, 10:24 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, I think there are some good reasons for the growth of those states, namely in terms of policy choices. Both Michigan and Indiana became right-to-work states. Meanwhile, Ohio slashed tax rates and cut government spending.
Most of the GDP growth in Michigan is due to surging sales in the automotive industry. However, it's expected that this surge in growth will stall out and remain flat in the near future and so to will Michigan unless more is done to diversify the economy.

Michigan is still under performing relative to where it was in the last couple of decades; total employment is still 8% below peak levels reached in the year 2000. It's progress, but not exactly time for celebration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City