Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM

403 posts, read 666,312 times

Advertisements

Both cities have such underrated beauty, with them being overlooked due to how small both of them are. How I would rank them:

Weather-Flagstaff's weather is the opposite of Tucson's and Phoenix's, with it having extreme winters and very mild summers. Santa Fe has similar winters, with slightly more extreme summers. Since Flagstaff's summer's just a bit too cold for me, Santa Fe surprisingly wins here.
Crime rate-Both are relatively safe cities to live in, but I'd give Flagstaff just a slight edge.
Job situation-This one surprises a ton of people. Santa Fe has one of the highest minimum wage's out of most cities right now, while Flagstaff's is $10 (due to Arizona laws). Santa Fe has an unemployment rate of 4.5% (which is surprisingly low), while Flagstaff's is 3.7%. As for diversity, I originally thought that Santa Fe's wasn't diverse, but I was wrong. Flagstaff's actually seems less diverse, so Santa Fe wins by a slight amount.
Cost of living=Santa Fe has a relative average cost of living, while Flagstaff is starting to become expensive. Santa Fe wins here.
Schools=Flagstaff wins here because it does kind of have a university.
Transit=Santa Fe's transit is very average, while Flagstaff's is kind of underdeveloped. Santa Fe wins here, even though the trains are developed in Flagstaff.
Downtowns=Flagstaff's felt small when I was there, but it did have some noteworthy places there nonetheless that I would go back and visit if I had the chance to. Santa Fe's felt big for a city with just over 80,000 people, with some good restaurants. I'd probably give Santa Fe this one, but it's exceptionally close. I could see how one could prefer the other one.
Scenery=I could write an essay comparing both, but I'll make it brief and just hand it to Santa Fe.
Airports-I wasn't fond of either of them actually. I'll call this one a tie.
Entertainment-I would probably give this one to Flagstaff, but that's only because of some of the scenery that one has easy access to.
Dining: Flagstaff had one astonishing German restaurant, while the rest of them were relatively average. Santa Fe has a very diverse selection of restaurants, with me having several go to ones whenever I visit it (I've visited it quite a few times as well). Santa Fe wins this one.

Overall: I like to refer to both of them as small big cities due to the big city feeling that both small cities give off. Santa Fe wins though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM

594 posts, read 698,304 times
Flagstaff, AZ !

Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,798,538 times
Santa Fe is a neat place that I like, and I like New Mexico more as a state overall than Arizona. However, I like Flagstaff a little more than Santa Fe.

That said, I think I'd still pick Santa Fe to live in over Flagstaff. Aside from it being in New Mexico and part of its culture, which is rather unique to the West and the U.S., it's also close to Albuquerque. Flagstaff is kind of out there on its own; Phoenix and L.A. are still a long drive from Flagstaff, although they both have more going on than Albuquerque.

Can't really go wrong with either, IMO.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
I prefer Santa Fe,New Mexico

Old 05-24-2017, 01:32 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Santa Fe, by a million miles. There isn't really anything special about Flag. Its a decent town, but Santa Fe is so much more beautiful, so much more historic, so much more fun.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:00 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,267,519 times
Santa Fe by a trillion miles.

Better in every way.

Even climate....similar elevation but Santa Fe is much better.

SANTA FE.......FLAGSTAFF
43/18.....jan......43/17
48/22.....feb......45/19
56/26.....mar.....50/24
65/32.....apr......58/29
74/41.....may.....68/35
84/49.....jun......78/42
86/54.....jul.......81/51
83/53.....aug.....78/50
78/47.....sep.....73/42
67/36.....oct......62/32
53/25.....nov......51/23
43/17.....dec......43/17

Both have similar january temps but Santa Fe temps rise quicker,
notice it's sept is almost as warm as Flagstaff's august!

Flagstaff also gets a ton of snow....too much snow....averaging 102 inches
Santa fe gets a more manageable 23 inches of snow per winter on average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City